www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 08-12-14, 14:38   #2021
BluenoseGames
Relic Hunter

I cant wait for UC4 ! looks awesome all i wanna know is where is elena ?
BluenoseGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 14:39   #2022
pipermaru
Archaeologist

For what I saw in the U4 demo, Naughty Dog actually refined the combat (inspired by TLOU) and spiced it up with the lighthearted tone of the series.

The stealth, the open arena, the possibilities to take down the enemies and the fact that you can take your time to defeat them come directly from TLOU, in my opinion.
Old 08-12-14, 14:44   #2023
Peep Show
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
You neglect to mention to slow, steady, gradual increase of quality over the years. Has there been a noticeable jump in quality from UC1 to UC4? Of course.

When I'm constantly being thrown these visually stunning images, I'm not going to sit there and get on the graphics train because lolMovingChestHair. It was said before, pretty has become standard and they're going to need to do a lot more to impress me, personally, than bits of hair that move when I so happen to get close enough to Nathan to see it.

I honestly care more about Uncharted 4 will push the action adventure genre forward because, honestly, the whole cinematic thing is about as stale as pretty games, and while I liked what I saw from UC4, gameplay wise, let's be honest, it's not exactly pushing the envelope in terms of action/adventure games. However, it's very well done, so I'll them slide.
Yeah okay last year everyone was going crazy about Lara's tressfx hair but now it means nothing, love the double standards.

You might not care about the little details but there are many people that do, also you keep using the word pretty as if it means anything when talking about tech, you seem to know very little when it comes to that sorry.

Gotta love how you ignore the gameplay improvements...
Peep Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 14:57   #2024
xLara_Nathanx
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermaru View Post
For what I saw in the U4 demo, Naughty Dog actually refined the combat (inspired by TLOU) and spiced it up with the lighthearted tone of the series.

The stealth, the open arena, the possibilities to take down the enemies and the fact that you can take your time to defeat them come directly from TLOU, in my opinion.
Honestly I love you for this post because YES, this is true. It's influenced by TLOU more than anything else...
Old 08-12-14, 15:03   #2025
pipermaru
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLara_Nathanx View Post
Honestly I love you for this post because YES, this is true. It's influenced by TLOU more than anything else...
I know, right?

It's basically TLOU encounter design and philosophy combined with Nathan Drake's super abilities, and it looks hella fun.
Old 08-12-14, 15:09   #2026
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Has Naughty dog finally been able to make humanoid eyes that don't look like those of a praying mantis?
Old 08-12-14, 15:24   #2027
PhantomPain
Archaeologist

I hope stealth is not automatic, I hate having no control over it.
PhantomPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 15:44   #2028
hitnrun017
Archaeologist

I love this series so freaking much. Goosebumps just thinking about this game. I'm trying to not keep my expectations so high so I don't wind up being let down like with Drake's Deception, but it's so difficult.

My favorite thing about the demo was that they showed basically everything about the gameplay without spoiling too much. No "set pieces", just a normal level. The first U3 demo spoiled the burning chateau. The second U3 demo spoiled the sinking ship. The third U3 demo spoiled the crashing plane.... the three big set pieces we already saw.

If this is truly the last one I need some closure.

And show me Elena.
Old 08-12-14, 15:46   #2029
fondantcookie
Professor

There's a mint pic on Facebook at the minute showing Nathan from uc3 to uc4. I can't post it here but I hope someone can... Looks phenom. :-)
Old 08-12-14, 15:52   #2030
matrix54
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
Yeah okay last year everyone was going crazy about Lara's tressfx hair but now it means nothing, love the double standards.

You might not care about the little details but there are many people that do, also you keep using the word pretty as if it means anything when talking about tech, you seem to know very little when it comes to that sorry.

Gotta love how you ignore the gameplay improvements...
You don't have to insult me, just discuss the topic.

I've never ignored them. We're discussing graphics; I simply brought up gameplay for a moment. We can discuss gameplay if you want, I wont be bothered.

TressFX was cute, but completely irrelevant and not even implement properly. Kinda buggy and the hair didn't even blow in the right direction. However, that's one feature on Lara, compared to a series of features on Nathan. The two cannot compare.

If you want to nitpick, the hair on her head is also larger, so you can see it at a larger distance. The hair on Nathan is shorter, therefore harder to appreciate at length. Don't get me started on chest hair. That's just... why? I don't even think I've seen chest hair blow around in real life...

I can appreciate the effort put into the wind blowing his clothes, his facial expressions, subtle movement quips in the animation - the minor details. However, I'm playing a video game, not watching an animated film. Some things should take precedence.

If you care to discuss gameplay, lets discuss it (I actually spent quite a bit of time eyes the gun UI. ).

There are two notable features added to the game: Axe Climbing and Rope swinging. Stealth was always there, just more refined for traversal and hiding in leaves, so I'm not even gonna touch that. Neither of new ones are revolutionary, especially when you factor in that Tomb Raider, as well as other adventure games, have had either of the two for quite some time now. They're also just new means of traversal, rope swinging being the more interesting of the two.

The rope might be used in a puzzle, but as far as mechanics go, I don't see either of them getting much mileage beyond make the "platforming" a little more interesting to look at.

Like I said, it's all well done, so there was no need for me to dwell on it. It could be better, but given the genre, it's not the end of the world.

Edit:
Oh, I missed the Tech vs Aesthetics thing. Regardless of what the tech is capable of (in this case, the ability to visualize a multitude of smaller details within a limited space, along side the check and balances of everything else happening at run time), the game is still very pretty, as in it looks nice. Games have been looking very nice for a long time, we're just able to do more with them. That's why I'm unimpressed - games are simply doing more of what they used to do in a large volume, but the part that matters often takes a backseat for the aesthetics.

Most tech is often to make games pretty, but it doesn't always effect the gameplay. For, the rope. A rope rendered in a 3d environment has been doable since the 90s. You can't tell me technology has made this possible. Now, something like telling if someone is lying in L.A. Noire - that's something tech has done for gameplay, which is what I care most about.

Last edited by matrix54; 08-12-14 at 15:59.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote