www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 13-05-15, 22:26   #1491
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
no no I'm not getting you wrong and I can totally see where you're coming from , I was just wondering :
TR1 had plenty of different styles of tombs .
and TR4 had plenty of different styles of tombs with other settings (streets , coasts , deserts) .
so , in what shape TR1 had the diversity in locations that TR4 failed (according to you) ? is that solely because the different countries thingy gave you a feeling of diversity ? and that's out of curiosity .
No because TR1 really has true diversity. The Peru levels for example feels nothing like Greece. When you enter St.Francis Folly that it feels like a completely different world and this is also reflected in the gameplay as well. Same goes for Egypt and Atlantis too. It's hard to put my feelings when playing those sections into words, but to me they feel almost as diverse as the locations in TR2 and TR3.
Old 13-05-15, 22:35   #1492
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Well considering TR4 is set wholy in Egypt. It'll be hard to make every location 'different'. Yet they do, like Patrick said each year looks and feels new.
Old 13-05-15, 22:38   #1493
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
No because TR1 really has true diversity. The Peru levels for example feels nothing like Greece. When you enter St.Francis Folly that it feels like a completely different world and this is also reflected in the gameplay as well. Same goes for Egypt and Atlantis too. It's hard to put my feelings when playing those sections into words, but to me they feel almost as diverse as the locations in TR2 and TR3.
but technically they're still in-door tombs therefore it's the same setting (not that I think it's bad , in fact it's great and I loved it , that's what TR is about after all) , but I don't think that reflects to TR1's gameplay as well , as you're still looking for the next switch to pull in most of the time and you're done , opposite to TR4 where you kept getting new puzzle elements , tasks and traps everytime .
that's why I think you should do your replay of TR4 very soon , just to realize how every area really differed from the other , catacombs don't have the same visuals and style as Karnak , Burial chambers are different from Cleopatra's palaces , the Pyramids are different from the lost library , there are sunny Alexandrian streets and coasts , dark Cairo back streets , a train level and a lot more to see .
one might think : "oh the whole game is in Egypt so it's gonna be sands and the same temple decorations all the time" , that's the very common mistake regarding people's opinions about the game .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Well considering TR4 is set wholy in Egypt. It'll be hard to make every location 'different'. Yet they do, like Patrick said each year looks and feels new.
Exactly !

Last edited by Patrick star; 13-05-15 at 22:41.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-15, 22:57   #1494
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
but technically they're still in-door tombs therefore it's the same setting (not that I think it's bad , in fact it's great and I loved it , that's what TR is about after all) , but I don't think that reflects to TR1's gameplay as well , as you're still looking for the next switch to pull in most of the time and you're done , opposite to TR4 where you kept getting new puzzle elements , tasks and traps everytime .

D
I wasn't talking about the diversity of the puzzles, I was talking about the diversity in location. And your assessment that TR1's levels being indoors somehow makes them the same setting is completely the opposite of how I experience the game. But I already said so in my last post so I'm not gonna bother repeating myself.
Old 13-05-15, 23:02   #1495
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the diversity of the puzzles
I was replying specifically to this statement :

Quote:
and this is also reflected in the gameplay as well

Quote:
And your assessment that TR1's levels being indoors somehow makes them the same setting is completely the opposite of how I experience the game.
again , all TR1 levels being indoor tombs and temples are a great thing for me not the opposite (as high-tech and urban levels were never my favorites when it comes to TR) , I was just using that in questioning how that makes TR1 more diverse than TR4 which had the same formula of settings as TR1 besides many others .
Old 13-05-15, 23:12   #1496
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

I think what Partick is trying to say is that in TR1 it's pretty much the same thing. You're trapped inside, you have to find a lever, key, push a block and kill enemies. It's not diverse enough. Whereas in TR4 you have all different elements on the game. Rope swinging, outdoor temples ect.

At least, I think that's what he's trying to say...
Old 13-05-15, 23:19   #1497
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I think what Partick is trying to say is that in TR1 it's pretty much the same thing. You're trapped inside, you have to find a lever, key, push a block and kill enemies. It's not diverse enough. Whereas in TR4 you have all different elements on the game. Rope swinging, outdoor temples ect.

yes , it's pretty much my point but I find it forgivable that TR1 didn't have the diversity in gameplay TR4 had for being the first game with no any game before it .. it had to be basic and simple .
Old 13-05-15, 23:38   #1498
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I was replying specifically to this statement :
Yes and I used the term gameplay, not puzzles, because there is more to gameplay than just puzzles. The level layout itself, like how SFF is arranged with a tall shaft like room with puzzle rooms for example makes for a very different experience than anything seen in the Peru section. The same goes for the some of the puzzles themselves with the Thor room and Dampcles room presenting us with again something completely different than Peru. Again same with golden bars in PAlace midas; transforming the very objects (keys) to use had never been seen before inTR prior to that. Water level based puzzle in The Cistern, again brand new. And then there is Pierre showing up from time to time firing his guns until the player can cause enough damage to scare him, completely different from previous enemies, plus we get the first water based enemy, all of this which again makes for diversity in terms of gameplay. So it's not just the visuals and physical locations that makes for the diversity in TR1, but also the actual gameplay like I said.

Quote:

Thing is what he's trying to say is the complete opposite of what I experience when playing the game. The things he says about TR1 simply doesn't make sense to me and is downright wrong when I compare it to how I feel when playing the game. Basically he has his opinion of TR1 and I have mine which is the complete opposite (just like my opinion of TR4 is the complete opposite of his opinion of that game) so it's of little use to convince me otherwise. I trust my own experiences from playing TR1 for almost two decades and not someone's words.
Old 13-05-15, 23:47   #1499
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Thing is what he's trying to say is the complete opposite of what I experience when playing the game. The things he says about TR1 simply doesn't make sense to me and is downright wrong when I compare it to how I feel when playing the game. Basically he has his opinion of TR1 and I have mine which is the complete opposite (just like my opinion of TR4 is the complete opposite of his opinion of that game) so it's of little use to convince me otherwise. I trust my own experiences from playing TR1 for almost two decades and not someone's words.

I fail to understand why you keep thinking that discussing is a battle , you either win it or lose it , I'm not trying to convince anyone or switch his opinion about his favorite game to something else entirely , and I trust my own experience just as much as you do if not more , I'm trying to state an opinion regarding these two games very peacefully and you go like "I don't need crappy discussions , I trust my own experience" , we all do ..then why bothering replying to each others ? why not putting me on your ignore list too ?

this is a forum about discussing different opinions , for god's sake ..

Last edited by Patrick star; 13-05-15 at 23:53.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-15, 00:08   #1500
Trenton
Tomb Raider

@Patrick star

Okay so we have different opinions then. I stated how my experience of TR1 is diversity in both locations, visuals and gameplay and you disagree. That's alright. Let's leave it at that then.