Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 23-02-24, 15:50   #1
Mr. Mr.

Default Has Anyone Ever Estimated How Many Miles Lara Ran in This Game?

Just an interesting thought I had. Lara covers a lot of terrain in the first game alone- I have to wonder how many miles it is. Talk about a top athlete!
Mr. Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-24, 16:04   #2
Amlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mr. View Post
Just an interesting thought I had. Lara covers a lot of terrain in the first game alone- I have to wonder how many miles it is. Talk about a top athlete!
The distance travelled is marked at the end of each level, so maybe just add that up?
Amlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-24, 10:51   #3
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlux View Post
The distance travelled is marked at the end of each level, so maybe just add that up?
Not in Tomb Raider 1!
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-24, 16:12   #4
Amlux

^My bad, however the Remastered version does have this feature.
Amlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-24, 23:41   #5
Elmer

We were discussing the idea of a minimum distance challenge over at the TRII forum the other day. There Xtimz remarked there that the distance traveled is not a well-defined value. Sometimes the distance traveled becomes less over time. It would probably still be fine for the purposes of an estimate though.
Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-24, 08:09   #6
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
We were discussing the idea of a minimum distance challenge over at the TRII forum the other day. There Xtimz remarked there that the distance traveled is not a well-defined value. Sometimes the distance traveled becomes less over time. It would probably still be fine for the purposes of an estimate though.
I read this thread. Anything like wall embedding and glitching will cause the distance travelled to go all over the place, but for normal gameplay Xtimz just says 'sometimes the distance becomes smaller if you run more' with no real explanation of what they actually mean .

I always thought it was just 1 square = 1 m2 because Lara's distance seems to go up by 1 metre when you walk 1 square.

Last edited by TombHackR; 26-02-24 at 16:16.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-24, 22:23   #7
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
I read this thread. Anything like wall embedding and glitching will cause the distance travelled to go all over the place, but for normal gameplay Xtimz just says 'sometimes the distance becomes smaller if you run more' with no real explanation of what they actually mean .

I always thought it was just 1 square = 1 m2 because Lara's distance seems to go up by 1 metre when you walk 1 square.
If 1 square were 1 metre then Lara would only be 75cm tall. It seems a little odd the way it calculates it, 2 squares shows up as a distance travelled of 5m for example in TR4. I'm very curious to find out how the engine itself does it.

Officially, the scale is 1 block = 2.3368m (or 92"). This was taken from the TRLE manual that states 10 clicks tall (2 1/2 blocks) to be 19'2" off the floor. It also lines up with Lara's official height of 5'9" matching 3 clicks exactly, and roughly matches my 2 blocks = 5m ingame test presuming the engine will round to the nearest metre.

Last edited by Boobandie; 26-02-24 at 22:26.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-24, 16:41   #8
mathew9r

I always thought the KM distance was measured with each foot step animation(Feet measurements) and then converted into KM for each level.
mathew9r is offline   Reply With Quote