www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 21-11-22, 04:14   #1
Mr. Mr.
Hobbyist

Default TR1 Japanese Saturn version

So I bought the Japanese version of Tomb Raider for Saturn, mainly because I've always wanted to play the Saturn TR1, having grown up with the PS1 and PC/Mac versions. It's an interesting port- besides the obvious that the Japanese version has its own language dub, there are different loading screens on some levels, some of the sound effects are different (the raptors have a different shriek, for example), and most importantly: The second secret in Caves is inaccessible! It's too high to reach. I was stunned when I played it. Looking at some YT footage, it looks like it was like that in all Saturn versions, not just the Japanese one.

And why was the game changed to Tomb Raiders, plural? I guess you could argue that Larson, Natla, etc. are tomb raiders as well, but come on, there's only ONE tomb raider.

Anyway, I don't regret buying it because it's a different version and it gives me an excuse to play it again.
Mr. Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-22, 08:17   #2
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mr. View Post
The second secret in Caves is inaccessible! It's too high to reach. I was stunned when I played it. Looking at some YT footage, it looks like it was like that in all Saturn versions, not just the Japanese one.
Not really. I have a copy (NTSC-USA)and don't remember ever really having trouble accessing that specific secret when I was still playing it. Doesn't mean the Saturn version is not without its quirks. I've heard talk of only specific versions having cheats at all.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-22, 09:28   #3
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Ooh I like this!

Speaking to a few Japanese friends in the past about the title, common conclusion between us is indeed what you suggested, or that the Tomb Raiders are Lara and yourself, the player!

If you get to Tomb of Qualopec - take note if the secret room (many collapsible tiles over spikes) has a safety alcove with a static idol in it. This is present in the JP PS1 version. Curious if they also used the JP map edits on the Saturn!

I took a very crappy quality video of it long ago

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 21-11-22 at 09:31.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-22, 13:00   #4
Greatest TR
Archaeologist

As we had thousands of threads about the TR1 Japanese version over the decades. No reason to make another one, use the search history and it will pop up the old thread with loads of information.

The Japanese version is the best version because it was released much later in 1997. So the Core design had more time to fix and polish the game which the EU version didn't have. EU version is pretty much in the very late stage of the Beta version in my opinion.

The second secrete is accessible, go to the corner to the left, stand, and face against the wall where the ledge is above Lara head, Press and hold B button and press Up D-pad button and then grab the ledge and pull yourself up.

Handstands don't exist on Sega Saturn in all regions but Sega Saturn has Water wavy/reflection that PS1 and PC don't have and also Drawback distance is better on sega Saturn as well

There are a couple more but I can't be arsed to explain it but you get my point that TR1 JP is the best version for Sega Saturn.
Old 29-11-22, 04:59   #5
Mr. Mr.
Hobbyist

Having played some more of it, I actually don't agree that the Saturn version is better than the Playstation version. The framerate has a nasty habit of dropping to ~5 fps when there's too much on the screen, which I don't recall on the PS1 version. Or at least not so dramatically. And some sounds seem to be absent when they should chime in. And there are clipping issues that I don't remember from the other versions.

Again, still worth buying for the novelty of having the Japanese version but I would rank it like this: PC version (obviously) > PS1 > Saturn. Though both console versions earn points for music not found in the PC version, obviously.

Last edited by Mr. Mr.; 03-12-22 at 00:04.
Mr. Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-22, 15:55   #6
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Ooh I like this!

Speaking to a few Japanese friends in the past about the title, common conclusion between us is indeed what you suggested, or that the Tomb Raiders are Lara and yourself, the player!

If you get to Tomb of Qualopec - take note if the secret room (many collapsible tiles over spikes) has a safety alcove with a static idol in it. This is present in the JP PS1 version. Curious if they also used the JP map edits on the Saturn!

I took a very crappy quality video of it long ago

If you jump over the first falling block you cannot climb back up. Having that space to climb back onto is nice.