www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28-01-20, 12:52   #121
AimlessThunder
Professor
 
AimlessThunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 4,172
Default

Maybe they could have gotten more creative with Amelia's demise.. It would have been cool if there was a boss fight. Something like Marguerite Baker. He he. I guess it would have felt a bit out of place though, especially since the game had other bigger problems, like jerky animations and invisible walls..

I think this game would have felt like a more complete experience if they released the DLC on all available platforms.. Tsk! Such a missed opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
yeah underworld only really has its graphics, art style and soundtrack/ambient sound design going for it. other than that it's stupid as hell and boring.

oh natla is a bad bitch tho.
I know right? It's so frickin boring.. Also the relics and artifacts are absolutely annoying.. The chime gets on my nerves after a while.
The game has gorgeous graphics, to this day the cutscenes look amazing.
__________________
The definitive Lara Croft has less emotion than Kristen Stewart.

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 28-01-20 at 12:54.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 15:56   #122
Nigel Cassidy
Professor
 
Nigel Cassidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,837
Default

I would have had Lara have a conversation with her mother's ghost, who then informs her about something that helps her to save the world. That would make the whole endeavor have some meaning and a much more satisfying ending.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-20, 15:50   #123
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist
 
JoelCaesar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: 8th DLC's Tomb
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo View Post
Are you sure? lol Amanda explains that the Arthurian legend is true and states that Amelia did not die, but went to Avalon. She kinda took her word for it. Also Lara knew about the Arthur stuff preceding Legend. Possibly discussed this with he father as well. So she *had an idea* what Avalon was like.
No I meant physically. Like for all she knew it could have been a lush paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo View Post
At what point is that implied or stated? She was searching for her to find out what happened to her because she did not know. She had doubts and was hopeful. She was never like "Ah it's the NORSE UNDERWORLD, nvm she ded then." Amelia could have survived it, but was unlucky enough to not be able to activate the dais. Also, it was rather 20ish years.
Lara's mannerisms in Underworld give off that she just wants closure. In the final scene with undead Amelia she isn't shocked that she's dead, she's shocked that she got transformed by the Eitr.
__________________
Just think. You wouldn't be needing those unsightly weapons anymore. :)
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 00:15   #124
tempo
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
In the final scene with undead Amelia she isn't shocked that she's dead, she's shocked that she got transformed by the Eitr.
That scene always made me conflicted. I thought she was just shocked by the view because it was not what she fantasized about. That is actually some truly creepy stuff. When I first played the game I thought she was just turned into a mindless zombie. But watching it again I saw she actually seems conscious, and stands in a contemplating positions, then she goes towards Lara and goes for a hug. Then Lara thinking quick shoots her. I think she could have been restored with the machine Natla tried to use. I wonder when creating Legend what they had in mind for Amelia. There should have been way more, then this anti-climactic cutscene.
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 09:26   #125
ggctuk
Relic Hunter
 
ggctuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England, the NSUK
Posts: 9,085
Default

The more I think of Natla's plan, the less it makes sense. Was the Midgard Serpent the original plan? Was it a backup in case she couldn't trigger the Seventh Age using the Great Pyramid of Atlantis and the Scion? Why go to the trouble of creating mutants if she had an army of thralls at her command in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo View Post
That scene always made me conflicted. I thought she was just shocked by the view because it was not what she fantasized about. That is actually some truly creepy stuff. When I first played the game I thought she was just turned into a mindless zombie. But watching it again I saw she actually seems conscious, and stands in a contemplating positions, then she goes towards Lara and goes for a hug. Then Lara thinking quick shoots her. I think she could have been restored with the machine Natla tried to use. I wonder when creating Legend what they had in mind for Amelia. There should have been way more, then this anti-climactic cutscene.
The eitr is confirmed to instantly kill those who touch it then reanimate them. She was definitely nothing more than a zombie at that point, and that 'hug' definitely seems much more like an attack lunge than anything affectionate.

This, of course, doesn't appear to tally with the effects of the eitr on Natla, but Natla is immortal, which would halt the effects the eitr would have on her, since it couldn't kill her.
__________________
Don't buy rifles from T-Rexes - they're small arms dealers!

Last edited by ggctuk; 31-01-20 at 09:48.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 11:15   #126
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist
 
CroftManiac05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Στην κοσμάρα μου
Posts: 1,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
The more I think of Natla's plan, the less it makes sense. Was the Midgard Serpent the original plan? Was it a backup in case she couldn't trigger the Seventh Age using the Great Pyramid of Atlantis and the Scion? Why go to the trouble of creating mutants if she had an army of thralls at her command in the first place?
At the end of Anniversary she said "This island is just one remnant of Atlantis. I will find another", so yeah she probably had it planned. Does that make Helheim "a remnant of Atlantis"? Maybe getting the scion for Natla was easier than Thor's hammer?
__________________
Φιλας την αναπηρη?
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 15:06   #127
tempo
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
The eitr is confirmed to instantly kill those who touch it then reanimate them. She was definitely nothing more than a zombie at that point, and that 'hug' definitely seems much more like an attack lunge than anything affectionate.

This, of course, doesn't appear to tally with the effects of the eitr on Natla, but Natla is immortal, which would halt the effects the eitr would have on her, since it couldn't kill her.
Yeah I get what they tried to say with the Eitr thing. But then why is Amelia not like the other thralls? Or where are the other thralls who are not like the standard thralls. And why cant she do stuff like the other thralls? Also, the Doppelganger just dies when falling into the Eitr during gameplay, while she is a creature of the Eitr. And Natla just started to melt straight up when the plot needed that to happen, as in she had that little convo with the doppel and THEN started melting.

The way the Amelia scene was staged, makes it seem she is more than just a zombie. She did not act like the other thralls at all. She was in that standing position staring down the pit. She started walking towards Lara in a non threatening way. When the gun is pointed at her, she tries to signal with her arm to Lara to lower it. And that could have been a hug. She raised her arms before she actually would have reached her. If you watch it in slow-mo, I suppose it is more clear what I'm getting at.
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 15:21   #128
ggctuk
Relic Hunter
 
ggctuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England, the NSUK
Posts: 9,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
At the end of Anniversary she said "This island is just one remnant of Atlantis. I will find another", so yeah she probably had it planned. Does that make Helheim "a remnant of Atlantis"? Maybe getting the scion for Natla was easier than Thor's hammer?
The implication in the game is that Atlantis is spawned from Helheim, and not the other way around. I don't doubt their relation, but I think it just seems bizarre that she would go for an option that just 'spawns mutants' instead of one that tears the world asunder. On top of that, the phrase she uses does seem to suggest to me that she doesn't necessarily know for certain where these other remnants might be, or what they might hold. I guess that might just be lack of connective writing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo View Post
Yeah I get what they tried to say with the Eitr thing. But then why is Amelia not like the other thralls? Or where are the other thralls who are not like the standard thralls. And why cant she do stuff like the other thralls? Also, the Doppelganger just dies when falling into the Eitr during gameplay, while she is a creature of the Eitr. And Natla just started to melt straight up when the plot needed that to happen, as in she had that little convo with the doppel and THEN started melting.

The way the Amelia scene was staged, makes it seem she is more than just a zombie. She did not act like the other thralls at all. She was in that standing position staring down the pit. She started walking towards Lara in a non threatening way. When the gun is pointed at her, she tries to signal with her arm to Lara to lower it. And that could have been a hug. She raised her arms before she actually would have reached her. If you watch it in slow-mo, I suppose it is more clear what I'm getting at.
She didn't look like the other thralls because, quite simply, she hadn't been there that long. The others were there for centuries. For all we know, and I think this is the most likely scenario, Amelia had been there for 'days' (since it seems the dais can 'go through time' and the Himalayan dais was connected to the Bolivia dais activated at the end of Legend)



I'm not seeing any of those actions you mentioned there. If anything, Amelia's doing a typical 'zombie walk' and that definitely looks like a lunge at the end. I'm not sure the scene was staged intentionally in any other way than 'Lara has lost the thing she was looking for, in the most horrible way'.
__________________
Don't buy rifles from T-Rexes - they're small arms dealers!

Last edited by ggctuk; 31-01-20 at 15:24.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 17:25   #129
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist
 
CroftManiac05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Στην κοσμάρα μου
Posts: 1,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
On top of that, the phrase she uses does seem to suggest to me that she doesn't necessarily know for certain where these other remnants might be, or what they might hold. I guess that might just be lack of connective writing though.
I thought about this as well, but Natla killing Richard is already done by Anniversary, so she definitely knew about Avalon before the events of TRA.
Maybe it's just incohesive writing as you said.
__________________
Φιλας την αναπηρη?
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 23:07   #130
Tomb Raidering
Professor
 
Tomb Raidering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: In your screen
Posts: 3,142
Default

Just wanted to say: The lighting of this game definitely doesn’t do Underworld Lara justice. It’s like... she’s really good-looking in some areas, but when you move or do something... voila... there’s ugly Lara. She looks old and wrinkly in broken lighting. The angry facial expressions doesn’t help either...

And why is she so stylized??? The environments are realistic. Zip, Alister, Natla and everyone else’s realistic. But Lara (and her doppelganger) is just... too-doll-like. I didn’t like the clashing art style. Legend and Anniversary (and even Core’s AoD) was consistent with the art style.
__________________
TR needs to be about cities, discos and military bases again.

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 14-04-20 at 23:37. Reason: English
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.