www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 12:08   #61
Gian Carlo
Professor
 
Gian Carlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post

plenty of other companies at the time (and most of all today) had already proven you can remake a game and improve on all aspects of it without taking away such massive amounts of content.
I disagree. I can't think of any remakes at the time except for Resident Evil back in 2002. They weren't even a thing back then.
__________________
No faith left for this franchise.
Gian Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:43   #62
redfox45
Professor
 
redfox45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Temple of Xian
Posts: 3,346
Default

And even the RE1 remake (in my uncommon opinion) screwed up/removed several iconic aspects of the game like the dialouge, enemies and soundtrack.
__________________
"They stay inside their little ponds"
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:10   #63
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter
 
jeffrey van oort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 5,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
And even the RE1 remake (in my uncommon opinion) screwed up/removed several iconic aspects of the game like the dialouge, enemies and soundtrack.
Every room, including the puzzles have been rebuilt for the Resident Evil 1 Remake. They couldn't leave out pieces of the human brain. (Which is what the mansion is modelled after). Even the dialogue is similar. They've added additional rooms, and puzzles to the Resident Evil 1 Remake, making the Resident Evil 1 Remake probably the best one on one remake videogame history has seen so far. What iconic aspects are you talking about?
__________________
Flames would not be eternal if they could dissolve.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:38   #64
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 20,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
And even the RE1 remake (in my uncommon opinion) screwed up/removed several iconic aspects of the game like the dialouge, enemies and soundtrack.
I'd say your the only person on the planet with this opinion which is factually beyond wrong.
__________________
Always Pondering; Real Queen; Anti GOP; Proud SJW
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:54   #65
Vaskito
Tomb Raider
 
Vaskito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 11,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Please don't take this as a personal insult or me trying to be condescending, I'm just saying why I think to you TRA feels like a better remake than it is.
But you ARE being condescending, weather it's intentionally or not it's up to you, but firstly because of how you're reacting to a simple question if you missed the context, because you've made a post implying they cut content just because, and secondly for this:


Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Well yeah, I'm sorry but you have a rather superficial view of what made TR good back in the 90's,
Please elaborate. I don't even recall having a conversation about this with you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
and it's hardly a secret how you don't see what the fuss about TR1 is about. You've said that you don't see the difference between TRA and Nicobass' TR2 remake, and that alone speaks volumes about how you put much more weight in the similar visual than the actual gameplay differences between them, and how Nicobass' fine tuning when it comes to gameplay made a massive difference, even though animations and moves were extremely close.
IDK why you're so pissed and suddenly making a whole post about me. I get TRA was not what YOU wanted to be, but you also don't hold the voice for the whole fandom. I don't expect a 1:1 when games are being remade, and no game is flawless. Every game has filler stuff which can easily be removed in remakes. If I wanted a remaster, that'd be a different conversation. In the end, any of us will have our own preferences about how we want remakes and I've simply expressed mine. I think TRA is a great remake, and I think it improves on TR1

As for Nicobass, it's literally an expansion of what was made with TRA. You can twist it to make it better than what it actually is (and I'm NOT saying it's bad) but it's basically the TRA of TR2, with prettier graphics and without the white paint. Is it an impressive project? ABSOLUTELY, especially considering it was not made by a company, so all props to that. You're welcome to disagree without making a fuss about it and poiting fingers at me.
__________________
We found each other through brokenness and now look how strong we are

Last edited by Vaskito; Yesterday at 16:00.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27   #66
VictorXD
Relic Hunter
 
VictorXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ฿-₳-฿-¥-⍸L-⌽-₦
Posts: 9,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo View Post
I disagree. I can't think of any remakes at the time except for Resident Evil back in 2002. They weren't even a thing back then.
Good thing google is your friend https://www.thegamer.com/best-game-r...-2000s-ranked/

Just because remakes weren't a thing like they are today, doesn't mean people weren't making them or that the general public wasn't aware of it back in the 2000's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
But you ARE being condescending, weather it's intentionally or not it's up to you, but firstly because of how you're reacting to a simple question if you missed the context, because you've made a post implying they cut content just because, and secondly for this:
I didn't.

Read my post again. I never said that they removed things just because. I said that when you remake something, the first thing you need to know is get to know your product, everything that worked and didn't. In a game, that includes it's length. They literally had to remove a massive amount of side rooms because of time. They bit off more than they could chew and they were honest about it.

And besides, remakes should be expanding the original and removing stuff that either didn't work or doesn't suit the remake the devs are trying to make. CD removed so much stuff that they had to merge two levels together to create one. This alone speaks volumes.
Quote:
Please elaborate. I don't even recall having a conversation about this with you.
We didn't have that conversation, indeed. I just remember it's something you said on at least two occasions, just not aimed at me.
Quote:

IDK why you're so pissed and suddenly making a whole post about me.
I'm not? Of all the stuff I posted, only one paragraph was regarding you. And it's not even you as a person, just the way you view the classics.

I'm also not sure were you got the impression I'm pissed as well. I haven't called you names, been shady or anything remotely similar. I'm as calm as the summer sea.

Quote:
I get TRA was not what YOU wanted to be, but you also don't hold the voice for the whole fandom.
I never said I did??

And my views and what I posted on this thread go way beyond just TRA. When I say "a remake should know it's original product intimately to create a good remake" it's not a standard I only hold up for TR. Hell it doesn't even necessarily come from a player perspective, it's something I hold true as a game dev myself.

If I were to remake a game, I wouldn't make a "X game but in a nutshell" where I take only what I consider good or memorable and just connect the "most iconic" areas lazily with some corridors.
Quote:
I don't expect a 1:1 when games are being remade, and no game is flawless.
Never said anyone should expect a 1:1 remake. In fact I like it when remakes swap rooms around and change the order of the gameplay. But I personally think that, if you are going to remove a room/challange from a remake, you should pad out its absence with content that is just as good. Which, in TRA's case, I feel like worked 50% of the time only.

And I also never said that no game is flawless.
Quote:

Every game has filler stuff which can easily be removed in remakes.
That's precisely the problem here. You fail to see the subtlety of how little things, when summed up, can change your experience of a game entirely.

And I really don't mind when remakes remove some filler stuff here and there. But the point I'm trying to make, which ironically you are failing to see, is that I'm saying TRA went overboard with it. They crossed the line of "filler" and walked right into "essential" territory. I mean, look at Palace Midas All it retained of the original were the puzzle rooms. There is no intricate and layered level design, some of the most iconic areas (like the aqueduct room) are missing too, the sense of getting lost exploring this huge complex is gone as well. And once again, I'll give you the example of merging The Cistern and Tomb of Qualopec together. Even if TOQ is a short level in the original, that's what's great about remakes, you can expand the original level and adjust it's length.

When it comes to removing stuff, there always needs to be some fine tuning. And that fine tuning is exactly where TRA fails horribly in my opinion both as a fan and as someone who hopes to direct their own games in due time.

Quote:
As for Nicobass, it's literally an expansion of what was made with TRA. You can twist it to make it better than what it actually is (and I'm NOT saying it's bad) but it's basically the TRA of TR2, with prettier graphics and without the white paint.
And greatly expanded moveset, a single level that has more colour and atmosphere than TRA in its entirety, it doesn't remove rooms without adding something else to make up for it, it has a much higher difficulty, the platforming is much more creative too, it manages to incorporate things more organically, both visually and gameplay wise. Also a big shout out to Nico for making climbable things that don't even lead anywhere, it greatly improves exploration, because you don't just jump to the closest ledge/pole you can see, you have to actually analyse your environment and try to map out your route. Level design isn't sacrificed in order to make the game fast paced too. And since you mentioned it, the lack of white paint makes a HUGE difference in and of itself.


So with all that in mind, I really can't agree that TR2's remake is anything like TRA other than visually. The HUD is similar, Lara looks similar, and the move set is clearly trying to imitate TRU, but other than that... The slightly different approaches on how to rebuild the original game make a HUGE difference in the end experience. It's not a good remake simply because it's impressive being a one man's work, it's a good remake because it understood what made the original work and Nico acted accordingly.

Quote:
You're welcome to disagree without making a fuss about it and poiting fingers at me.
No one is making a fuss here.
__________________
Persecution to all non Luds Gate believers may God's wrath fall upon you sinners

Last edited by VictorXD; Today at 01:28.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.