Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 21-01-20, 02:14   #11
Kapu

Outside of awards and such, TR2013 was hugely popular among my friends and coworkers. Most of them were not previous TR fans and hadn't played TR since the classics. IDK if it deserved more attention from the media, but it was definitely praised by the gaming audience, and that says more to me than anything. It sold like, 3 million copies in a month, right? That's incredible.

Like Tomb Raidering said, I think the game would have a better legacy if the sequels had been better. They were good games, but just more of the same.

Last edited by Kapu; 21-01-20 at 02:16.
Kapu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 12:58   #12
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Nope, should have crashed and burned.
And you would have lost the chance to put hundreds of hours into the reboot trilogy .
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 14:07   #13
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Outside of awards and such, TR2013 was hugely popular among my friends and coworkers. Most of them were not previous TR fans and hadn't played TR since the classics. IDK if it deserved more attention from the media, but it was definitely praised by the gaming audience, and that says more to me than anything. It sold like, 3 million copies in a month, right? That's incredible.

Like Tomb Raidering said, I think the game would have a better legacy if the sequels had been better. They were good games, but just more of the same.
I remember my friends in highschool would always joke me around because I was playing Tomb Raider and they thought those were really lame games.

Until Tomb Raider 2013 came out. They really liked it and even told me "I might even buy that game, it looks really cool".

So yes, it was definitely a necessary and good move to reboot the series.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 11:08   #14
OrangeJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
So yes, it was definitely a necessary and good move to reboot the series.
just so a bunch of highschool kids wouldnt see it as lAmE anymore? from an economical point of view, maybe. but this type of pandering is the fastest way to get your product to lose its personality.

anyway tr2013 is a gem and i love it but i think it was reviewed and received fairly. it does have a bunch of issues that prevent it from being a 10/10 or even just a 9/10 in my eyes.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 12:36   #15
Sir Launcelot

The worst is how they unbalanced all the weapons to make it acceptable from a kale-chomping feminist perspective.

The assault rifle ought to really knock out any solarii with a shot or 3, but it seems to have all the power of a boy's rusty 22 rifle firing black-powder shorts, while having the kick of a BAR.

By contrast, the bow is just a killer. It nails everything. And, magically, the arrows do not drop from gravity - there is no trajectory curve at all. Anyone who has fired a bow IRL can tell you how it takes skill to drop those arrows onto target even at short ranges, because the arrows drop so fast.

Lara's axe was/is great for brain-bashing melee combat, but she should have dropped the bow as soon as she got a rifle.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 14:07   #16
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
The worst is how they unbalanced all the weapons to make it acceptable from a kale-chomping feminist perspective.

The assault rifle ought to really knock out any solarii with a shot or 3, but it seems to have all the power of a boy's rusty 22 rifle firing black-powder shorts, while having the kick of a BAR.

By contrast, the bow is just a killer. It nails everything. And, magically, the arrows do not drop from gravity - there is no trajectory curve at all. Anyone who has fired a bow IRL can tell you how it takes skill to drop those arrows onto target even at short ranges, because the arrows drop so fast.

Lara's axe was/is great for brain-bashing melee combat, but she should have dropped the bow as soon as she got a rifle.
Honestly even despite that, I still used the Rifle more since I didn't have to draw the string back.

And once you get upgrades, the rifle does everything the bow does better, Sure the bow can get helmet piercing arrows but I can also fire two rifle rounds rapidly quicker than a single arrow.

And it's not exactly like Rifle ammo is even half as rare as it was in Tomb Raider 2 nor is the rifle bad for mobility unlike Tomb raider 2 and the combat in 2013 has no mobility anyway.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 16:59   #17
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Honestly even despite that, I still used the Rifle more since I didn't have to draw the string back.

And once you get upgrades, the rifle does everything the bow does better, Sure the bow can get helmet piercing arrows but I can also fire two rifle rounds rapidly quicker than a single arrow.

And it's not exactly like Rifle ammo is even half as rare as it was in Tomb Raider 2 nor is the rifle bad for mobility unlike Tomb raider 2 and the combat in 2013 has no mobility anyway.
A very short burst from the rifle to the body ought to just kill. Instead its like "pew pew pew!" and the Solarii goes "owwwww!" and then gets back up to come and kill you anyway.

Grenades are also annoying. They bounce. That type of grenade is not supposed to bounce. It should go off when it hits anything.

Also, if the code is in there for Lara to throw things, as you can see it is in some of the puzzles, why can't she have fire bombs like the Solarii, or maybe even hand thrown grenades that would be more realistic?
Old 27-01-20, 19:38   #18
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
A very short burst from the rifle to the body ought to just kill. Instead its like "pew pew pew!" and the Solarii goes "owwwww!" and then gets back up to come and kill you anyway.

Grenades are also annoying. They bounce. That type of grenade is not supposed to bounce. It should go off when it hits anything.

Also, if the code is in there for Lara to throw things, as you can see it is in some of the puzzles, why can't she have fire bombs like the Solarii, or maybe even hand thrown grenades that would be more realistic?
Don't the grenades still detonate on impact? I don't recall them bouncing, then again I also direct-fired them onto people so maybe they bounce if they don't hit anyone.

I could honestly control the rifle easily even with it's exaggerated kick and once I got upgrades I got lots of headshots, not because I'm particually good, the AI just pops up/down from the same spots and the generous zoom when aiming makes headshots great even for people like me who like sniping but roughly 70 precent of their sniper shots in TF2 are body-shots/misses.

By the time enemies had helmets I had enough recoil reduction attachments it was a non-issue, click, wait a split-second, click again for a kill, let go of mouse so I don't die, rinse repeat.

Last edited by Samz; 27-01-20 at 19:39.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 05:37   #19
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Don't the grenades still detonate on impact? I don't recall them bouncing, then again I also direct-fired them onto people so maybe they bounce if they don't hit anyone.

I could honestly control the rifle easily even with it's exaggerated kick and once I got upgrades I got lots of headshots, not because I'm particually good, the AI just pops up/down from the same spots and the generous zoom when aiming makes headshots great even for people like me who like sniping but roughly 70 precent of their sniper shots in TF2 are body-shots/misses.

By the time enemies had helmets I had enough recoil reduction attachments it was a non-issue, click, wait a split-second, click again for a kill, let go of mouse so I don't die, rinse repeat.
RE: The grenades, they blow up on impact IF they hit certain surfaces, like the multi-colored metal patchwork surfaces, like the doorway you blow up just after getting the grenade launcher, but otherwise they bounce around. I know this because for the last couple of days I have been playing the funner parts of TR2013 from Shantytown on. And they bounce. Which is really annoying, because the Solarii can get out of their way, if you try indirect fire with grenades at them.

And yeah, the rifle gets better towards the end of the game - it's good in the big battle with the Oni, and yes, you can do headshots with it - but it ought to be a superb close to middle range melee weapon too, like when you nail somebody at point blank range with the shotgun - if you use the rifle it should kill the same way, BAM-BAM-BAM!, but with less recoil - but it doesn't.

Another thing with the bow is, Lara shoots all those ropes with it, but would a rope anchored with her arrow actually hold her weight? I don't think so. IRL she'd hop onto the rope, slide a bit and then, "AAAAIIIIIH! *sob*" as she plunges into the depths below.