www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-10-18, 08:49   #19951
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
"Something along those lines"
Wow here we are are... stuck presuming what the game persisted of instead of knowing exactly what happened lol. Just bad writing.
Just because we didn't get a scene exactly like the trailer, it doesn't equal bad writing. We do know exactly what happened. We did witness someone being sacrificed in the game, it just wasn't Etzil and Lara wasn't in a position to save him. And in the end Lara had the power of Kukulkan in her and was stabbed by the dagger to restore the sun. The trailer scene turned out to be of a metaphor, with Lara not stopping a sacrifice, but Lara being part of one. Her part wasn't to save one boy, but all of Paititi, and everyone else presumably.

I'm still wary of how spoiler heavy that is, so have whitened it out.

Last edited by Rai; 23-10-18 at 08:51.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-18, 08:55   #19952
RodneyMac12
Historian

^
I wasn't referencing the cgi trailer being that I'm aware they are never parallel to the actual game. I was referencing the game's plot itself. They didn't present it as clearly as they should have hence us being left asking questions. Just small little things like Lara saying sorry to Dominguez... that had a good number of us confused at first because they didn't accentuate the reasoning for it enough.

Last edited by RodneyMac12; 23-10-18 at 08:58.
RodneyMac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-18, 08:57   #19953
Rai

Please take out my spoilers. They're visible in a quote, ta.

I saw you responding to tomee's post which was interpreting the trailer, that's why I responded as I did. I felt the plot was perfectly clear. Yes, unfortunately, some points need to maybe be revisited and like in TR'13 and Rise, it helps to read the journals to understand more, which shouldn't be necessary, which is a shame, but the main plot points are all there. I'm not saying it's perfect. The entire Trinity plot with the high council following Dominguez to save Paititi doesn't make a jot of sense considering what we learned of Trinity in Rise.

Last edited by Rai; 23-10-18 at 09:06.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-18, 09:21   #19954
RodneyMac12
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Please take out my spoilers. They're visible in a quote, ta.

I saw you responding to tomee's post which was interpreting the trailer, that's why I responded as I did. I felt the plot was perfectly clear. Yes, unfortunately, some points need to maybe be revisited and like in TR'13 and Rise, it helps to read the journals to understand more, which shouldn't be necessary, which is a shame, but the main plot points are all there. I'm not saying it's perfect. The entire Trinity plot with the high council following Dominguez to save Paititi doesn't make a jot of sense considering what we learned of Trinity in Rise.
Fair enough. I vehemently believe that the story had great potential. Unfortunately, it didnít strike me as a plot that was well cared for or well planned out. Itís lack of certain context derailed the importantnce of plot they tried to portray. Nonetheless, I think itís good, just not as great as it should have been, being that they presented a great story before.
Old 23-10-18, 09:37   #19955
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Am I the only one who thinks Shadow is the best out of the 3?

I'll admit I was more visually impressed with Rise at the time, but Shadow is almost everything a modern TR should be IMO, and a huge step in the right direction... I love the story, soundtrack, graphics, and art direction.

I'm very excited for where the franchise is headed in the future, I'm sure in 3-4 years we'll get a new game that feels fresh again as it's the start of a new direction.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 23-10-18 at 09:39.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-18, 09:44   #19956
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post

I'll admit I was more visually impressed with Rise at the time, but Shadow is almost everything a modern TR should be IMO, and a huge step in the right direction... I love the story, soundtrack, graphics, and art direction.

I'm very excited for where the franchise is headed in the future, I'm sure in 3-4 years we'll get a new game that feels fresh again as it's the start of a new direction.

I need to concentrate on the story again with my current play through, but my overall impression is that Shadow is the best of the 3. Story wise, I think I'm tied over TR'13 and Shadow.
Old 23-10-18, 09:46   #19957
jajay119
Tomb Raider

No I definitely feel the overall quality was much better across the board in Shadow whether gameplay, character portrayal or story I think theyíre all a step up. Yes the story does get somewhat let down and rushed in the very end but people are acting like this isnít an issue in general. Had the not ruined it by changing the ending to the atrocious one they used I think the reboot would go down as having the best story, itís certainly the most intricate out the three, but they ruined it for me and the other elements let the game down too.
Old 23-10-18, 10:28   #19958
LaraCroftSotTR
Explorer

Location: Adventure is my home (Croft Manor at quieter times)

Quote:

Nope, you're not the only one by a long shot.
But many people are corrupted by the dark and deep despair of this place - and steam reviews - and youtube.
Or let's just say social media as a whole - minus those positive and happy innocent souls who gave the game a 9 (like me).
LaraCroftSotTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-18, 12:23   #19959
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:

It's a really really good game. I think the only reason people are disappointed is because of astronomical expectations. (Which the developers helped set) Rise is more polished but Shadow improves on everything introduced in the first 2.
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-18, 15:25   #19960
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

For anyone interested, the Tomb Raider collection is on 86% discount on Steam.
It has all games from the classic ones up to and including ROTTR, plus the LC games, including LC Go

https://store.steampowered.com/bundl...er_Collection/