www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 18-01-13, 20:40   #161
Delta
Historian

Wow this FLEP is really an excellent work, congratulations

About the bars, what if you use sprites instead of the real bars?
For example one or two sprites will be used for bars' background/border, and then other sprites for the remaining health/oxygen/dash/damage/extra points.
The sprite will be shown completely if you have 100% points, otherwise it will be cut depending on the percentage of remaining points.
In this way the bar will be completely customizable in its appearance, also will be possible to make something like the TRU HP "bar".
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-13, 09:39   #162
psiko
Archaeologist

@teme9: with meta2tr it is possible to use 256x256 for each sprite, I've been using this size for every sprite of the lens flare effect.. it is one year now, or even 1 and a half that it is possible And the sprites work fine even at full screen with all the transparent modes... (I am exactly using one for "vignetting" during a special feature of my game).. can you explain better what your issue was?

Anyhow, I think it is not a problem if not all of the new features of trep2 won't be possible for trng.. Maybe Lwmte, could you decide for each new feature if it is possible to put it inside trng?
For example, I have some new objects that would require some new slots, and I was waiting for Paolone. 2 years ago (time goes by so fast..) he told me he was available, but then he had private problems and recently he told me he does not have time anymore, right now, to develop further his trng/dll.. Even if he hopes, in future, even to enable an open plugin system for other programmers.. so we won't have to wait for his availability..

Anyhow, are you available for implementing new slots in trng/trep? those are new vehicles (not seen before, not derived from existing vehicles).. if you are, I could ask Paolone that permission.. Those objects are completely mine and I would provide documantation in case if you are available, but I firstly contacted Paolone, he told me then yes, and I think it is correct to know if at least this is fine for him
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-13, 10:19   #163
teme9
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
@teme9: with meta2tr it is possible to use 256x256 for each sprite, I've been using this size for every sprite of the lens flare effect.. it is one year now, or even 1 and a half that it is possible And the sprites work fine even at full screen with all the transparent modes... (I am exactly using one for "vignetting" during a special feature of my game).. can you explain better what your issue was?

Anyhow, I think it is not a problem if not all of the new features of trep2 won't be possible for trng.. Maybe Lwmte, could you decide for each new feature if it is possible to put it inside trng?
For example, I have some new objects that would require some new slots, and I was waiting for Paolone. 2 years ago (time goes by so fast..) he told me he was available, but then he had private problems and recently he told me he does not have time anymore, right now, to develop further his trng/dll.. Even if he hopes, in future, even to enable an open plugin system for other programmers.. so we won't have to wait for his availability..

Anyhow, are you available for implementing new slots in trng/trep? those are new vehicles (not seen before, not derived from existing vehicles).. if you are, I could ask Paolone that permission.. Those objects are completely mine and I would provide documantation in case if you are available, but I firstly contacted Paolone, he told me then yes, and I think it is correct to know if at least this is fine for him
But I think misunderstood me. I meant that the sprite (the face where the texture is) could be bigger not the texture itself. The texture resolution does not increase the size of the "glow effect" as for example where the brightest part is at the lens flare. So If the face where the sprite texture is shown could be bigger it would allow to create much more mindblowing effects.

Im not using meta2tr currently to edit sprites since most of the time bigger sprites do not equal better. Some might look good but not all

The problem I had with vignetting (when there were no new transparency modes) the texture itself. As I explained earlier the black-magenta texture thing it does not show transparent lightrays as for example correctly. They disappear when they're in the area where magenta blends into black. (the texture was 3x3 sized texture where the borders where black and one single dot at the middle was magenta. I did let the engines "texture buffering" to smooth the texture.) Im not sure can I explain it any better tbh
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-13, 22:38   #164
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko
Anyhow, are you available for implementing new slots in trng/trep? those are new vehicles (not seen before, not derived from existing vehicles).. if you are, I could ask Paolone that permission..
I don't clearly understand what do you mean - creating extra slots for new objects? I don't think it's possible at all with FLEP, as I realized, TRNG is too tough to crack for such complex things. Or you're talking about modifying TRNG dll itself? Even if Paolone will give permission on modifying TRNG source code, I doubt that I will be able to do anything with it, because I don't know C++
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-13, 23:49   #165
psiko
Archaeologist

well, I am not a programmer so I do not know what this kind of requests can come up with.. what I meant is: is it possible to have new slots for trng/trep? like the rubber boat and lara's animations for rubber boat, the parallel bar in trng and a lot of new stuff... I have this very cool new vehicle (60 new animations done..) and it is stuck in my pc for more than 2 years now, lol And I can build new vehicles I already have in mind, with new animation both for lara and the vehicle itself... obviously as it implies new trng/trep slots, those new vehicles would be for everyone, with no limitations on use.. I even used less than 1 tile of 256x256 in total for those items, so that everyone can load this item inside trviewer and customize my animations.. the documentation will provide description for each animation, state id, next anim, speed, etc etc..
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-13, 00:01   #166
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

Might I ask what this new vehicle is?
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-13, 00:25   #167
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Wouldn't that essentially require programming that vehicle from scratch into Tomb Raider? If it's not based on any existing vehicle... TRNG essentially injected code responsible for the vehicles taken from other Tomb Raider games, probably after some revisions and corrections to make it fully compatible, but a completely new vehicle would need to be either written up from zero or made functional using proper modifications of other vehicles' code.

Also, about TRNG... reading about how serious the alterations TRNG makes to the Tomb Raider executable are, it seems it wouldn't be possible without broad knowledge of the game's original structure. Is it possible Paolone decompiled the game and acquired the source code somehow?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-13, 05:57   #168
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
what I meant is: is it possible to have new slots for trng/trep? like the rubber boat and lara's animations for rubber boat, the parallel bar in trng and a lot of new stuff...
I don't want to promise anything, but the thing that I won't do for hundred percent is re-implementing all TRNG features back into classic TREP, sorry. I've already spent a lot of time reversing TR4 binary itself, and I have much more important things to do than reversing another binary. Maybe some features will be re-imported, like fixing fog / clipping bugs, and something else that I'll ever stumble upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie
reading about how serious the alterations TRNG makes to the Tomb Raider executable are, it seems it wouldn't be possible without broad knowledge of the game's original structure. Is it possible Paolone decompiled the game and acquired the source code somehow?
I guess that we will never know it for sure, it remains a big mystery to me. Sometimes Paolone says in his manuals things like "after studying source code I did this and that", but I'm not sure if he's talking about OllyDbg/IDA disassembly or maybe some real actual sources? What I can say for 100% is that he knows engine structures very well, and I hardly believe that such knowledge could be achieved without some external assistance. But in that case, why patch old executable, if you can recompile an exe with all the new features integrated? So I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In theory, if you will spend a lot of your free time at a span of several years studying this executable, it's possible that you can master such skill.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-13, 10:17   #169
Titak

If I remember correctly it was Raymond who once talked about Paolone having plans to implement some of his own ideas which also included something to do with vehicles.
But since Paolone hasn't shown himself for quite some time...
(or Raymond for that matter...)

About clear backgrounds:
Someone here has successfully patched TRNG tomb4.exe with a clear background patch not so long ago.
I can't remember who it was though...
It might not be customizable like it is with TREP, but that person said it worked fine.
So perhaps just this one patch could do the trick for now. Just to get rid of the stripes in 32 bit texture mode?

Btw, about the customizable colours for the clear backgrounds, TRNG allows for a ColourRGB= script command. This command can then be used in different other script commands and is used for custom colours, like custom colours for bars for example. If customizing colours for the clear backgrounds is not possible in another way, then perhaps this could help?
Not sure though... the .DLL might need to be edited to make it work.
Just telling you in case it might be usefull.
Old 20-01-13, 10:36   #170
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
But in that case, why patch old executable, if you can recompile an exe with all the new features integrated? So I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
I might be wrong, but I was also under the impression that it's not really possible to completely decompile and retrieve all the original resource files from an executable - you can get a lot and you can get close to, but you never get 100% original source code line-by-line, file-by-file...

however... if he did get his hands on the original code, maybe the reason to modify the game using this sort of patch overpass, as opposed to simply modifying the code, recompiling and releasing a modified exe to the public, was that he didn't want to bring Eidos' attention upon the procedure? It could constitute to be a copyright issue in case they figured he was in possession of and using the source, I think.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote