www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 18-07-21, 18:46   #11
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
I really liked the levels of (Tibet ?) Ice caves, slides that can lead to death, breakable poles, platforms, ceiling spikes, etc.
Are you referring to Nepal?
Old 18-07-21, 18:52   #12
xdesperado_
Explorer

Positives:

- I liked that it borrowed some influences from the first TR movie (dual pistol design, the manor, and having a team of people working for Lara. But I still dislike Alister)
- Lara's character & Keeley Hawes' performance
- The acrobatic movements
- Combat was fun
- Amanda's design
- The soundtrack (the last great TR OST imo)
- Croft Manor (TR3 manor is still my favourite, but this one is a close second)
- The boss fights
- The time trials & collectible system
- Great variety of locations
- The variety of costumes
- The replay value was high
- As much as I love AOD, it was nice going back to the happy, adventurous tone

Negatives

- Alister Fletcher
- The difficulty was too forgiving (even on Hard mode)
- The linear level design
- There could've been more variety with the weapons
- Short game length. Nepal is one of my absolute favourite levels, but it just felt so short.
- The story wasn't terrible, but it was the genesis of the whole parents drama. I did quite like the mythology though.
- The conversations with Zip & Alister via headset, which is an immersion breaker
- The bike riding sequences (especially the Kazakhstan one, it goes on far too long)
- There could've been more variety with the weapons
- Lara auto-grabbing when I don't want her to.
- The flashlight (I much would've preferred flares like in the beta version)
- I didn't like the grapple much, Anniversary's version was better.
- Repetitive enemies
- QTE's
- I prefer Lara's beta design, with the long braid

Last edited by xdesperado_; 18-07-21 at 18:55.
xdesperado_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 18:56   #13
Frceghst8
Historian

Nepal, yes that's the one. Thanks Jathom 95.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 18:59   #14
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Why they went the route of Norse mythology instead still baffles me, it's been done to death.
I failed to see what games have Norse mythology before Underworld in 2008. It was never done to the series before. I think it was done to death after this game release : Skyrim, God of War 4, AC Valhalla, ect.
I don't really quite share this opinion, Egypt has been done to death for instance but it's a good classic so it's no difference for me.
Old 18-07-21, 19:16   #15
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I failed to see what games have Norse mythology before Underworld in 2008. It was never done to the series before. I think it was done to death after this game release : Skyrim, God of War 4, AC Valhalla, ect.
I don't really quite share this opinion, Egypt has been done to death for instance but it's a good classic so it's no difference for me.
I mean, it's the same deal with Egypt. TR4 and The Mummy sort of cemented the idea that if it involves tombs and ancient relics, that Egypt is a staple. And in TR4's case, Core only set the game there because of how popular it was in TR1.

My gripe with it specifically comes from having no buildup prior to Underworld. Legend focuses on pseudo-Arthurian lore, then Anniversary does a 180 towards Atlantean culture strictly because of Natla, then Underworld suddenly becomes about her ushering in Ragnarok through the Midgard Serpent. Where was any of that in the previous two games? What is Natla's connection to all of that even though she was established as an Atlantean queen alongside Tihocan and Qualopec? The list goes on.

Underworld might've been the first big game series to tackle it at the time, but Norse mythology has been a popular topic in general for a good while now.

Last edited by Jathom95; 18-07-21 at 19:20.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 20:03   #16
Frceghst8
Historian

I just had a thought, I would have loved to face off with yetis in the Nepal levels
Old 19-07-21, 15:08   #17
Cat Woman
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post

At this point I can't think of anything I didn't like about the game. If I do I'll post it later. Overall I liked TR Legend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I loved everything about Legend. I loved the new Manor design, I loved how fresh Legend felt back in 2006, it really felt like a breathe of fresh air. It's globe trotting structure and light hearted narrative is what I love the most. I do hate the parent storyline and the fact the game was so short, but it is still a lovely gem.
This was/is my favourite TR game. It really got me into the TR series, etc. I started TRL on the PC, but once I got it on xBox, I was hooked. I didn’t mind the parent storyline. I like all the others too, but this one has a special place for me.
Old 19-07-21, 16:04   #18
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
My gripe with it specifically comes from having no buildup prior to Underworld. Legend focuses on pseudo-Arthurian lore, then Anniversary does a 180 towards Atlantean culture strictly because of Natla, then Underworld suddenly becomes about her ushering in Ragnarok through the Midgard Serpent. Where was any of that in the previous two games? What is Natla's connection to all of that even though she was established as an Atlantean queen alongside Tihocan and Qualopec? The list goes on.

Underworld might've been the first big game series to tackle it at the time, but Norse mythology has been a popular topic in general for a good while now.
Yeah I agree thought, it was poorly linked to Legend and Anniversary. Maybe the mythology should have been one or two level max, mixed with Celtic locations to make the transition better. Without being too much about arthurian legend of course, because I don't think two games in a row dealing with the same myth/legend would be a good idea. Even if I would love to see the real Avalon !
Old 19-07-21, 19:58   #19
Frceghst8
Historian

^ The real Avalon? LoL, there is no "real Avalon". How about Avalon in the TR universe.
Old 27-07-21, 03:22   #20
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

The Story was Interesting

Lara's animation and her acrobats

Some Puzzles were lots of Fun

The soundtrack

The model and the Voice Actress

The secrets were amazing and very well hidden I wish everything about the game was as difficult to get

Dislikes

Very Short

Very Easy and almost linear

No Braid

Too much Alister and Zip

Although Classics had that, but from TRL I did not like too much repetitiveness of the gameplay

Too much mercenaries to kill