www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-19, 20:20   #31
Zsott
Archaeologist
 
Zsott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: France
Posts: 1,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
Why is this game hated by people and loved by people. What if there were no bugs? Would it have a different outcome?
As an AAA title? It would flop. Hard.
The game in its current state (including all of the corrections, upgrades of the fans) is halfbaked: missing critical elements from the story. The locations are in need of fresh blood too. Paris is feels somewhat complete, but it's dead and empty. Prague... it's like they've the levels that couldn't be included in Paris and was working.

As a small bugdeted game, in its currenct state could be mediocre at best.

As much as I love AoD, I hope no big developer will touch it... or if they do, I hope it will be someone who understands the character, and the direction of the story, and most of all the past of the franchise, of Lara's past.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 21:40   #32
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist
 
paulojr_mam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1249 View Post
Who said Eidos wanted those new mechanics?
I thought it had been mentioned in this topic, but it was in another.
It was said here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...who-were-there

"I should have stuck to my guns, but I gave in to pressure from Eidos," he says. "They just wanted more. They wanted bigger. They wanted interaction. They wanted Lara to talk to people. They wanted decision making - do you go down this street, that street, take this from them, ask them this? Just stuff that was happening in gaming at the time, we shoehorned into Angel of Darkness."
__________________
#BringClassicLaraCroftBack - a Twitter campaign.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 01:33   #33
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,798
Default

Considering it was panned for how broken and unpolished it was then no it wouldn't have failed. Reviews probably wouldn't be as high as if the game was actually finished the way it was intended to be made, but I'm sure The Lost Dominion would have redeemed Core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I thought it had been mentioned in this topic, but it was in another.
It was said here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...who-were-there

"I should have stuck to my guns, but I gave in to pressure from Eidos," he says. "They just wanted more. They wanted bigger. They wanted interaction. They wanted Lara to talk to people. They wanted decision making - do you go down this street, that street, take this from them, ask them this? Just stuff that was happening in gaming at the time, we shoehorned into Angel of Darkness."
So now we know more, Eidos pushed them to make this game as ridiculously ambitious as possible. And they blame Core for it's failure?

Pfft.......Sure Jan
__________________
Black Lives Matter #George Floyd

Last edited by charmedangelin; 12-12-19 at 01:35.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 11:09   #34
Zsott
Archaeologist
 
Zsott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: France
Posts: 1,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post

Pfft.......Sure Jan
Yes, sure.
You can't blame Eidos, nor Sony for an inexperienced team. Core Desing is at as much fault as the other two companies.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 11:11   #35
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter
 
ThatSassyKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,444
Default

No, the only real issues that anyone has with AOD are that it's incomplete, and a buggy mess. Most people still love the potential and direction it's trying to go, but it's the execution that failed due to it being incomplete and unpolished.

It's kind of a shame that we'll never get to see the full game.
__________________
Me: *breathes* Entire forum: ...
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 07:18   #36
TRExpertgamer
Explorer
 
TRExpertgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Home
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
No, the only real issues that anyone has with AOD are that it's incomplete, and a buggy mess. Most people still love the potential and direction it's trying to go, but it's the execution that failed due to it being incomplete and unpolished.

It's kind of a shame that we'll never get to see the full game.
Yeah it's so stupid from what Eidos insisted to do which was the wrong choice they've made to rush it right out of Core Design's hands for no reason. And I know we all have been talking about this multiple times why this game has been rushed. I even explained all the details why all of that drama have went on with AOD from the general thread.
__________________
We all create destiny. Not just you!
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 08:14   #37
Joey79100
Professor
 
Joey79100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: France
Posts: 3,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
they've made to rush it right out of Core Design's hands for no reason.
That's wrong, they needed money at that time.
Joey79100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 09:28   #38
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist
 
CheshireBitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,483
Default

Lot of critics at that time and lot of people now call out the game for its bugs and "unfinished" looks but honestly, I think that what triggered the hate for this game in 2003 is that we end up with a game that was nothing like they promoted it.
The problems they had to face at Core and Eidos while developping it made them straight out liars for 3 years, without even wanting it.

They wanted to make something huge and so they promoted it as something huge. So when they had to cut it we just got a nice regular TR but the difference between what they said/plan was so big that people could never be happy with the game when it came out. At least that what I think happened. It's like saying to children you'll make them a chocolate cake thinking you have tons of chocolate and half-way through you realise you don't have chocolate, just vanilla.

I'm NOT saying that Core/Eidos are liars, I think they really wanted and worked hard on what they promoted, but the problems they had turned what they said into lies in the GP eyes. If they could have knew they wouldn't be able to do it, and so not talk about all those things, I think TR6 would have had the same popularity as chronicles.

Eidos gave TR to Crystal to rebuild trust from the GP mostly from a fresh start, I think.

I hope what I'm saying is clear, no hate to Core/Eidos or the game, just trying to understand why TR6 got so much hate when it came out.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 12:09   #39
TRExpertgamer
Explorer
 
TRExpertgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Home
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
That's wrong, they needed money at that time.
Until Eidos have screwed up the very end of the previous period which was the WRONG CHOICE for them to do to manipulate against the rest of the AOD trilogy. It all sounded like that Eidos only ever wanted to release some games from their own pace of terms. But that being said that's ok to publish 5 GAMES only at least. But I know Eidos should of waited from probably 6 to 8 weeks for this game to be published then. But that didn't happen unfortunately as it's all over & done with. Eidos have been there and done that already with all of that drama that happened from 2003 with AOD.
__________________
We all create destiny. Not just you!
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 14:17   #40
dg1995
Explorer
 
dg1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Lot of critics at that time and lot of people now call out the game for its bugs and "unfinished" looks but honestly, I think that what triggered the hate for this game in 2003 is that we end up with a game that was nothing like they promoted it.
The problems they had to face at Core and Eidos while developping it made them straight out liars for 3 years, without even wanting it.

They wanted to make something huge and so they promoted it as something huge. So when they had to cut it we just got a nice regular TR but the difference between what they said/plan was so big that people could never be happy with the game when it came out. At least that what I think happened. It's like saying to children you'll make them a chocolate cake thinking you have tons of chocolate and half-way through you realise you don't have chocolate, just vanilla.

I'm NOT saying that Core/Eidos are liars, I think they really wanted and worked hard on what they promoted, but the problems they had turned what they said into lies in the GP eyes. If they could have knew they wouldn't be able to do it, and so not talk about all those things, I think TR6 would have had the same popularity as chronicles.

Eidos gave TR to Crystal to rebuild trust from the GP mostly from a fresh start, I think.

I hope what I'm saying is clear, no hate to Core/Eidos or the game, just trying to understand why TR6 got so much hate when it came out.
Yeah, the main mistake both of them did was that they knew that the project isn't going smoothly and yet they decided to advertise it as the best game of generation.(Maybe they became too arrogant to realize of the disaster that was coming their way.)

They should have worked on AOD in secret without any advertising And should have cancelled it if they saw that it isn't going well.(or reveal it once they were sure that they could deliver the project.)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 13:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.