www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 07-12-14, 16:53   #1981
larafan25
Sage

I think the animations looked really good in the demo.

I haven't any qualms with the demo at all, actually.

I think it's perfect.

I'm so excited to just chillax and play this game for what it is. A fun-ass game. Which I'm sure it will be.
Old 07-12-14, 21:13   #1982
PhantomPain
Archaeologist

I think they should add such thing as control over how "oomph" the jumps are, because in the previous games he jumped way too far even if you didn't want to. It was possible on the PS3 if they wanted to implement it but considering PS4 ditched button press sensitivity, I don't see it happening.
PhantomPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 21:45   #1983
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantcookie View Post
Uncharteds animations have always been tip notch and some of the best on the market. Just compare them to the half finished bodge that was underworld and you'll see what I mean. It's funny how people are saying crystal can actually do animations better... Sigh
Yeah. But now that Crystal is using MOVA technology for the facial motion capturing of ROTTR I'm sure the quality of the animations will improve substantially.
It will be interesting to compare it with UC4 which is still using the old technique for facial motion capturing...
Old 07-12-14, 21:49   #1984
PhantomPain
Archaeologist

Is it just me or facial animations and details overall look much better on the new character than on Nate himself?
PhantomPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 21:51   #1985
pipermaru
Archaeologist

MOVA means nothing if the animators and artists are unable to go around the uncanny valley. If anything, it will only make it worse. So I hope CD has hired some pretty damn good character animators and artists to enhance their technology.
Old 07-12-14, 22:46   #1986
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post

I think it's perfect.

I'm so excited to just chillax and play this game for what it is. A fun-ass game. Which I'm sure it will be.
This.
+1
Old 07-12-14, 23:02   #1987
Peep Show
Relic Hunter

What the hell first there are people calling Uncharted's graphics unimpressive and now there's a problem with the animations too? What's next? Jeez y'all might wanna show me an example of a console game with better graphics and animations i'm curious!
Peep Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 23:05   #1988
Camera Obscura
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
I remember UC2 having one, although the price was gargantuan .
Ugh! I remember buying it because it had all the DLC and MP maps and everything. Then I realized it was simply the U2 disk with a DLC voucher tucked inside. I completely forgot to redeem it because I was too busy playing the game. Several months later I remembered the voucher but when I pulled out the slip of paper the code had completely worn off. Couldn't believe I had paid $20 extra just to get ripped off on the DLC. This is why I hate Game of the Year Editions that don't include everything on the disk.

/random rant over

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post

I think it's perfect.

Definitely agree.

Uncharted has always delivered on beautiful environments so that's probably what I'm most eager to see. And the demo does not disappoint in that regard - those giant cliffs in the background are just jaw dropping!

Also, I hope we get the return of ingame unlockables, I certainly miss Donut Drake, Wetsuit Drake, and playable Elena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Yeah. But now that Crystal is using MOVA technology for the facial motion capturing of ROTTR I'm sure the quality of the animations will improve substantially.
It will be interesting to compare it with UC4 which is still using the old technique for facial motion capturing...
But will it? Remember back when Crystal Dynamics were bragging about using motion capture on a real gymnast for Tomb Raider Underworld? Remember how that turned out? Better technology doesn't always mean better quality. I'm still suspicious of this MOVA tech they're using because CD have a habit of biting off more than they can chew.

Last edited by Camera Obscura; 07-12-14 at 23:23.
Camera Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 23:44   #1989
Shauni
Relic Hunter

I didn't think any of the animations were bad at all! It just seems like he has weight in his movements, whereas we might be used to Lara's slightly quicker movements. Other than that I'm at a loss as to what people are complaining about.

I'm really impressed with the interaction with the AI. ^-^

I hope we get to see more of the beach with the rocks sticking out. I'm guessing it's just background scenery but I really want to play there!
Old 08-12-14, 00:16   #1990
Tomb_of_Darkns
Professor

I think the animations are great, there are times where whether or not the placement of his body parts make sense in order to a certain jump, but i think that is where there is probably artistic liberty.
The whole mova technology thing sounds great, but just cause this technology creates 7000 frames doesn't mean much in my opinion. If i'm not mistaken for the last of us and the uncharted series, Naughty Dog had facial animators, not some sort of facial capture tech and their animation was a lot more "lively" than most motion capture in other games.
Tech only helps the animator, it's a tool, not something that can ever replace an actual animator. So even with all this motion capture that people have, i would hope animators still go in and take some artistic liberty and change the captured info in order to give the animation an extra little "magic" that tech can never capture.
Tomb_of_Darkns is offline   Reply With Quote