www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-10-22, 00:57   #31721
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

DuckStation is a really good emulator to play classic TR. The gesture controls that allow you to swipe between buttons to allow multiple presses is a game changer. I just wish I could play TRLE on my phone now.
Old 02-10-22, 01:36   #31722
Xenomrph
Historian

I'm playing through TR1's Unfinished Business expansion pack and I'm halfway through it (just now starting the Atlantis stuff).

The ending to the Egypt stuff was, uh, abrupt and unsatisfying.

The room with the running cats on the walls was really great though and paired well with the music, easily a highlight of the Egypt stuff for me.

I just wanted to share that.
Xenomrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 09:39   #31723
Xenomrph
Historian

Today I learned that there was a cross-sell promotion with Timex watches for 'Tomb Raider Chronicles, and the watch you can buy is actually featured in the game.
Old 03-10-22, 21:49   #31724
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Save crystals are brutal, I died in Tomb of Qualapec and had to start over because I was saving the crystal for later.
Old 03-10-22, 22:37   #31725
redfox45
Professor

Being allowed to save whenever/wherever is a nice luxury but there really is nothing like those save crystal games where screwing up a jump can set you back 20 mins. Where you hold your breath mid jump and breathe a sigh of relief when Lara makes it. I've really grown to appreciate that feeling.
It really brings the vibe the game is going for to life. No substitute for it.

If they ever do remasters i'd love all the PS1 games to have a hard mode with a TR3 style save crystal system and reduced pickups.
TR3's is much better as it's completely up to the player how long they want to gamble with no safety net, and getting the reward of more crystals to abuse at the end of the game.

Last edited by redfox45; 03-10-22 at 22:39.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 01:45   #31726
Xenomrph
Historian

Maybe Iím just Bad At Videogames these days but I just donít have the free time to recoup 20 minutes because I screwed up a jump, I much prefer playing on the PC where I can save-scum to my heartís content.
Old 04-10-22, 11:46   #31727
redfox45
Professor

Yeah sadly I doubt many of us are young teenagers anymore and our free time is much more valuable and feeling like it was completely wasted is much more annoying.

Something classic TR has always been bad for is players getting stuck and not knowing what to do or where to go. Not many people these days are going to be willing to run around for hours making no progress but some fans would insist that is what makes classic TR classic TR.
Old 04-10-22, 11:59   #31728
Yunaīs Wish
Tomb Raider

It all comes down to what you want "progress" to be like. I am of those that can see progress where there seems to be none. Getting stuck is part of progressing. And the more stuck you are, the more fulfilled you feel when you find your path or the solution to your problem.

Progress for the sake of moving on and getting to the next cutscene is fine for a game that I'd play for 15-20 hours and never ever touch again. That's not what I want for TR, but I accept it's what Crystal wants, unfortunately.
Old 04-10-22, 15:57   #31729
Xenomrph
Historian

I mean, Iím not playing off of walkthrough videos for my current classic TR replays, but Iím not afraid to break them out if I feel Iím genuinely stuck and need a bit of a hint. I havenít had to do it often, and otherwise itís genuinely been me figuring it out as I go.

Im still saving a lot before tricky jumps because like I said I donít have the time or patience to lose half an hour to a bad button press.
Old 04-10-22, 17:52   #31730
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Time is really relative tbh, I only play a game for a hour a day and it doesn't really bother me too much when I die. Failure isn't a step backwards necessarily, it's just another solution that doesn't solve the problem.

I don't look at games as I have to beat it, I look at games as a means to enjoy that hour I have in the day. If people change their outlook and perspective on gaming then they'd probably enjoy difficult games more.