www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 14-06-19, 17:32   #61
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Reboot wouldn’t exist, if TR wasn’t put in their hands. Reboot is a direct result of trying to refresh the franchise....
Okay I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Quote:
The formula was definitely stale, imo. As I said, AoD was classic with prettier graphics and a couple of additions. I’m bringing sales up, not to make it look bad, but simply as a way to show that the decline meant something. The numbers are still impressive, save for TRC and AoD. But the commercial failure of AoD wasn’t solely related to it being “unfinished”. Most of the people weren’t even aware of that. Also, AoD being on the PS2 was like ROTTR being on the XBONE - in which ROTTR was a HUGE graphical upgrade from TR2013, while keeping the same formula, and adding new elements, like AoD in regards to TRC. Also, when I said “stopped working” I solely mean from a business point of view. I understand that, for you personally, each sequel worked fine - they did for me too at the time
So what was it? And don't say the formula, unless there's proof somewhere.

Quote:
I know that for sure, because the publisher is the one who calls the shots. The publisher, back then, Eidos. So either Crystal, or any other dev, whatever what was made next, it would definitely be different. What I don’t know is if it would be better or worse than LAU
No you don't, no one does. I'm not saying TR being given to someone else had to happen back in 2009, but maybe 2016... 2018... who knows. But after the series had been at rest for a while.
Old 14-06-19, 17:43   #62
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
So what was it? And don't say the formula, unless there's proof somewhere.
The proof is the the commercial decline, which took a deeper dive in TR4 even though it’s mostly an amazing game. But if you can prove that I am wrong, and that it was solely due to the game being “unfinished”, I am open to that possibility.

Quote:
No you don't, no one does. I'm not saying TR being given to someone else had to happen back in 2009, but maybe 2016... 2018... who knows. But after the series had been at rest for a while.
Regardless of the year, or dec, it would still be something different. You just need to think with logic tbh, due to what I explained above
Old 14-06-19, 18:00   #63
Zsott
Archaeologist

Nobody can prove you wrong.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 18:03   #64
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
The proof is the the commercial decline, which took a deeper dive in TR4 even though it’s mostly an amazing game. But if you can prove that I am wrong, and that it was solely due to the game being “unfinished”, I am open to that possibility.
There are many factors with the commercial decline, but the formula wasn't the sole reason, as like I said the games were always improving and taking big steps up.

It's pretty obvious AOD failed because it was unfinished. It still sold pretty good, but not as well as it could have done if it was finished.

Quote:
Regardless of the year, or dec, it would still be something different. You just need to think with logic tbh, due to what I explained above
This is the last time I'm going to write this.

IF Crystal Dynamics stopped after Underworld and decided to make a new IP with the same basic storyline as Reboot, but with a new character and new title... I'd be fine with that.

That means TR would be resting. So at some point, TR could have been revived with a new company. Therefore my original comment could have happened:

Quote:
Just give TR to someone who can make a true Tomb Raider experience and who understands Lara Croft as a character. No more building up to something which was completely wasted imo.
Foof, I'm done now.
Old 14-06-19, 18:13   #65
larafan25
Sage

Quote:

The proof is not the commercial decline. Everything changes. There will always be people interested in Tomb Raider. It’s really not the Tomb Raider fans logic, that one should defend the depreciating of Tomb Raider for the good of (nothing). That’s the logic of those who like the reboot and feel inclined to defend it somewhere on the Internet.

At it’s biggest sales it is a small portion of the human population who buy these games. If they’re buying the non-Tomb Raider game then it’s just the wrong demographic.
Old 14-06-19, 18:14   #66
Daft Raider
Inactive

Just watched the leaked gameplay and yikes... I thought Underworld Lara moved around like a squirrel on crack, Black Widow was flipping around at the speed of light! This is all just so wrong, they’ve done us TR fans so dirty with this, I would say I’m shocked but well... given their behavior for the last 6 years it’s not surprising. Also it kind of looks like they’ve recycled Lara’s jumping animation from the reboot, she jumps almost exactly the same way, I could be wrong tho, it’s so hard to tell.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 18:23   #67
veigafd
Archaeologist

Well, from what I've saw, the game looks like a hack'n slash type of game with extremely dumb enemies, kinda reminiscent from the enemies in reboot era. But Idk, after the fact that reboot Lara can't have duals after 3 games because they don't have the tech, I don't even care anymore.
Old 14-06-19, 19:28   #68
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
But Idk, after the fact that reboot Lara can't have duals after 3 games because they don't have the tech
I pitty anyone who believes this bs.
Old 14-06-19, 19:47   #69
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
I'd argue that that had more to do with four games being released in as many years. People were starting to get tired of TR not because there was something wrong with the basic gameplay core but because they were simply getting too much of it in too short a time. Incidentally, there hasn't been any game that plays like the old Tomb Raider games in ages so I think it's safe to say that people wouldn't be fed up with it now.
Old 14-06-19, 19:49   #70
biscuits
Professor

They should just make Tomb Raider an indie series at this point if they want it to be more faithful to the classics.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote