www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 29-04-18, 19:09   #201
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001LC20 View Post
Sometimes i really don't understand why it's too hard to get that.....

*sighs*
Because sometimes, it's easier to pick up on something to hate, instead of focusing on what to love. I've seen this tweet today, that I fully agree. I'm sharing it here:

Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-18, 19:11   #202
2001LC20

^ This is the Tweet of the year! A moment of respect please
And your thoughts...
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-18, 23:54   #203
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Totally agree, which is why I'm glad they're going this way instead of making her so virtuous all the time.

I want to see who she is really, what makes her tick, not see her out crusading on behalf of her father, his name, his reputation, or even saving the world. Yeah, she might do that after she steps into something inadvertantly (I don't mind that) but I don't want that to be her primary motivation.
I didn't mind that Rise explored that aspect, to be honest. I get that it's tiresome after sooooo much family drama but it felt natural giving her story. And it was obvious they couldn't keep milking that after Rise. I mean, I'm sure her father will have a role in Shadow (she's after Richard's killer after all), but I'm positive something will change (probably the apocalypse) that will make her shift her main goal and forget about all that.
iWANEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 01:17   #204
Zael
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Totally agree, which is why I'm glad they're going this way instead of making her so virtuous all the time.

I want to see who she is really, what makes her tick, not see her out crusading on behalf of her father, his name, his reputation, or even saving the world. Yeah, she might do that after she steps into something inadvertantly (I don't mind that) but I don't want that to be her primary motivation.
It will certainly be interesting to follow Lara's development in Shadow, and to consider where her character might end up: in comparison with Classic Lara, for example, or in relation to the most common Hero/Anti-Hero Typologies.

One analysis (which comes up from a quick web search) breaks down the general category of 'Anti-Hero' into 5 distinct 'types':
Quote:
...Ranking them along the Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism lends itself well to a sliding scale of antiheroes... Character Development may cause an anti-hero to shift up or down this scale... Traditionally, a classical hero is a character who always wins their battles, with sharp intellect, unshakable self-confidence, and excellent judgment. [Sounds a bit like Classic Lara, actually, so far.] So it stands to logic that the classical anti-hero, which is the original anti-hero, is terrible in a fight, is not the brightest crayon in the box, riddled with self-doubt, and makes decisions based on self-preservation instead of bravery. [Does not actually sound much like Classic Lara, for the most part.] The classical anti-hero’s story arc follows the conquering of his own fears and coming to terms with himself to fight whatever threat faces him...

...At his core, the Disney Anti-Hero is still fundamentally good, but doesn’t have the relentless optimism of a classical hero. They to be sarcastic and more realistic, and tend to put logic before honor, but they won’t outright perform acts that are morally ambiguous. Like the Classical Anti-Hero, odds are pretty good that this type of anti-hero will develop into a classical hero by story’s end... The Pragmatic Anti-Hero is basically exactly what it sounds like... They won’t kill indiscriminately though: anyone who dies at the hand of the Pragmatic Anti-Hero either had it coming, or had to be killed in order to achieve the higher goal. These anti-heroes are equally as likely to defect from classical heroism by the end of the story as they are to convert...

The Unscrupulous Hero lives in a world that has a morality that is made up of varying shades of grey, with their grey being slightly lighter than that of the villains. Often they live in a really crappy setting, which accounts for their distrust of humanity and penchant towards violence. They’re big on revenge, and when they take their revenge, count on it being something to see. There might be some collateral damage in their actions, but that doesn’t faze them...

[The "Hero" in Name Only:] These anti-heroes fight on the side of good, but they have no good motivation. Either their intentions are completely selfish, and they only happen to be pointing their weapons at the token bad guys, or their motivations are only slightly less terrible than the villains’. Sometimes they’re just bored [Starting to sound more and more like Classic Lara...] and need someone to point a gun at. You’ll still root for them, but you won’t agree with a lot of the ways they do things. Sherlock Holmes in the BBC’s re-imagining of the character is an example, since he explicitly describes himself as a high-functioning sociopath, and makes it clear that he only takes on cases that he finds mentally stimulating. Dexter of the TV series of the same name walks the line between this and a villain protagonist...

Last edited by Zael; 30-04-18 at 19:19.
Zael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 02:20   #205
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

Hey guys! First of all, I'm not sure if this is even allowed but since I was the one who created this thread and I don't really feel like starting a new thread to talk about the trilogy as a whole, I decided to use this one. If this is not ok, please, delete this so that I can start a new thread regarding this topic.

So, I was on Twitter today and the Survivor Reborn account posted a nice caption of Lara and Jonah by the fireplace. And something Lara said to Jonah made me think: "You can't save everyone" and all of the sudden it hit me. That was similar to what Roth said to Lara in TR2013 and I didn't realize it until today. I'm pretty sure EM did their research to incorporate these little things and I'm curious to know if you guys have found more moments throughout the trilogy. Things that are present in every game, or phrases like the one I just mentioned.

I found another one: Lara drowning at the oil refinery scene is very similar to the moment where Roth drops her at the beginning of TR2013.
iWANEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 02:55   #206
laracroftswest
Professor

^ And it's epic af

Old 26-07-19, 08:11   #207
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
So, I was on Twitter today and the Survivor Reborn account posted a nice caption of Lara and Jonah by the fireplace. And something Lara said to Jonah made me think: "You can't save everyone" and all of the sudden it hit me. That was similar to what Roth said to Lara in TR2013 and I didn't realize it until today.
I noticed it right away tbh

I loved that too . I also loved how sad and defeated Lara sounded when she said it , it's like she thought of Roth , Grim and Alex all at the same time and it hit her hard .

This overall scene was pretty great actually .
Old 26-07-19, 08:23   #208
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

That scene is my very favorite of the franchise. Everything was top notch and on poin, and Camilla and Earl were perfect
Old 26-07-19, 08:33   #209
moodydog
Relic Hunter

One thing I'd say about the trilogy is that I thought it was fairly consistent. From a game-play perspective, each one expanded on its predecessor. Although (and I've made my thoughts clear in the past) I think the gameplay was far from ideal, you can clearly see the increase in ambition and scope with each title. I think with any game trilogy, it's important to retain this consistency, so it's clear to see how the games are connected and have a similar play style/ feel.

Now would be a pretty safe time for the developers to vastly expand and experiment with new ideas, change the core concept of the game, rejig the formula a little or even bring it closer to the originals. I believe they can do this whilst keeping it in the same lore of the reboot era.

EDIT just noticed I commented on a year old bumped thread. I hope this isn't an issue since the new comments are clearly intended to promote the discussion.

Last edited by moodydog; 26-07-19 at 08:37.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 16:59   #210
Grimaldi
Professor

Glad this thread is back.

Other than the examples mentioned, there’s a nice parallel between Lara’s last lines of TR2013 and Shadow; at the end of the former, Lara says she’s “not going home” and shows a detachment towards it during Rise, and the house itself is cold and battered, but by the end of the latter, she’s “glad to be home” and is restoring it/moving back in. I think there’s two layers there: she’s reconnected with her familial roots, most obviously, but she’s also starting to take pride in who she is. Painting the study blue, her theme colour, is a nice way of claiming it as her own, as is displaying her discoveries on shelves and the walls.