www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 17-09-14, 19:47   #1
Turbo Pascal
Student

Default Fexengine2 character test

Ok, i have ensambled an app like a sandbox which is the same i am using for testing my fexengine code for test collision and animations into freeform geometry.

This is not somthing definitity or whatsoever, just somthing I put togeter and cleaned up from technicall stuff to allow regular people play with it.

This test app idea is to allow to build some geometry with textures using metasequiola (or any Cad that export to Mqo or ms3d...so far) and then drop a Lara object into it and just play.

I included some Mqo examples so you can run the test inmediatly, but those mqo are the same cubic Tomb raider maps you know, the idea is that you can build and test new kind free geometry that plays well with Lara character.

This is the link:

http://www.dxtre3d.com/temp/fexengin...ractertest.zip

EDIT:
ALTERNATIVE DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/f992a3af

UNCHECK "use our downloader manager..." options, so you will download just the zip.

My server bandwidth is limited, so if you download and then host the package in an alternative link i will be very gratefull.

- There is included a PDF document, it have the instructions on how to use this app, please read, it is short. The app should work with sounds and with a background track, if you have any problem with sound please run soundsetup.exe for select a working software sound device available.

-The app and all Lara animations are setuped to run in a fixed 71 fps, if your computer cant handle that then animations will look choped.

- At status bar there is some info about map amount vertices and triangles,let me know how much big is the map you where able to plug and still plays at 71 fps. you can use biggers texture for your map (2048x2048), using less textures pages then better rendering performance.

We will talk about more stuff after you play the test.

good luck.

Turbo Pascal.

Last edited by Turbo Pascal; 19-09-14 at 02:26.
Turbo Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-14, 20:18   #2
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Whenever I try to import the test levels I get a message like this:

'-14.0000' is not a valid floating point value
Old 17-09-14, 20:37   #3
Turbo Pascal
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post

I wil update the package as soon i get home, meanwhile select from your windows control panel, regional setting and select for your computer that your number format use comma as thousand separator and dot as your decimall separator.

EDIT:

Updated the package wich resolve the regional setting error about invalid floating values when importing Mqo files.

Last edited by Turbo Pascal; 18-09-14 at 01:48.
Old 17-09-14, 23:19   #4
raiderromero
Archaeologist

Hi, nice to hear news from you Pascal, i have always admired your work

I tested my manaus brazil current level im working on, and loads fine, so NGLE levels are supported, anyway trying to mesh smooth the rooms will cause a :

65 to 71 frames are kept anywwhere, but couldnt test "any kind of geometry" due to that error message.

From what i saw i really like the lightning,It was much more natural than the old engine, i have sun bulbs in every room, maybe in later updates you can add the 3d real time shadows.

The camera is a bit confusing, as far as i remeber in TRA,TRU etc, lara would head to the "front" cameras direction, in current camera you can rotate 360 and lara will follow a static direction, but its not that bad i think its because im not used to this mode, its just that you had "more control" with the mouse of lara heading direction.

Collision did work very well.

Last edited by raiderromero; 17-09-14 at 23:29.
raiderromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-14, 00:37   #5
laralives
Professor

I'm assuming bandwidth exceeded...
Old 18-09-14, 01:10   #6
Mokono
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Pascal View Post
My server bandwidth is limited, so if you download and then host the package in an alternative link i will be very gratefull.
And with your blessing, i'm posting an alternative download link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post

Same happens to me, even though my computer already has dot as decimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralives View Post
I'm assuming bandwidth exceeded...
Here you go.
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-14, 14:23   #7
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Just letting you guys know, downloading from the datahost alternate link, AVG gave me a virus malware warning and removed it..

Tried to edit a testmap a little bit and saved over the MQO.. the exe then crashed while trying to load it... Shame

Last edited by dcw123; 18-09-14 at 14:51.
dcw123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-14, 15:31   #8
Barry Matharoo
Professor

Tested it and it works fine. The only problem is lara is spawned out of map in a few levels and I am unable to walk. But when she is spawned in a few maps correctly she works ok. When I tried making her jump+grab ledge she went jump+grab ledge+ladder animation and then she let go of the ledge.
Old 18-09-14, 15:45   #9
TR-Freak
Professor

^Pressing F9 lets you fly.
For Climbing up a ledge you have to press Jump (like in Legend, you have to press Space to climb up).
The Ladder Animation is simply a placeholder i guess, since she's doing it, only if the wall she's hanging on is big enough.

I really start to like this. It's nice to see some progress of the FexEngine
Old 18-09-14, 16:51   #10
Turbo Pascal
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Just letting you guys know, downloading from the datahost alternate link, AVG gave me a virus malware warning and removed it..

Tried to edit a testmap a little bit and saved over the MQO.. the exe then crashed while trying to load it... Shame
UNCHECK "use our downloader manager..." options, so you will download just the zip.

Quote:
he only problem is lara is spawned out of map in a few levels and I am unable to walk.
Use manual player position button and then use keys pageUP and cursor key to move Lara into the map, but you will have to use the mouse and zoom out to find Lara.

Quote:
anyway trying to mesh smooth the rooms will cause a acces violation:
It can be done, but not like with this demo test, the smooth option will add to the room geometry hundred of "litle tiny triangles" to texelate the geometry, which they are fine if used for visuality only, but in this test demo app calcs the Collision data from that geometry and those hundred tiny triangles are too small for build a usuable collision data.

What we can do is to import and build the collision data with the normal geometry map, and the visual rendering data from the smoothed map version. You can have seen this in games like in Legend and others where you CANT go to anywhere becouse some visuals are added after the collision data. I will have to provide an additional tool for that.

Quote:
When I tried making her jump+grab ledge she went jump+grab ledge+ladder animation and then she let go of the ledge.
The Grab is automaticly once the ledge was detected, CTRL key is for drop, and alt key is for Climb.

Last edited by Turbo Pascal; 18-09-14 at 17:26.