www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old Today, 13:26   #1
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Unhappy Pre-reboot TR's no longer on App store

So, I just went onto the App store because I wanted Tomb Raider Anniversary for my Mac and I had seen it there before....

Only to now see that only the reboot trilogy resides on the App Store .

Previously the App store also had Tomb Raider II, Anniversary and Underworld... Anyone know whats happened, here?

Last edited by michaeldt; Today at 13:30.
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:32   #2
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

I think Apple is really refined in the apps, so they have to meet pretty strict rules. My wild guess is that the older games no longer meet the quality requirements, kinda like it happened with the mobile classic TRs.

This, or maybe it's some temporary issue
Old Today, 13:33   #3
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

I'm lucky that I downloaded TR2 and Underworld then.. But I wanted Anniversary I don't have an easy way of playing these games anymore. I have a physical Mac version of anniversary, but apple no longer do disc drives for their laptops :/
Old Today, 13:33   #4
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Is it because those games are possibly no longer compatible with the latest MacOS Catalina due to being 32 bit software? And perhaps that's why they've removed them?
I seem to remember reading something about how 32 bit software no longer being compatible with the latest MacOS or something, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: It seems to be due to 32-bit not running on Catalina: https://support.feralinteractive.com...es/underworld/

Quote:
Since December 2018 we have been retiring some of Feral’s older games. This is because they are 32-bit apps and will not run on macOS 10.15 Catalina or later; we do not wish to continue to sell games that will not be supported by the latest version of the operating system.

Several of the retired titles will return to sale as 64-bit apps after the release of macOS 10.15 Catalina. The work involved in updating 32-bit apps to be 64-bit is significant, and unfortunately updating our entire game catalogue is not viable.

If you have previously purchased a 32-bit title, you will still be able to download it via the Mac App Store or Steam (depending on the place of purchase), even though it is no longer for sale - this can be done via your account in the Mac App Store, or via your Library if you purchased via Steam.

Last edited by Trenton; Today at 13:44.
Trenton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:40   #5
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

They remove disc drives and games from their store ? Mac definitely says bye to gaming.
Old Today, 13:47   #6
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Mac was never good for gaming, but regardless, this really sucks for mac users
Old Today, 13:48   #7
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
I have a physical Mac version of anniversary, but apple no longer do disc drives for their laptops :/
One potential solution is to buy an external USB disc drive (I'm guessing they come pretty cheap these days). As long as its compatible with MacOS of course.
Old Today, 13:51   #8
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I don't think they should be allowed to just remove something you've paid for or not support it. This is really why a lot of people remain to feel dubious of digital gaming. I know the classic games aren't really that expensive anymore but it's the principle.
Old Today, 13:53   #9
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Is it because those games are possibly no longer compatible with the latest MacOS Catalina due to being 32 bit software? And perhaps that's why they've removed them?
I seem to remember reading something about how 32 bit software no longer being compatible with the latest MacOS or something, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: It seems to be due to 32-bit not running on Catalina: https://support.feralinteractive.com...es/underworld/
Yeah I've just been testing Underworld out and it appears to crash alot randomly :/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I don't think they should be allowed to just remove something you've paid for or not support it. This is really why a lot of people remain to feel dubious of digital gaming. I know the classic games aren't really that expensive anymore but it's the principle.
Thankfully, if you have bought it beforehand you can still redownload it through your old purchases. This is how I just tested Underworld again .
Old Today, 13:54   #10
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
You can still download them from the store you bought them though, as quoted above.

I hope they at least upgrade the TR games to 64-bit, especially Anniversary.