www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 03-02-22, 19:26   #1
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Default Amazon's LOTR: Rings of Power

Release Date: September 2022

Amazon just released all these posters for their new LOTR TV series - The Rings of Power.

I'm excited to see what they do with it. It won't cover the same story as LOTR, it's set in a much earlier period, at the time of the rise of Sauron (I think). They've used the book, The Silmarillion, as inspiration. I haven't read it so I have no idea what is to come except those hints given in the LOTR films about Sauron tricking everyone with magic rings, hence the title.

I am actually more into The Wheel of Time, which had a brilliant first season and is a completely new universe to me. Plus after The Hobbit..... (not the greatest ), my enthusiasm has dipped slightly, but hopefully this will be excellent too. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

I do think the official title (The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power) is not the best. It's too much of a mouthful and I think the TV series needs to differentiate itself away from the LOTR films, make their own thing.

I think possibly something more simplistic like Middle Earth or A Tale of Middle Earth, would have been better.... Definitely I think for the money and time they've spent on this, they could have given it a stronger name.

The posters look lovely though. I'll be very interested to see who those people are.

Anyone else excited for this?
Old 03-02-22, 19:28   #2
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Not really excited tbh. They butchered Wheel Of Time HORRIBLY.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-22, 19:47   #3
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Whaat?!! You didn't like Wheel of Time?

Why??? Are you a book reader?

I loved it tbh. I never read the books though so that might be a factor. Please don't tell me anything spoiler-y if you have read the books!

Last edited by Blackmoor; 03-02-22 at 19:49.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-22, 22:32   #4
Amunet
Archaeologist

I'm both excited and apprehensive about this show.

I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's books and I think it's exciting to have more of his work adapted.

I loved Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy and, although not to the same quality, I still enjoyed his The Hobbit adaptation as well.

I think Jackson and everyone involved in the production of these movies did a brilliantly job bringing Middle Earth to life, so the bar is very high.

As for this tv series, there really isn't very much to go by, but considering how Amazon handled Wheel Of Time, I'm very nervous about how this one will turn out. (I personally didn't read the WoT books, but I'm aware book readers were left disappointed. And even as a non book reader, I wasn't really impressed by the WoT series.)

So yeah, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. I'll wait to see more of it before making any final judgement.

I am dying to know if they got Howard Shore back for the soundtrack. I read a rumour he would be back alongside Bear McCreary. If true, that's at least one thing to look forward to.

I'd also love to know if the production is using Weta at all. Their work is flawless and it would be a shame not to use them.
Old 04-02-22, 01:13   #5
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Whaat?!! You didn't like Wheel of Time?

Why??? Are you a book reader?

I loved it tbh. I never read the books though so that might be a factor. Please don't tell me anything spoiler-y if you have read the books!
It just felt like a hugely disrespectful adaptation of the books. All the changes were extremely baffling and nonsensical IMO.
Stuff like Perrin having a wife and then accidently killing her or Mat's parents being awful people when in the books they were nice upstanding individuals all rubbed me the wrong way. Egwene and Rand sleeping together showed a fundamental misunderstanding of the characters and their culture. The two rivers area is very conservative, that's a key aspect of the books. Book Rand and Egwene would NEVER have sex before marriage lol. Or even Lan going from a stoic warrior who respects women to one that has sex out of a relationship.

All these changes just ended up fundamentally ruining what these characters are and how they'd develop in the future. Lots of readers absolutely HATE this show and for good reason tbh. Why adapt a property if all you're gonna do is just change everything? It's like the show seems to have a bone to pick with it's own source material. It's like if Robb Stark was changed to be a type of person that would sire bastards without a care in the world or changing Ned Stark to a cutthroat honor less man.

Last edited by biscuits; 04-02-22 at 01:16.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-22, 11:25   #6
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

^Hmm, those are interesting changes they made. Since I didn't read the books I can't tell if it helps or hinders their later characterisations. I mean I assume they're trying to set up later plot points.

But I can understand how jarring it would be to love characters in a book series and then have them changed personality wise in the TV show. Especially as they're the main characters.
I must admit I found the Nineave / Lan thing way too rushed and I'm not a book reader.

And her behaviour was stalker-y trailing him whilst he was visiting those old family friends. She was literally looking in through the window at him! I felt it did her characterisation no favours.

Yeah, it sounds like they sexed it up a bit with all those different relationships. Probably trying to GOT-ify it a little bit.

One of the things I loved about it though is the fact that it is in fact a
post-apocalyptic world that they inhabit. I just love that aspect of it.

And I loved the portrayal of the Dark One, played as charismatic and friendly, and the way he called Rand a fool and laughed at his heron blade. I thought his characterisation was an interesting take on the big "Evil One"of these types of stories.

I found most of the characters interesting, from the "villains" to the heroes. Very well cast, I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post

As for this tv series, there really isn't very much to go by, but considering how Amazon handled Wheel Of Time, I'm very nervous about how this one will turn out. (I personally didn't read the WoT books, but I'm aware book readers were left disappointed. And even as a non book reader, I wasn't really impressed by the WoT series.)
That's interesting. Any particular reason or just didn't work for you?

Quote:
So yeah, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. I'll wait to see more of it before making any final judgement.

I am dying to know if they got Howard Shore back for the soundtrack. I read a rumour he would be back alongside Bear McCreary. If true, that's at least one thing to look forward to.

I'd also love to know if the production is using Weta at all. Their work is flawless and it would be a shame not to use them.
I'm keeping my expectations in check too, mostly because of the source material they're using. It's not like adapting the LOTR books with a fully fleshed out story, I believe the Silmarrilon is quite turgid and not really an epic story like LOTR is, more a collection of tales and backstory / history. Which is going to be difficult to adapt and will require a lot more plotting and basically the writers will have to invent more storylines, characters and dialogues. It's not easy to do this as the GOT's writers showed with seasons 7 and 8, when they were basically writing off-book.

I have the same concerns for the GOT spin-off - House of the Dragon - which is using a collection of tales of backstory / history rather than a fully envisaged and plotted story, to adapt.

We'll see.

I'm not too bothered about Howard Shore returning. I loved his music and did buy some of the soundtracks because I loved it so much. But, I want the new series to be it's own thing.

I know that's risky and lots of people now think of the LOTR world as exactly how Jackson created his, but I'm up for a fresh take on Middle Earth... so I'm quite happy for everything to be new. For the Elves and Dwarves to be completely redesigned, music very different, scenery to be set in a different place, buildings and places to look very different.

Although I'll be on board either way.

I don't know definitely if Weta is involved but I know they did start filming in New Zealand, so I imagine they'll have had a hand in this. Although I did hear that subsequent seasons will be filmed in Europe and the UK, which is interesting.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 04-02-22 at 11:28.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-22, 13:28   #7
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
That's interesting. Any particular reason or just didn't work for you?
I don't know, something about it just didn't click with me. I never felt invested in the characters and the world.

Some interesting concepts and worldbuilding for sure, but idk, I felt like it was lacking something...

Quote:
I know that's risky and lots of people now think of the LOTR world as exactly how Jackson created his, but I'm up for a fresh take on Middle Earth... so I'm quite happy for everything to be new. For the Elves and Dwarves to be completely redesigned, music very different, scenery to be set in a different place, buildings and places to look very different.
See, I'm the complete opposite! Even though I know it's an entirely different production team, I truly hope the series doesn't feel so completely different from the movies. Because for me, the movies really captured Middle Earth and its people perfectly. Using John Howe and Alan Lee as concept artists really was a genius move imo as they're both legendary Tolkien illustrators.
Old 04-02-22, 13:42   #8
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post

See, I'm the complete opposite! Even though I know it's an entirely different production team, I truly hope the series doesn't feel so completely different from the movies. Because for me, the movies really captured Middle Earth and its people perfectly. Using John Howe and Alan Lee as concept artists really was a genius move imo as they're both legendary Tolkien illustrators.
From what I've seen you're in the majority. I think most people want this to be an expansion on everything Jackson has done.

And I think they definitely should let him have a small, few seconds cameo somewhere, you know like he always does in his own LOTR films.

September is too long away still, but hopefully some more revealing trailers will start appearing soon.
Old 04-02-22, 13:46   #9
Mani_Man
Relic Hunter

Havent seen too much yet to say anything really, they keep a tight lid on this.
The Posters are pretty neat however.

At the moment its impossible to say how this turns out, but Amazon will sit on the edge of their seat for sure, throwing a Billion into this project...that better be a success.

I will let the Episodes do the talking to see if it can capture the essence of LOTR.
I dont really need it to be accurate as hell, im way too much into artistic freedom and interpretation to demand that...but as long as they dont make it as much of an empty popcorn movie as the Hobbit movies were, im okay with it.

But again, we need to wait for more footage.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 15:19   #10
Pelagius
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
All these changes just ended up fundamentally ruining what these characters are and how they'd develop in the future. Lots of readers absolutely HATE this show and for good reason tbh. Why adapt a property if all you're gonna do is just change everything? It's like the show seems to have a bone to pick with it's own source material. It's like if Robb Stark was changed to be a type of person that would sire bastards without a care in the world or changing Ned Stark to a cutthroat honor less man.
Quote:
I'm keeping my expectations in check too, mostly because of the source material they're using. It's not like adapting the LOTR books with a fully fleshed out story, I believe the Silmarrilon is quite turgid and not really an epic story like LOTR is, more a collection of tales and backstory / history. Which is going to be difficult to adapt and will require a lot more plotting and basically the writers will have to invent more storylines, characters and dialogues. It's not easy to do this as the GOT's writers showed with seasons 7 and 8, when they were basically writing off-book...

...I know that's risky and lots of people now think of the LOTR world as exactly how Jackson created his, but I'm up for a fresh take on Middle Earth... so I'm quite happy for everything to be new. For the Elves and Dwarves to be completely redesigned, music very different, scenery to be set in a different place, buildings and places to look very different.
I have mixed feelings about this project, given that injecting woke anti-colonalist sentiments + Game of Thrones-esque moral greyness and political intrigue is both pretty far removed from Tolkien's worldview in general and, as you point out, the text of the Silmarillion itself.

At the same time, I think that the 2nd Age and the fall of Ar-Pharazon could, in principle, accommodate this kind of story. This is, after all, a period in which the Numenoreans are colonising the shores of Middle-Earth, including portions of Harad and Khand, and either establishing their own daughter-kingdoms or trading & allying with other polities in a buffer-zone between themselves and Mordor. Lots of potential for complex webs of betrayal and marriage and political complexity there. You'd have to walk a real tightrope between respect for Tolkien's somewhat manichaean and perhaps problematic source material- the Numenoreans are basically Atlantis-Aryans beating up on coloured folk in league with Satan's Little Helper- and the constraints of a respectful and nuanced representation of human diversity while tying up loose plot threads in both prior and succeeding historical periods. It's a pretty tall order, but the payoff could be huge.

The problem- as you point out- is that 90% of this is going to have to be invented out of whole cloth, and nothing about the writers' previous credentials or the various noises being made by the journalistic reporting apparatus inspire great confidence in this regard. (Black hobbits? Sure, those are even real things, but if you mix up black and white hobbits together for several thousand years in a big genetic blender, you don't get black and white hobbits out at the end.)

To quote from a reactionary commentator I listen to from time to time:
Quote:
I myself was lucky enough to miss the Star Wars and Star Trek crazes, but the Tolkien and Warhammer bugs bit me hard. Derivative or not it doesn't take much for me to pick up a book or game that takes place in one of these universes, even if I know it is by any objective standard bad. I'm that bastard from college who convinced you to read The Children of Hurin until you realized that it was basically Beowulf with elves and balrogs.

No apologies here man! Children of Hurin is good- even if it is, well, bad. The goodness of the initial text sometimes isn't even the important thing. The goodness of the universe can be enough. One feels a gravitational draw towards it- one is in love with its mythology, its shine, its lurking emotions never quite expressed.

Yet at the same time these fantasy and science fiction universes are the bane of dissidents. All of them have their origin in some text that is thoroughly reactionary, yet almost all are now corporate intellectual properties, kept alive by the effort of an older and more dedicated fan base. All are now ruled by a myopic corporate and activist class that care more about political messaging and profit than the coherency of the product itself.

The result is not hard to predict- an intellectual property slowly moving away from its core utility, still kept in its place of prominence for as long as its inertia lasts.
I'm sure a few of the long-suffering fans of Ms. Croft can relate.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote