www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 18-04-14, 20:46   #971
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
Perhaps, but it still seems weird. (And for the record I don't think Drake needed a stupid origin story either XD I don't understand why games are obsessed with origin stories lately )
Well, I did say it was a bad choice so yeah, I agree that it's weird. But it pales next to the other bad choices they made with that game. So I think there may very well have been one reason for all of these bad choices, rather than a specific, separate reason for the face changes.
Old 18-04-14, 20:50   #972
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Well, I did say it was a bad choice so yeah, I agree that it's weird. But it pales next to the other bad choices they made with that game. So I think there may very well have been one reason for all of these bad choices, rather than a specific, separate reason for the face changes.
Yeah, maybe they got someone new who wanted to take it in a different direction?

In any case, I hated the first game (was sooo boring and repetitive) but the second game was really good. I don't understand why they didn't just stick with the formula from the second game. The second game was already about as "cinematic" as I could tolerate, so I think it was really unnecessary and detrimental to make the third game even more cinematic.
Old 18-04-14, 20:57   #973
Zebra
Legend

I liked the first game best simply because it had the best story, atmosphere and pacing which is what I play the Uncharted series for. I'm not a fan of the gameplay at all and yes, it's less repetitive in Uncharted 2 but it's still not exactly great or overly exciting in Uncharted 2, so I like a great story and atmosphere with really repetitive, boring and frustrating gameplay much better than a mediocre story and an okay atmosphere with slightly less repetitive and boring gameplay.
Old 18-04-14, 21:12   #974
Ward Dragon

Quote:
I liked the first game best simply because it had the best story, atmosphere and pacing which is what I play the Uncharted series for. I'm not a fan of the gameplay at all and yes, it's less repetitive in Uncharted 2 but it's still not exactly great or overly exciting in Uncharted 2, so I like a great story and atmosphere with really repetitive, boring and frustrating gameplay much better than a mediocre story and an okay atmosphere with slightly less repetitive and boring gameplay.
I actually liked the story in the second game the best (although I may be biased in its favor due to liking the gameplay more, which meant I was in a better mood when I saw the cutscenes). I found the first game's story really boring and predictable. The only thing I really liked about it was Simon Templeman
Old 18-04-14, 21:33   #975
Zebra
Legend

The second one was too chaotic, chasing from location to location. Not to mention that the ending completely ruined it for me (way too surreal and "magical" for the series' tone) and the villain was way too stereotypical. The first one's story may have been a little cheesy but it was cheesy in a way that felt deliberate and fun. It felt like a typical old-school adventure story with a slight modern touch.
Old 18-04-14, 21:34   #976
larafan25
Sage

I loved the ending of UC2. I thought it was UC3 that was too surreal and magical, yet only because I didn't understand that they were just hallucinations.
Old 18-04-14, 21:41   #977
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
I loved the ending of UC2. I thought it was UC3 that was too surreal and magical, yet only because I didn't understand that they were just hallucinations.
Nah. The whole location at the end of UC2 didn't make sense or would only make sense if there was something supernatural involved. It just felt completely out-of-place.
Old 18-04-14, 21:50   #978
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Nah. The whole location at the end of UC2 didn't make sense or would only make sense if there was something supernatural involved. It just felt completely out-of-place.
Well, the first game had zombies in it XD I already assumed that supernatural stuff exists in this universe, so by the time I got to the end of Uncharted 2 it made sense and I went with the flow

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 18-04-14 at 21:52.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-14, 21:54   #979
Zebra
Legend

In the first game there was a pseudo-scientific explanation for everything. It was all grounded in reality. And the same goes for the second game up until the end.
Old 19-04-14, 01:07   #980
Dia2blo
Relic Hunter

^ Is it really that far fetched to think that the sap could be some kind of mutagen that gives a person strength/ extends life etc? It's not stranger than zombies from weird spores or hallucinations/ weird fire powers. (Unless you mean just the setting, which is fair enough, but it could still be plausible- it's the same premise as the Lost Valley in TR just without dinosaurs!)

I think they're all equally matched as far as the supernatural/ grounded balance goes. There has to be a little bit of unreality in there, otherwise it wouldn't be a true treasure hunting adventure.

Also I think the best part of 1's villain was the twist at the end, otherwise thingy (whose name I can't remember despite having played that game multiple times) is the stereotypical English villain, no better than Lzarovic. Marlowe was by far the best though in my eyes, so much personality.