www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 16-01-20, 12:18   #1
Emix
Relic Hunter

Default Did Tomb Raider Deserve Even More Success and Praise in 2013? Was Lara Robbed?

I remember one thing that really pissed me of that year and that's Bioshock Infinite taking almost all the GOTY awards during the end of 2013 and early 2014. And according to me and my flawless taste, Tomb Raider was better and superior game! I honestly think about this even today, 7 years latter, that Lara was ROBBED that year and that both Tomb Raider and DmC deserved more, and this still haunts me. But they were simply hated by some ppl because they tried something new, different and fresh.

I am not saying that Bioshock didn't deserve any awards, but that has to be one of the most overhyped and overrated releases of the decade. Game wasn't bad, it just doesn't come close to first two Bioshock games.

So what do you think? Was Lara robbed that year? Do you think that Bioshock Infinite kinda overshadowed Tomb Raider when it comes to awards and praise? I know the answer but i want to hear yours.

Last edited by Emix; 16-01-20 at 12:23.
Emix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 12:57   #2
Samz
Relic Hunter

Nope.

Though from what I hear Bioshock infinite is massively overrated.
Old 16-01-20, 13:58   #3
TR1249
Archaeologist

Yes it was
Old 16-01-20, 14:35   #4
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Yes, Tomb Raider deserved more success and praise, and Lara was robbed. After TR2013, there was still hope for the franchise.

But unfortunately, SE/CD/EM’s terrible choices ruined everything. Everything went down-hill rapidly after that.

• TR2013 DE released in 2014 exclusive to next-gen consoles, with no patch add-on for PC
Quote:
There's no word on a PC release of Definitive Edition, however. "Today we are only talking about Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on PS4 and Xbox One," Amos said. "We are very happy with the PC version we released and felt these new additions and changes were something custom just for next-gen consoles at the moment."
• Rise Xbox Exclusivity
Quote:
“We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past—we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft. This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms…”
• The insistence on not giving Lara her iconographic features, even after teasing them multiple times
Quote:
"For us this is her defining moment. We’re not going to put her in shorts with double-pistols, wearing a bikini; that’s not what this is.
For this trilogy – not saying anything about later on, I don’t know about the future titles – but for this trilogy, the bow is still her signature weapon."
• The reboot’s sequels being infamous for ridiculous choices
Quote:
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Fan Uncovers Discarded Alternate Ending, Drama Ensues
~ Kotaku
Quote:
Shadow of the Tomb Raider review – makes Lara Croft look boring
~ The Guardian
Quote:
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is all about a darker, selfish side of Lara… with very safe gameplay
~ GamesRadar
Quote:
Rise of the Tomb Raider Handicapped Itself with Familiar Gunfights and Explosions
~ Escapist Magazine
Quote:
Shadow of the Tomb Raider review - latest reboot makes small strides but remains a shadow of the originals
~ EuroGamer
Quote:
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Ends Mystery Of Game's Eighth DLC
~ Kotaku
Quote:
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider's New Tomb Is As Awkward As The Rest Of The Game
~ Kotaku
Quote:
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Gets Review Bombed For Going On Sale So Soon
~ Kotaku
Quote:
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Fandom's Quest For An 8th DLC Ends With A Whimper
~ Kotaku

.....and more...

*Shadow Lara voice* All full up, can’t carry anymore!
Old 16-01-20, 15:30   #5
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I'm afraid not, the game wasn't enough excellent and tbh not enough respectful about its roots to deserve more praise. 85/100 on Metacritic and 11 millions of copies was incredible enough
Old 16-01-20, 19:51   #6
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I'm afraid not, the game wasn't enough excellent and tbh not enough respectful about its roots to deserve more praise. 85/100 on Metacritic and 11 millions of copies was incredible enough
Yep other series that were already shooters that copied the Gears of War play-style tended to die yet somehow 2013 got lucky unfortunately.
Old 16-01-20, 21:47   #7
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Yep other series that were already shooters that copied the Gears of War play-style tended to die yet somehow 2013 got lucky unfortunately.
Indeed because I didn't have any example in mind, haha ! Except Uncharted but this series did well.
Old 18-01-20, 04:25   #8
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Nope, should have crashed and burned.
Black Lives Matter #George Floyd #8can'twait
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-20, 14:39   #9
dg1995
Explorer

Nah.

2013 is a cover shooter game not a TR game.(It's also the only TR game that never had underwater swimming.)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 20:28   #10
tombkrc
Student

Nah, if anything it was massively overrated.