Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 02-06-20, 03:13   #1
gr00tcake
Inactive

Default Would you like to see Live-action TR cutscenes

What do you guys think of TR having live action cutscenes? Not all but just the important ones? (like the way FMV’s worked in the classics)

FMV’s in the classics were such a treat, since they were much more appealing than the blocky in-game graphics. A great way to sit back and enjoy after completing a section. Since in-game cutscenes today are really good quality, i think it would be cool to see a handful of live action ones (such as the intro, ending, important scenes, arriving in locations etc). Nice reward after hustling through a level. Would bring the game to life as well

I’m aware continuity could be an issue, especially depending on when they are filmed, but just a thought

Last edited by gr00tcake; 02-06-20 at 03:16.
gr00tcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 03:16   #2
lance6439

No
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 07:59   #3
Soma Holiday

I always associate live action cutscenes in games with a low budget. I know the live action scenes in hellblade and control made them both seem cheap.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 08:09   #4
Amunet

That's a big no from me.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 11:35   #5
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
I always associate live action cutscenes in games with a low budget. I know the live action scenes in hellblade and control made them both seem cheap.
Same, it used to be a technique in old games, especially game adaptions of films.

I'm sure they can make it high budget and look good, but when I think live action, my mind defaults to this...

To be honest, I don't mind so much that the lines between cutscene and gameplay are getting a little blurred, visually.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 12:18   #6
_Seth

Absolutely not. The world that exists within the game should have one consistent graphical and artistic style. To mismatch back and forth from one world to the other would be extremely immersion breaking and jarring.

The current system of cutscenes being ingame but using dedicated higher fidelity character models and shot-for-shot tailored lighting is most definitely the best.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 12:40   #7
jajay119

The minute I saw a live action intro to Resident Evil 3 remake I knew we were in for some trouble. They just don't suit games and like Soma Holiday said I think they're largely associated with low budgets and they're really immersion breaking. So, it's a no from me.

We already have an image crisis with Lara looking way too much like Camilla I don't want to see Camilla playing Lara. I want to see Lara playing Lara. If I want a live action representation I'd rather watch a whole movie.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 14:10   #8
suli
Inactive

no way
but I would love a CGI TR film.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 14:22   #9
Slugly

No way
It would feel so cheap and outdated
Slugly is offline   Reply With Quote