www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 26-01-20, 12:52   #15621
SoraSakai
Professor

Tom Holland is not a big popular star. Spider-Man is.
And the general public has no idea what an Uncharted is.
The 2018 film is getting a sequel BECAUSE it was successful. You consistently do this. You over-analyze and freak out about the smallest things and it’s just...

I don’t know. Go have an ice tea. You need to stop getting so stressed. Especially in relation to a film that has no director, no public interest and whatever interest it does have (from fans of the series) is lukewarm at best.

No. The first uncharted movie, a franchise that hasn’t been introduced into that media yet, does not have a better chance of success in comparison to the sequel of a recently successful entry in a well-known and globally established IP.
Old 26-01-20, 13:09   #15622
Rai

I dunno, spot the obvious, but Nathan is male. Lara has already been likened to a female Indiana Jones, what does that make Nathan? Is the Uncharted film really without a director? IMDB names one. If that is false, then it makes sense why it's been delayed, but choosing March particularly was a below the belt move. It really does seem like they're saying 'we're breathing down your necks'.

I think Pinky might be partly right. Two action adventure films in one month could be asking too much from audiences, which the Uncharted lot is probably banking on. However, for a more positive spin, Tomb Raider potentially has two advantages - a returning audience from the 2018 film with TR and Alicia fans, and a female lead, which is becoming increasingly popular atm.

Edit: good points, Sora.

Last edited by Rai; 26-01-20 at 13:13.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 13:26   #15623
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Talking

I agree with all of you but just consider this: Tomb Raider has tried to experiment a bit with a serious tone and story (which hopefully Ben will expand in the sequel); I can see Uncharted take the generic Marvel-Transformers tone full of silly jokes mixed with big action, a format that is extremely successful nowdays...

Plus it even has the same cast as those other movies so you can tell they're making it to gain money.

I hope Tomb Raider wins this battle, only time will tell

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 26-01-20 at 13:29.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 13:34   #15624
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Our Joō is preaching facts again.

There’s still hope for Tomb Raider.
And negativity won’t help us at all. ^.^
Old 26-01-20, 13:50   #15625
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Premiere Mission Impossible and James Bond in the same month. You will see how they work. I repeat that this is the biggest problem. Two treasure hunter movies in the same month.

I love when people say "nobody knows Uncharted" when it is the most successful Sony saga of recent years. Marketing work is that ... sell it.

I have followed the production of Uncharted and they have everything ready. It is a great PRODUCTION with great AAA stars. They have delayed due to conflict with Spiderman but the locations (Colombia and Germany), the script, the casting ... everything was practically closed. I doubt they will delay it more when they were going to film this month. Simply they now have to change dates.

I am very relaxed ... I just think that if they don't change the date of one of the two movies, the second movie will be terribly damaged.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 26-01-20 at 13:57.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 13:55   #15626
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Premiere Mission Impossible and James Bond in the same month. You will see how they work.

I love when people say "nobody knows Uncharted" when it is the most successful Sony saga of recent years. Marketing work is that ... sell it.
Successful in gaming, not in the GP. There’s a big difference.

Lara Croft is an icon because there’s games, movies, comics, books, and cartoons about her. She’s famous, and indirectly Tomb Raider because of her.

What about Uncharted and Nathan Drake? 4 games, and......?
Old 26-01-20, 13:59   #15627
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Successful in gaming, not in the GP. There’s a big difference.

Lara Croft is an icon because there’s games, movies, comics, books, and cartoons about her. She’s famous, and indirectly Tomb Raider because of her.

What about Uncharted and Nathan Drake? 4 games, and......?
Lara Croft with her two guns, her braid, her backpack ... is iconic. The random girl they sell now with Alicia no.

Also, I repeat, whether or not you know Uncharted ... marketing will be: "the most successful adventure game" "the game that sells more than TR" "The movie that breaks the curse of video game movies (and the article will include TR2018 for worse)" and then the movie will be a great blockbuster of adventures with great American stars.

And then premieres in 2 weeks ANOTHER adventure movie, the sequel to a movie that had a regular reception ... The public will choose the new and fresh movie.

if you don't see that it may be harmed ..

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 26-01-20 at 14:04.
Old 26-01-20, 14:04   #15628
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Tom Holland is not a big popular star. Spider-Man is.
And the general public has no idea what an Uncharted is.
The 2018 film is getting a sequel BECAUSE it was successful. You consistently do this. You over-analyze and freak out about the smallest things and it’s just...

I don’t know. Go have an ice tea. You need to stop getting so stressed. Especially in relation to a film that has no director, no public interest and whatever interest it does have (from fans of the series) is lukewarm at best.

No. The first uncharted movie, a franchise that hasn’t been introduced into that media yet, does not have a better chance of success in comparison to the sequel of a recently successful entry in a well-known and globally established IP.
I agree, but you're underestimating the power of Uncharted.

Also, Tom Holland is indeed a big popular star. People would watch a movie just because he's in, especially teens (me too ). He's young, hot, normative, a lot of cover in social media and he's been part of a lot of successful movies since a kid.

I doubt the Uncharted film would affect Tomb Raider 2, but it'll get enough attention because of the title and the actor. Both movies will probably receive bad/meh critiques from the press and good reception from the general audience, that's my prediction.

@TombRaidering Uncharted has more than half the sales of Tomb Raider in half TR's life with half the games, all of that being an exclusive brand.

Last edited by SnatchingEdges; 26-01-20 at 14:09.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 14:09   #15629
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Lara Croft with her two guns, her braid, her backpack ... is iconic. The random girl they sell now with Alicia no.
If you don’t like Alicia Lara, why are so concerned with her movie?
Old 26-01-20, 14:11   #15630
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
If you don’t like Alicia Lara, why are so concerned with her movie?
I love Alicia! Hopefully she will continue to be Lara Croft for many years!

I am simply objective. The new Lara is less iconic than anything (Nobody dresses up as the new Lara on Halloween! because is just a normal girl). And I simply give my opinion analyzing things. I wish things were better for TR but I think that if there is no delay in either of the two films, TR will be the one harmed. Just saying!

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 26-01-20 at 14:13.