Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 30-06-18, 21:45   #12581
Lily.J

Quote:
I have noticed previously that a lot of people prefer the reboot over Rise, which I have always found strange as the reboot was quite lacking in the elements that make up a Tomb Raider game whereas Rise clearly tried to address these areas.
From another angle, 2013 is definitely one of the worst Tomb Raider releases to date.

But if we take it under our wing as an experiment, without being associated with the whole saga… It becomes extremely appreciable.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 22:30   #12582
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
I have noticed previously that a lot of people prefer the reboot over Rise, which I have always found strange as the reboot was quite lacking in the elements that make up a Tomb Raider game whereas Rise clearly tried to address these areas.
That's exactly why I like TR9 more (or rather, hate less) than TR10: TR9 is rather good as a survival horror game whereas TR10 tries and fails to be a TR game.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 22:33   #12583
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
That's exactly why I like TR9 more (or rather, hate less) than TR10: TR9 is rather good as a survival horror game whereas TR10 tries and fails to be a TR game.
I don't really see how TR9 is survival horror? the only horror elements was the (IMO) Over the top gore. you didn't have to conserve ammo or health and every enemy was easy to kill with no loss to resources, I don't really see how it has any of the elements of a Survival Horror game?, it felt like an action game with some forced horror elements to me.

Last edited by Samz; 30-06-18 at 22:40.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 22:35   #12584
iWANEX
Golden

I feel like it's an ongoing theme in this fandom. Usually CD's attempt at creating their game on their own terms is much appreciated than their attempt at pleasing the fans. It happened in LAU, in which Legend is more appreciated than Anniversary and Underworld, and now with TR2013 and Rise. I get the feeling Shadow might be able to change everything, though.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 22:43   #12585
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I don't really see how TR9 is survival horror? the only horror elements was the (IMO) Over the top gore. you didn't have to conserve ammo or health and every enemy was easy to kill with no loss to resources, I don't really see how it has any of the elements of a Survival Horror game?, it felt like an action game with some forced horror elements to me.
Well the piles of corpses, the undead idiots, the swimming pools of blood and the whole 'The Descent' imagery is very horrorish to me.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 22:44   #12586
Samz

Quote:
Well the piles of corpses, the undead idiots, the swimming pools of blood and the whole 'The Descent' imagery is very horrorish to me.
Yeah but its horror elements, so I was confused when you called it Survival Horror.
Old 30-06-18, 22:50   #12587
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I feel like it's an ongoing theme in this fandom. Usually CD's attempt at creating their game on their own terms is much appreciated than their attempt at pleasing the fans. It happened in LAU, in which Legend is more appreciated than Anniversary and Underworld, and now with TR2013 and Rise. I get the feeling Shadow might be able to change everything, though.
Yeah Legend was pretty good, it is (IMO) tied with Underworld for best combat in the series, and the bronze rewards giving you pistol upgrades was neat and I loved collecting the gold ones and getting new outfits.
Old 30-06-18, 22:57   #12588
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
I think it fails miserably as a survival horror game, I mean ammo and resources were abundant and the only area that truly succeeded in being remotely horror-esque was the games introduction.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 23:15   #12589
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
I think it fails miserably as a survival horror game, I mean ammo and resources were abundant and the only area that truly succeeded in being remotely horror-esque was the games introduction.
This. TR13 failed hard on being a survival horror game.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 00:16   #12590
just*raidin*tomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
You're not wrong. In retrospect it seems in the long term more original work becomes appreciated over time than that which is only placed in the game to please everyone. I truly hope that Shadow takes many creative liberties. Fingers crossed.

I remember many people claiming they didnt like Legend back in the day and many of the complaints were the same as they are now. And now seems that Legend is regarded as one of the series' high moments. Interesting how time changes things.

Last edited by just*raidin*tomb; 01-07-18 at 00:19.
just*raidin*tomb is offline   Reply With Quote