www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 18-10-22, 01:26   #1
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Default Unfinished Business - No Scratch

Started a new 'no scratch' run through TR1 - Unfinished Business as it is my least played additional PC TR content. I arrived at the part where you get the shotgun. Its treated as a secret too.

The one thing I can not remember is if there is a way of getting back from the rocky platform where it is without sustaining damage. The best you seem to be able to do is lose about 1% - 2% with a simple hang drop. Tumbling on landing makes no difference and all other methods I've tried do more damage.

Any ideas/info on this?
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-22, 08:33   #2
DieSkaarj
Hobbyist

I seem to recall that the devs behind UB said that the fall damage was intentionally unavoidable in the TRGold stream from Tomb of Ash [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfUpkF0WYA8]
DieSkaarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-22, 00:49   #3
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Thanks for the info; saves me time trying again if there is no solution.

Edit
There's another unavoidable fall damage point in The Temple Of The Cat level where, similarly, LC suffers, at best, 1% - 2% damage from a hang drop when going into the pyramid.

I'd forgotten just how big that level was.

Interesting: I've just done the end of that level and tried the advice about how to beat the two mummy trap room just prior to final room with the sphinx.

Doing it no scratch: when the steps turn into a slide there was no way just by bending a jump to land on the now safe skull platform and staying there to kill the first mummy. Either it pushes LC off the corner where you land or when you get the chance to hop back to a safer part of it the mummy does you damage.

The solution, I'm sure must be known, is not just to do a bending jump to the first platform but to continue and do another bendy jump into the corner platform where you are totally safe. It only took three attempts to get there undamaged and you can pick off both mummies at your leisure.

Stella's walkthrough also mentions if you clear this room two of the mummies in the sphinx room don't appear. Not quite correct: the two at floor level do but on the next level up where normally two more attack they don't. But they are still standing there at the far end of the room and, for whatever reason are not triggered, at least not by LC's arrival.

Second thing is that, also as mentioned in the walkthrough, the room you need to get to you normally have to go round the long way to enter is open. But the moment LC steps through the metal bars reappear and she can't exit that way. However if you exit through the open entrance you'll see the bars have disappeared again.

Final thing is, again mentioned in the walkthrough, that the red carpeted drawbridge you normally have go round the top level to open is down already. What's not mentioned is that you can get to it quite easily from the start platform (top of the hieroglyphic covered column) at that middle level of the room. Jump into the nearest small alcove on LC's left when looking towards the drawbridge. If you get the angled running jump from that alcove correct LC will land on the red carpet area easily.

Last edited by fallenangle; 23-10-22 at 03:25.
Old 13-12-22, 10:42   #4
jeffareid
Explorer

I'm not sure about TR1, but if Lara can drop and grab something rather than land on her feet, she won't take damage. This lasted until TR6 - AOD.

Another option if there is a ledge directly below the ledge where Lara is standing, Lara can hop back with action, but release action before she grabs the ledge Lara is on, and Lara will fall forwards onto the ledge below.
jeffareid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-22, 12:50   #5
fallenangle
Archaeologist

That's all pretty well known stuff but useful to repeat it.

Problem with the first suggestion, entering the pyramid, is that there is nothing to pick up there. It is just a straight drop to the floor and even if LC hang drops from a position with the shortest fall height she still received that small amount of damage.

SPOILER:_

In TR2 on the roof just before you enter the Opera House there is a spike filled drop to a small area with one of the secrets. If you use that last grab/drop technique in the right place you can get down without any damage.

Interesting thing there is that a door which is locked the other side, inside the Opera House, actually opens or you would otherwise be trapped in the spike area.

So that 'trick' is actually a legitimate shortcut to getting inside the building.

Last edited by fallenangle; 13-12-22 at 12:59.
Old 13-12-22, 17:27   #6
jeffareid
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
Problem with the first suggestion, entering the pyramid
I'm not sure it's the same pyramid, but I recall a trick move sequence that allowed Lara to land on an intermediate level in the pyramid. I don't know if this translated into zero damage if Lara dropped from that intermediate level.
jeffareid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-22, 13:33   #7
fallenangle
Archaeologist

As I recall there is not an intermediate level there, I think you might be thinking of TR4.

In Unfinished Business I think LC drops to a slope below. As the grab-able edge is only at the front of the entrance 'hole' you can only hang from that and move left or right. You just have the choice of how far down the slope she lands and, obviously, the lower down, the longer the drop and the more damage she takes.