www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 01-08-19, 21:07   #1111
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
A question I have.

For those who played the Reboot, were they your first introduction to third person shooting in general/cover shooters?
No because of Resident Evil 4 (over the sholder shooter) and Mass Effect (cover system), but it still has one of my preferred cover shooting mechanics: let the cover be automatic and let me focus on just moving and shooting things.
Old 01-08-19, 21:11   #1112
jhons0529
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Honestly I feel like Uncharted was a main reason why TR Ascension was cancelled. They saw it as a more modern Tomb Raider like experience and thus they wanted to jump on that train before it set off.

I don't know why but I've always felt Uncharted to be a more modern TR game. I know it lacks several key systems of TR, but I think it's mostly due to the characters being fun, the light heartedness of the story, and the level design being compiled like individual levels "chapters" like the classic games. I also liked some of the puzzles from Uncharted and the notebook is something I wish they kept with it.

The tombs were always beautiful too, my God was I in awe of that Indian Tomb from Uncharted 2. For some reason it reminded me alot of the TR movies.
Uncharted tackles the spirit of fun much better nowadays, which is weird since its what Tomb Raider is meant to be doing.
The Uncharted sections where he's young feel very familiar to Lara's younger sections too.
I mean I know its different to the classics, but the spirit of it being light hearted with humor and some serious intent in between is very healthy. There's also the Uncharted characters who don't feel quite literally like they are purely playing a role just for the moment like in current Tomb Raider, something about the character interactions feel far too cheesy whereas Uncharted to me feels like there's some awareness to it, which is a good thing. They may be cheesy, but its not taking itself 100% seriously.

Traversal is far more interesting. It feels like whenever Tomb Raider wants to throw out complex traversal its just a scaled wall that you jumb to from a basic ledge. Uncharted has swinging from ropes, shooting from ledges and better execution of stealth. The ropes in particular are a big deal with how its used as its getting from ledge to ledge. Uncharted 4 I'd say is the best example along with Uncharted 2.

Uncharted also has been far more visually expressive, its vibrant and pretty and tries itself with its darker sections too. Tomb Raider has pretty much been spamming grit. Shadow at least got out of that a bit.

I really don't mean to shame TR2013+ in this instance but I have to agree on the idea of just wanting to change Nathan with Lara, it kind of would make more sense. I envy how Uncharted is now more colourful than Tomb Raider.
Old 02-08-19, 09:37   #1113
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
A question I have.

For those who played the Reboot, were they your first introduction to third person shooting in general/cover shooters?
Yes.
To be more specific, it was the first game I've ever played in 15 years, if we ignore Diablo and daily matches on Quake 3 Arena.
Old 02-08-19, 11:31   #1114
Rai

Quote:
A question I have.

Yes. But then Tomb Raider are the only games I play, so...
Old 02-08-19, 12:24   #1115
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

suli derailing a thread again? Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
If Iím not mistaken, TR3 was going to be an expansion/DLC of TR2, at first. It was going to be named Tomb Raider 2.5, hence the same Lara model, SFX, similar graphics as a whole, etc. I think they realized at some point that there was enough content for a full game, so here we are.

Classic TRís betas and development never cease to fascinate me.
Yeah I remember that. Regarding the sounds I do think it's because the cutscenes/fmvs have to be made earlier before any sound effect changes that may have come later.
Old 02-08-19, 13:00   #1116
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Was it ever explained why Lara didn't have her leg straps on the TR4 in game model? It's so silly becase that model is clearly better put together than the TR2-3 one but the leg straps bug me to the point that I cannot enjoy the model. They never even fixed it in chronicles either. Even new costumes like the camo in the U-Boat levels didn't have them :/
Old 02-08-19, 14:00   #1117
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Was it ever explained why Lara didn't have her leg straps on the TR4 in game model?
I've always wondered about this too. The updated cgi model for TLR has them, so she should've had them in-game as well. I'm curious if it was a mistake, or if they left them out intentionally.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 15:02   #1118
TR1249
Archaeologist

They probably forgot about it or didn't cared about it
Old 02-08-19, 16:05   #1119
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Was it ever explained why Lara didn't have her leg straps on the TR4 in game model? It's so silly becase that model is clearly better put together than the TR2-3 one but the leg straps bug me to the point that I cannot enjoy the model. They never even fixed it in chronicles either. Even new costumes like the camo in the U-Boat levels didn't have them :/
I've seen the holster straps added through a mod outfit or TRLE, and for some reason on one of her legs the straps is wonky. So it's possible they knew this but didn't wanna alter the mesh? So decided to just remove them.

It already looks somewhat better with them.

But I agree. The outfit just looks wrong without leg straps. It was one of the reasons I disliked TR4 when I was younger lol I also don't like how the pistols curve around her bum in the TR4 outfit. I prefer them being more at her side.

Old 02-08-19, 16:23   #1120
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

I never noticed this and now it irritates me