Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 23-11-19, 14:13   #41
TokyoSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
The issue is that for the time being, WADTool has no animation export functionality (apart from its own format). What you can do is export the animation from the level to a .3DS file using TRViewer, the old way. Then you can import animations into WADTool as FBX or DAE (Collada).
ah lol
TokyoSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 16:21   #42
not again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
The issue is that for the time being, WADTool has no animation export functionality (apart from its own format). What you can do is export the animation from the level to a .3DS file using TRViewer, the old way. Then you can import animations into WADTool as FBX or DAE (Collada).
Currently there is no way to load a .3ds file with animation intact into Blender unfortunately - the .3ds plugin for Blender only imports the meshes without the animation.
Could anyone maybe share a sample animation in .fbx or .dae file format that has been successfully imported into WadTool as reference for Blender users on how the file needs to be structured for WadTool to load correctly? It would be incredibly helpful.

edit to add: animations exported with DaroAnimMaker can be imported into Blender but if you export the animation the way it is to .fbx or .dae then WadTool can't import those .dae and fbx files without errors. Apparently some things need to be shuffled around and maybe get re-named for WadTool to load the animation correctly.

Last edited by not again!; 23-11-19 at 16:31.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 19:26   #43
Lwmte

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
I've managed to import an animation without error message and the correct number of frames, but the animation itself wont play because according to the logfile the "bones do not have corresponding meshes in the meshtree and will be ignored".

I have renamed the bones following the list one can see in the animation editor on the right side (bone_0_root, bone_1, bone_2, ... etc) but it did not work. ;_;
Can you send me your anim file so I can check it?
I made animation importer very strict on checking integrity, but maybe some conditions should be removed.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 09:56   #44
not again!

A thousand thanks, Lwmte! I've sent you a PM with the download link.
I'm really impressed with the WadTool in general and love its animation capabilities!
Old 25-11-19, 10:07   #45
Lwmte

Thanks! I have checked your files, and there are problems with both of them.

Ones called "unmodified_ms3d_export" don't have meshes at all (or more specifically, there's one dummy mesh), i.e. only animations are exported, not actual model. WT requires exported animation to have exported model as well to reference meshes from bone animations.

Ones called "parts_separated_and_renamed" for some reason have different names for bones and meshes. Bones are called "bone_n" while meshes are called "mesh_n". How come that you have separate bones and meshes in your animation files? Those should be basically the same. If for some reason you have actual meshes and anim bones stored separately, you may try to rename bones "bone_n" to "mesh_n_anim". Generally, any bone which is storing anim information should have a part in its name which corresponds to target mesh name. Then animation will import correctly.

Last edited by Lwmte; 25-11-19 at 10:26.
Old 25-11-19, 10:23   #46
JMN

IIRC, in Blender bones are separate from meshes.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-19, 10:26   #47
Lwmte

I haven't used Blender, but I hope it's possible to rename both bones and meshes in it
Old 25-11-19, 17:42   #48
JMN

Of course, so bones should be named mesh_0_anim, mesh_1_anim, etc? Would this be enough or do you also need a certain tree structure? For instance, bones are part of an armature node.

Here's a Blender rig I've set up long ago which I never did anything with, maybe it will be helpful to test with:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfikjygske...Rig.blend?dl=1

On a related note, I'm having some trouble with the Assimp DLL which I think has been mentioned before. WadTool seems to require the 32bit version when importing models/animations, while Tomb Editor 64. Is there any way to fix this?
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-19, 18:54   #49
not again!

Thank you very much, Lwmte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
How come that you have separate bones and meshes in your animation files? Those should be basically the same.
That's how Blender imports the .ms3d file that was exported from DaroAnimMaker - Lara's model is one single mesh with an armature:

I've renamed the bones as you suggested and Lara moves now, but the animation is slightly messed up

It's supposed to be the original walk animation. And she definitely does walk but more like after several bottles of Gin
Blender does offer quite a few options to customize the export settings for fbx and I assume the problem is that the default settings aren't the ones we need. Now it's hopefully just a matter of finding the right export settings.
Old 25-11-19, 23:40   #50
Lwmte

Oh, I see... Anim maker tries to make rigged Lara model with a skeleton... That's really smart, but a bit useless without joints

The problem is, since TR originally uses tree-based animation system with ugly push/pop operations, there's no way to clearly predict order of bones without referencing meshes. Usually it imports ok if you haven't messed with meshtree, but the chance to mess things up is still really big. So, as additional safety check, WT checks bone names against mesh names, and additionally checks if amount of bones is similar to amount of meshes. This way it can clearly predict if original TR animation integrity is broken or not.

However, with TR5Main release becoming closer and closer, we indeed must think about working with animations in WT using rigged models - because internally, TR5Main already uses rigged models sewn from skin and joint meshes (meaning - theoretically you will be able to use rigged models for anything in TR5Main, not just Lara).

As for messed up rotations - indeed, you need to use specific options in Blender to import your animation correctly in WT. Most important option is swap X/Z axis - try this one first. Also, if it doesn't help, try to play with WT's own animation import settings (that window you see right after you've specified anim file to import).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
Of course, so bones should be named mesh_0_anim, mesh_1_anim, etc? Would this be enough or do you also need a certain tree structure?
No, as long as bone names are "synced" with mesh names (meaning - every bone name should contain full name of corresponding mesh name), you're good to go.

Quote:
On a related note, I'm having some trouble with the Assimp DLL which I think has been mentioned before. WadTool seems to require the 32bit version when importing models/animations, while Tomb Editor 64. Is there any way to fix this?
Yes, two or three people already reported this bug, we have it on issue list. Honestly, I don't know what to do and it seems more like assimp.net bug to me (there's an issue on assimp bug tracker with guy having similar problems). Also assimp.net is currently having version mess, I hope they fix it with release 5.0.0 which should be deployed soon.

Last edited by Lwmte; 26-11-19 at 00:02.