www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 11-01-14, 18:18   #111
KIKO
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
Yes, Margot Carvier's Aparment was in Derelict Apartment Block building. You should watch this video. Paris probably was not that huge at that time but for some reason they kept making unnecessary changes instead of finishing single version of the game. The worst thing is that the best content was removed and we got nothing!

The building's different windows matching Carvier's Aparment can be seen in this video on 3:08 too.
On that second video, if you look at the windows before the last floor, there seems to be something inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
Why would Carvier, a high level manager at the louvre, live in a ''Derelict'' Apartment Block?

And the police were chasing Lara in the cutscene before the first level starts, there is no need to explain why the police were there, as she wasn't far away from them.
Like Aurimas said the building was changed and the fax Von Croy gave Lara reads that Carvier lives in the Alphonso Street.

Btw if you pay attention to the FMV Lara is wearing sunglasses as she looks at her hands. The screen fades to black and suddenly there's a van with police and dogs and Lara is running in the street coming from somewhere without her sunglasses. Something's off about that. Who called the police?

OH MY GOD!
Does anyone remember the screams in the sound files? Either they belong in Von Croy's apartment level with the cleaner OR we were supposed to play with Lara in the apartment right away. See they scream because they heard the shooting! They call for the police! The police doesn't show up with the cleaner but they sure show up in the beginning of the game! The neighbours called the police and that is why they surprise her at the end of the street. Lara came running because everyone in the building was panicking and maybe so was she. She wanted to get away from the scene fast.

I could be wrong of course since the video says the game starts at the courtyard.
We're talking about two very different builds here. One where Carvier lives at the derelict and another where she lives... well wherever she lives in the final game. The video that shows the documents says Lara stars at the courtyard but there was this ex-core member that said in an interview (that one of our TRF members had with him) that Lara was supposed to start locked in a cell. This could've been an even earlier build but the thing is the electric flex to escape the holding cell is still present in the game files

Last edited by KIKO; 11-01-14 at 18:32.
KIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 22:36   #112
Peterstar101
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
While we're at it does anyone know what's exactly?
Was a brand name for a company back in 02/00 but I can't exactly find it any more. As shown by what I think was a single letter domain (possibly) name it was most likely registered from Italy but nothing more on this site I cannot find it in any records I have looked through the closest thing I found to it was a MIT game lab but that's not it, could have been a section of a site but I don't think we will know. Luckily it's not that important since that footage is from a buyers convention (Or something) as I have seen other variants of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_ View Post
Yes that would be great!
Okay cool! I'll post some minor discoveries and also some sources to this thread.

I will also look through sites and previous threads for anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIKO View Post
One where Carvier lives at the derelict and another where she lives... well wherever she lives in the final game.
Yes they were very different builds as evidenced by the fact that there was a clip in the making of video were she was walking around Derelict Apartment Building.

Skip to 3:34 for the exact scene.

Last edited by Peterstar101; 11-01-14 at 22:46.
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 23:14   #113
Peterstar101
Professor

Okay, so I wasn't going to post but I found something else in a different Making of Video I found.

So look at this

The first one is a Main Characters board Core seemed to have pinned up.

If you can't read it the important part reads.

Pieter Van Eckhardt - Three Forms
(The Monstrum) 1 - Usual form.
2- Shrunken form.
3- Grotesque form.
Nephilim.
Okay so that one's decent

The second one is a Early Events at Von Croy's Apartment board.

It reads

Lara argues with Von Croy. Von Croy is incoherent with fear and waving a gun about. Lara picks up a torn fax with a symbol on it. During the confusion Lara gets struck on the head from behind. There are gunshots.

Eckhardt 'Takes care; of Von Croy. Lara's recall of events is fragmented. Whenever a partial Flashback gets trigged Lara see only confused images.
Only in the final revelation during the last flashback are the full events at Von Croy's revealed.

Okay more interesting! But there is more

The Third image/second part of the sheet above.

Before I reveal this I just want to say KIKO you are right

This reads

The gunshots have alerted the neighbours who call the police. People are hanging on the doors. Eckhardt exits. Lara is concussed. She exits just ahead of the police but gets ID'd (Identified)

She makes it to the street. The Final Revelation. Just before Lara gets knocked unconscious she glimpses a face in a mirror of a figure stood behind her. It is Eckhardt but Lara doesn't recognise the face until sees him later in the Strahov.

Okay that was even better but...

This one is odd it's from the page above but just a section I could not capture.

And it reads START OF THE GAME WITH LARA IN THE COURTYARD
That means that the police cell idea was a very early idea according to these documents.

Okay we are up to the near final one and this one is about Kurtis.

This is the object names list for Kurtis (Must have been used by the devs' when they couldn't remember the names

This image is fine so it doesn't need re-writing

Apparently the Churgai was meant to also be called the Chatka at earlier stages we knew the other name Glave but it seems like it went through various changes.

Oh and the bag that's on his hip was also here.

It reads "Bag on Arse" = Animate_Bag.

This is a very odd screenshot.

It seems they were planning a GameCube release from this image.

This is a screenshot from the NTSC version of the Alpha/Beta

It's odd since it does not have Janice in it backing up the fact that she was meant to be in front of the hotel.

Here is the video in full for you guys. It is in polish but what the are saying is not important so just look! There is probably other stuff I missed but keep a look out. Okay I am off to search more!

Last edited by Peterstar101; 12-01-14 at 00:46.
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 01:53   #115
KIKO
Relic Hunter

Was Parisian Ghetto really meant to be at night? Those 'night' textures could be remnants from a cutscene of Lara falling into the train. Maybe the cutscene of Industrial Rooftops instead of the dumpster, she falls into that old train.

Were they testing AOD on a Gamecube or were they planning to release it?

Last edited by KIKO; 12-01-14 at 02:06.
Old 12-01-14, 01:58   #116
ajrich17901
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Was Parisian Ghetto really meant to be at night? Those 'night' textures could be remnants from a cutscene of Lara falling into the train. Maybe the cutscene of Industrial Rooftops instead of the dumpster, she falls into that old train.

Were they testing AOD on a Dreamcast or were they planning to release it?
If you refer to that Q&A I did awhile ago it was indeed supposed to be at night at one point.
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 02:02   #117
KIKO
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrich17901 View Post
If you refer to that Q&A I did awhile ago it was indeed supposed to be at night at one point.
I guess that's cool. I mean it would justify why Janice is working at that hour.
So Café Metro as I understand was called Café Alphonso. Do you think it has anything to do with Rue Alphonse in Parisian Back Streets or it's just a coincidence they have the same name?

Last edited by KIKO; 12-01-14 at 02:06.
Old 12-01-14, 02:03   #118
Peterstar101
Professor

Quote:
Were they testing AOD on a Dreamcast or were they planning to release it?
I think so. They had a box of a Dreamcast on the last picture I posted so possibly.
Old 12-01-14, 02:04   #119
ajrich17901
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I guess that's cool. I meant it would justify why Janice is working at that hour.
So Café Metro as I understand was called Café Alphonso. Do you think it has anything to do with Rue Alphonse in Parisian Back Streets or it's just a coincidence they have the same name?
Layout wise it could be cafe metro was meant to be in the backstreets originally, I'll have to ask two of the people who worked on the game.
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 02:12   #120
KIKO
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterstar101 View Post
I think so. They had a box of a Dreamcast on the last picture I posted so possibly.
The Dreamcast was discontinued in 2001 so scratch that. The gamecube console you see at the desk was released in 2001 so maybe they were testing it on that console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrich17901 View Post
Layout wise it could be cafe metro was meant to be in the backstreets originally, I'll have to ask two of the people who worked on the game.
Please do and while we're on that subject could you ask if they know the order of the first levels so we can settle this once and for all? Thank you