www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 03-09-16, 10:34   #501
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
If they can find a nordicfilmandtvnews.comat to make Sam hold her own that'd be great because I do think she'd make a good partner for Lara and two female lead dynamics are a rarity in many films. I guess if they plan to go down the Himeko route then they'd have to capture Sam at some point though.

I quite liked the dynamic between Frigg and Signe in Roar's Escape film but that was more mother/daughter whereas Sam and Lara would probably be more like sister/girlfriends on film.

Hoshi and Himeko have an excellent story that would be lovely to explore on film. The game certainly would have been a lot more coherent and mystical if they'd implemented it into the storyline instead of being optional logs because it explains the entire backstory and history to the island.
It would be one of the few big-budget films to pass the Bechdel test -- still on the edge of my seat to see who they cast as Sam!

I wonder if they could slip in a Hoshi/Himiko flashback sequence at the beginning, kind of that they did in Fellowship of the Ring -- but then the drawback to that is that you're revealing to the audience the mystery behind the island right off the bat. So while that wouldn't be a big deal to players of the game, most of the viewing audience would lose that sense of wonder/mystery that made TR2013 such an amazing experience.

So, sadly, I'd prefer no flashback scene...
Old 03-09-16, 10:56   #502
Zebra
Legend

^Like I've said before, you can cut the flashback into pieces and scatter them throughout the film. So you can have a small piece at the beginning that doesn't really give anything away and then gradually reveal more and more as the story progresses. I really hope they'll do that.
Old 03-09-16, 11:11   #503
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
^Like I've said before, you can cut the flashback into pieces and scatter them throughout the film. So you can have a small piece at the beginning that doesn't really give anything away and then gradually reveal more and more as the story progresses. I really hope they'll do that.
Nice idea, I even made a thread myself suggesting this not long ago.

The flashback scene at the beginning with Hoshi should be spoiler free, something like this:
Quote:
The movie begins with the obvious credits, some music in the background. The opening credits are shown in a distinct way and a temple is shown as the background with fixed camera angles. The camera then fades out and it switches to Hoshi sitting there inside the temple... awaiting the ascension ritual... knowing she would be selected as the next queen... knowing she was going to lose her soul... tension music plays in, slowly she takes out the dagger she stole from the storm guard general and commits suicide. Then it fades to the endurance crew at present day. This opening could be a great way to create mystery to the plot before it starts.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 03-09-16 at 11:16.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-16, 15:28   #504
Zreen001
Professor

If they're going to use one of Lara's friends as a descendant of Himiko, perhaps those flashbacks could come in the form of the friend's dreams?
However, this might dilute who the main protagonist of the film is, even though we know the protagonist is Lara.
Old 03-09-16, 15:49   #505
Zebra
Legend

^I'd like them to keep the Hoshi/Himiko backstory but if they make one of Lara's friends an actual descendant of Himiko, I'll kill myself. Not literally, obviously, but I'll definitely be palming my face so hard so it's gonna leave bruises. (...also not literally )
Old 03-09-16, 15:50   #506
Zreen001
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
^I'd like them to keep the Hoshi/Himiko backstory but if they make one of Lara's friends an actual descendant of Himiko, I'll kill myself. Not literally, obviously, but I'll definitely be palming my face so hard so it's gonna leave bruises. (...also not literally )
Is that not what happened in TR9?
Old 03-09-16, 16:21   #507
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
It did
Old 03-09-16, 16:22   #508
lizardspock110
Professor

I'd wish for them to lose the bow. Sure its great in gameplay but I'm indecisive whether I actually like it or not. Or at least let her use it only on the island and not her future adventures.
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-16, 16:29   #509
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
Yes, I'm just saying I don't want them to repeat it in the movie. It was already cringe-worthy enough in the game.
Old 04-09-16, 00:02   #510
Jorje Croft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock110 View Post
I'd wish for them to lose the bow. Sure its great in gameplay but I'm indecisive whether I actually like it or not. Or at least let her use it only on the island and not her future adventures.
burn it now