www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 16-01-13, 21:49   #131
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
the original sprite 19 (i think) is part of the background image for the inventory used in the PS version. i don't think there actually is a shadow sprite, since the PC shadow is just a partially transparent octagon. like Lwmte said, the PS shadow might have been the lens flare sprite reused. but AFAIK there is no PC counterpart.
I'm thinking the same thing since I can't remember anyone ever mentioning it.
Besides, if the shadow would be a sprite we would have been able to edit it without having to use TREP, I guess...
So, yeah, you're probably right about there not being a shadow sprite in the PC version.

Right now I'm quite happy with those new TREP (FLEP) patches for the TRNG tomb4.exe.
Next thing I'm really looking forward to is those clear backgrounds.
I prefer setting texture depth to 32 bits because it makes the textures look better but this setting does cause those ugly grey stripes when going into the inventory for example.
I sort of worked around it by using a custom compass item with a simple flat background but I still get the stripes in certain other menu's, also when using the SaveGamePanel.
Old 17-01-13, 10:58   #132
meta2tr
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Usually rendering and gameworld updating are asynchronous, but in case of TR4, gameworld and rendering functions are interconnected.
This is really interesting. I found some information on the way it's done in the Unreal Engine 3, here's an extract :
Quote:
"we have the rendering thread that handles all in-game rendering. We have the gameplay thread that handles all game-plays and uses AI. We have some hopper threads for physics."
Full article here
meta2tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 15:24   #133
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Basically it's every variable in the game logic is calculated with every frame rendered to the screen. The more efficient or flexible way would be to have the game logic to calculate for itself, feed information to the rendering and then have rendering show stuff on the screen.

Again I'm only guessing, but perhaps the frame-by-frame processing is what accounts for the very specific, almost pixel-accurate gameplay that depends a lot on animation and relation of the characters with the scenery?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 15:47   #134
raiderromero
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
I'm thinking the same thing since I can't remember anyone ever mentioning it.
Besides, if the shadow would be a sprite we would have been able to edit it without having to use TREP, I guess...
So, yeah, you're probably right about there not being a shadow sprite in the PC version.

Right now I'm quite happy with those new TREP (FLEP) patches for the TRNG tomb4.exe.
Next thing I'm really looking forward to is those clear backgrounds.
I prefer setting texture depth to 32 bits because it makes the textures look better but this setting does cause those ugly grey stripes when going into the inventory for example.
I sort of worked around it by using a custom compass item with a simple flat background but I still get the stripes in certain other menu's, also when using the SaveGamePanel.
its pretty horrible i had to play in windowed mode so that my images were shown in game and im not really happy with the matter anyway everytime i open the inventory this annoying message is shown, the screen turns black and then appears that ugly grey stripes
[IMG]http://i47.************/15fm5ih.jpg[/IMG]

In english it says that the combination of colors is not compatible with the program im running and so the combinations of colors is changed to basic mode.
Old 17-01-13, 16:25   #135
Titak

I actually don't mind that black screen of your inventory...
I made my own inventory background dark blue.

Btw, I already told you that the grey stripes are caused by the 32 bit texturedepth in the game setup.
So you can get rid of them by changing to 16 bits.
But that does affect the texture quality. So it's your choice.

I personally prefer the grey stripes over less quality texture since the grey stripes only appear when going into the inventory or some menus.
Old 17-01-13, 16:46   #136
raiderromero
Archaeologist

^yes i know but i like 32 bith textures as well so ill have to live with that im afraid
Old 17-01-13, 16:59   #137
Titak

We made the same choice then.
Hopefully the clear backgrounds patch will arrive soon.
Old 17-01-13, 18:05   #138
meta2tr
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Basically it's every variable in the game logic is calculated with every frame rendered to the screen. The more efficient or flexible way would be to have the game logic to calculate for itself, feed information to the rendering and then have rendering show stuff on the screen.

Again I'm only guessing, but perhaps the frame-by-frame processing is what accounts for the very specific, almost pixel-accurate gameplay that depends a lot on animation and relation of the characters with the scenery?
As well as this, being able to distribute parallel tasks to separate cores, rather than executing everything in one core, improves performance.
meta2tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 19:27   #139
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Well, no classic Tomb Raider remake on Unreal Engine for us anytime soon
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 20:33   #140
raiderromero
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
I actually don't mind that black screen of your inventory...
I made my own inventory background dark blue.
how did you do that? did you create a face covering all the screen in metasequoi inserted in the compass item or something similar to get that background, i wanna insert an image when going to the inventory i think ill use this method, the only problem is that the maximum size of the image is 256 x 256 unless i use meta2tr and divide the "face" in several parts and then edit it in metasequoi to ad more tiles and put them together to get a background image from 1024 more o less

Last edited by raiderromero; 17-01-13 at 20:35.
raiderromero is offline   Reply With Quote