Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 18-07-19, 13:13   #16491
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post

Welcome to the internet.
Someone else: *posts a clip from TR2*

The forum: OMG THAT'S AWESOME, THE BEST, I REMEMBER IT!!!!!!!!

Me: *posts a clip from TRL*

The forum: OMG, TRU sucked, and TRL killed the character.

This is why I rarely participate in anything.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 13:20   #16492
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post

I'm sorry you feel that way, please don't take it personally. Perhaps the cutscene discussion wasn't the best place to post our critiques, though there is a time and a place for all that.

Thank you for participating though, I'm glad the LAU era is special to you
Old 18-07-19, 13:20   #16493
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Yeah that's the only problem with Legend's writing I think, they didn't really make Legend dark and serious enough. I call it "family-friendly Tomb Raider", it's the one that's a little bit more child-friendly even with the violence in it.

It's like the opposite of the newer Reboot, which is way too dark and serious all the time and it makes me apathetic frankly.

The classics had that interesting contradictory mix of dark themes while also having humour and charm. Horror elements, but keeping it subtle until towards the end of the game. I think it makes the classic games very difficult to put in a particular box and that's part of their allure.

Still, I do think Legend's story was pretty sound for what it was. It had good plot points, Amanda was a good villain I think. The pacing was ok, but I think each level could have done with being at least twice as long (or with multiple levels per country).

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 18-07-19 at 13:21.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 13:20   #16494
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:

Welcome to the internet.

You know not long ago I posted a video here and the response from people was some nonsense discussion about whether LAU Lara is classic or not.
Then 10 pages later somebody else posted the same video and this time people actually watched it and discovered it was a really good video. So everybody was like 'Wow, great video!' 'This is great!' 'Thanks for posting it'.

You hear me complain about that?
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 13:23   #16495
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah that's the only problem with Legend's writing I think, they didn't really make Legend dark and serious enough. I call it "family-friendly Tomb Raider", it's the one that's a little bit more child-friendly even with the violence in it.

It's like the opposite of the newer Reboot, which is way too dark and serious all the time and it makes me apathetic frankly.

The classics had that interesting contradictory mix of dark themes while also having humour and charm. Horror elements, but keeping it subtle. I think it makes the classic games very difficult to put in a particular box and that's part of their allure.

Still, I do think Legend's story was pretty sound for what it was. It had good plot points, Amanda was a good villain I think. The pacing was ok, but I think each level could have done with being at least twice as long (or with multiple levels per country).
That's definitely fair. Maybe one reason why I am so hard on Legend is because it had so much going for it and could truly have been so much more incredible. Honestly though, for the first TR game from a company who had to pick up where the series was left with AOD, they really didn't do a bad job. That would be difficult for any developer to pick up from, and while I have a ton of issues with mostly the casual direction they went, I commend their efforts and definitely think there are elements from those games they could expound on and make really incredible for the series as a whole.
Old 18-07-19, 13:26   #16496
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way, please don't take it personally. Perhaps the cutscene discussion wasn't the best place to post our critiques, though there is a time and a place for all that.

Thank you for participating though, I'm glad the LAU era is special to you
That's basically where my thoughts were. The discussion is about posting something you like. So I did, and the majority of the responses were "the thing you like is crap" even if it wasn't directly aimed towards me.

Even in a discussion meant to celebrate the things we like, the arrows fly. The reluctance to participate is real.

Last edited by Ashnod; 18-07-19 at 13:32.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 13:28   #16497
biscuits
Professor

I have a weird relationship with Legend. I love literally everything about the game except Lara. I actually adore how cheesy and fun it is. It's a game that reminds me of times where I loved games and enjoyed them way more than I do now. I don't game at all nowadays. I don't know if it's because I outgrew them or because I don't like the modern stuff, but at the end of the day my PS4 is a Netflix machine. I legit only buy one game a year.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 13:30   #16498
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
That's basically where my thoughts were. The discussion is about posting something you like. So I did, and the majority of the responses was "the thing you like is crap" even if it wasn't directly aimed towards me.

Even in a discussion meant to celebrate the things we like, the arrows fly. The reluctance to participate is real.
That's definitely a fair stance. I'll be more mindful of the discussion and its purpose before automatically diving into my critiques, I can get ahead of myself at times.

Thanks again for participating. Maybe someone can come up with another question of the day for us to talk about.
Old 18-07-19, 13:37   #16499
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I have a weird relationship with Legend. I love literally everything about the game except Lara.
I feel the same but for other reasons.

I thought Legend (and LAU generally) were the absolute dog's bollocks at the time. There wasn't a single complaint I had about them, maybe apart from Legend being short and Underworld having spiders. I loved that Lara, at the time I found the streamlined, easier gameplay refreshing compared to the classics, I loved the amount of content they had.

Then I came on this forum and that changed everything. I guess seeing all the games' criticisms and flaws spelled out by other members made me start seeing it myself, and now I can't unsee what was wrong with them.

I do still think they are decent Tomb Raider games that I enjoy to go back and play though, so I by no means hate them now. I would still take a million LAU-style games (with that Lara) over a million Reboot games.

Quote:
I actually adore how cheesy and fun it is. It's a game that reminds me of times where I loved games and enjoyed them way more than I do now. I don't game at all nowadays. I don't know if it's because I outgrew them or because I don't like the modern stuff, but at the end of the day my PS4 is a Netflix machine. I legit only buy one game a year.
As we've discussed before I'm going the same way. I'm currently hyped over the new Mortal Kombat but it's not often I get like that for new games these days. I have very little interest in it anymore.
Old 18-07-19, 13:39   #16500
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I have a weird relationship with Legend. I love literally everything about the game except Lara. I actually adore how cheesy and fun it is. It's a game that reminds me of times where I loved games and enjoyed them way more than I do now. I don't game at all nowadays. I don't know if it's because I outgrew them or because I don't like the modern stuff, but at the end of the day my PS4 is a Netflix machine. I legit only buy one game a year.
Iím the same. I even enjoy Lara herself at times, partly because of the cheesiness and over-the-top feeling, But Keeley... well, you know.

I think the game could have been longer, and perhaps a little harder, but itís still a great one to jump into and play every now and then.