www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 22-06-19, 17:35   #21
FanosCroft
Professor

All trash and bring except for the first chapter and cenote and povenir oil fields.
Old 22-06-19, 17:47   #22
Chamayoo
Professor

Nah, trial of the eagle is the best.

By the way, as the majority (by next to nothing) wants, we'll use the official level constitution. I updated the first post.

Last edited by tlr online; 14-07-19 at 13:22. Reason: Links removed. You may request a poll from the team.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-19, 17:53   #23
veigafd
Archaeologist

I Gave a 6 to Cozumel mainly because of the scripted bs that plagues every singles game nowadays, forced walking and unskippable cutscenes.
I Gave a 10 to the jungle because when I first played it felt like a bit of fresh Air from the beginning, as I use to say, shadow shines for me when you are Free to Wander around at your own Pace looking for treasures and tombs.
Old 23-06-19, 07:53   #24
Raider8
Student

Cozumel (8/10) - The good thing was a fresh start, featuring day of the dead festival which is interesting and all colorful. Then the beautiful view of the sea and traversal, nice little tomb and the only tiny cute pyramid. Plus the flood scene and gameplay was intense. The bad thing is it being a walking simulator and you revisit just to know you are in the cave and can't roam around the city, or those cliffs.

Peruvian Jungle (9/10) - Beautiful views, exploration, intense jaguar sequence, free to wear whatever the faak you want. Bad thing, Lara getting there stranded in an accident like every reboot game and collecting her gear from scratch.

Lara's Dream (10/10) - Mainly becoz Croft Manor!!! ya know. It was so good to play as very young lara, to explore bits of the exteriors of the manor and what was totally unexpected (that you get to climb it to the top and enjoy the view, since this was never allowed in any TR game). Puzzle section was also really good. Beautiful soundtrack and one of the most attractive levels of the whole game dedicated to her memories.

Kuwaq yaku (6/10) - It was like meh... The village is okay to me but i wanted it to be like kitezh (I don't mean people dead but the way everything was climbable and scalable there made kitezh good and same goes for Paititi). I hate the talking segments in the village. The jungle part was good also the whole round trip you take including puzzles, combat and underwater segments were good which is why it's a 6 and not worse.

Trial of the Eagle (8/10)
Very nice puzzle both visually and gameplay-wise. Traversal is really good. Really enjoyed this segment. -2 because i wanted this to be even longer and more deep and challenging.

Paititi (4/10)
The city looks beautiful, tribal culture was represented very nicely and it was a good effort by the devs. The outfit restriction!... ughhh.. as you all know ruined hell out of the experience. Also my expectation was something like kitezh (again I'd say it's still my most favorite hub in the trilogy) when i heard about a hidden city in shadow. very less or nearly zero buildings that you can't traverse or play around. You just have to wander like normal people on normal paths and can't use weapons. Also apart from missions there should have been more challenges or something more to it.

Belly of the Serpent (7/10)
It was a good segment but felt very short. The pit of dead bodies was so horrifying and deadly. I liked the traversal there, wish it lasted longer (like we would start from the bottom climbing our way to the top). Blood stream puzzle was unique and had the potential to be bigger but it was very short and easy. These two powerful sections were a bit brief.

Mountain Temple (7/10)
Really loved entering that place and all the atmosphere in the first semi-open section. This could have been made a small hub area to play around which i would really appreciate. Lara is allowed to use weapons due to the combat ahead (i liked that room where the combat takes place). Didn't like the part when freeing etzli we got unuratu captured like... really? that could happen later or some other time but the game was to be made short alas.

Last edited by Raider8; 16-07-19 at 10:13.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-19, 13:45   #25
killchan
Explorer

1) Cozumel 1/10. 0 for the 12 minutes wasted doing nothing, 1 for the basic tutorial and Nth instance of the same lazy "Run for your life" scripted bs we've seen for decades now

2) Peruvian Jungle: 6/10 It's a (pretty) Peruvian jungle with nothing in it, no gameplay value and the tomb is literally around the corner. It tries the recapture the "magic"(?) of the first stage of TR2013. I can't say it failed, that game wasn't that great either.
And there are 2 jaguars, and we're supposed to be scared by them but... should we? Not to long ago we've pulverized wolves, Russians, THREE ARMIES, a ****ing BEAR and AN ATTACK HELICOPTER. The fact that these jaguars were programmed with Lara's non-existent moveset in mind doesn't help. Hip-fire would have allowed for more dangerous CQC fights, but ehi , that would imply programming and new animations, and who does that in 2018?
So yeah, it's 2 for the level and 4 for the Aliens reference.
Old 24-06-19, 16:10   #26
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
1) Cozumel 1/10. 0 for the 12 minutes wasted doing nothing, 1 for the basic tutorial and Nth instance of the same lazy "Run for your life" scripted bs we've seen for decades now

2) Peruvian Jungle: 6/10 It's a (pretty) Peruvian jungle with nothing in it, no gameplay value and the tomb is literally around the corner. It tries the recapture the "magic"(?) of the first stage of TR2013. I can't say it failed, that game wasn't that great either.
And there are 2 jaguars, and we're supposed to be scared by them but... should we? Not to long ago we've pulverized wolves, Russians, THREE ARMIES, a ****ing BEAR and AN ATTACK HELICOPTER. The fact that these jaguars were programmed with Lara's non-existent moveset in mind doesn't help. Hip-fire would have allowed for more dangerous CQC fights, but ehi , that would imply programming and new animations, and who does that in 2018?
So yeah, it's 2 for the level and 4 for the Aliens reference.
Thanks for your review ! But weirdly enough I received 2/10 and 5/10 from someone from Italy. Is that really you because the ratings are different ?

By the way I didn't share my ratings.

Cozumel 7/10 - The part from cliff to the tsunami was really good, likely 8/10. But the first part, while a lovely setting, is so tedious to replay ! That long walk deserved a point fewer. Almost two points but I am kind.
Peruvian Jungle 7/10 - Lovely setting, nice pace but a bit unenventful gameplay. And felt linear despite to be open in certain areas. The highlight is the jaguar fight and the area when you get the knife from the broken plane.

Last edited by tlr online; 14-07-19 at 13:22. Reason: Links removed. You may request a poll from the team.
Old 24-06-19, 18:13   #27
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

Level 1. Cozumel (7/10) - I’d call it the strongest opening segment the trilogy has had, which is not that hard considering the precedents. The initial sequence may not be as interactive as it should and is pretty on-rails, but compared to Rise and 2013, it felt engrossing and gripping, throwing Lara into a dangerous situation like in the past but showing her resourceful side from the get-go. The Cozumel festival sets a tone and premise that is presented in stark contrast to everything we’ve seen in the previous games (and ironically, it falsely exhibits a storytelling style that ends up being abandoned a few hours into the game), but as a downside it is heavily restricted. Regardless of that, it offers some unseen lighthearted moments which are greatly appreciated. The Cozumel caves act as a counterpart to the Prophet’s Tomb and doesn’t alter the formula much, which worked well enough in said level, so there’s not much to analyse. The tomb area itself is structurally similar, although I enjoyed exploring the Syrian contraption a bit more. The following combat scenario and scripted sequence are well done and highlight the impending doom. Overall, a quite solid (but misleading) start that would’ve benefited from some more time exploring the Cozumel cliffs.

Favourite part: Scaling the cliffs and overlooking the landscape with the skull-shaped mountain.

Level 2. Peruvian Jungle (9/10) - Undoubtedly, the best area in the game, following the trail of other effective early hubs in the past two instalments, namely Coastal Forest and Siberian Wilderness, but in this case it hits the jackpot with its wonderful setting. The jungle environments have always worked for Tomb Raider and this time it’s no exception, the Peruvian Jungle is incredibly atmospheric and visually breathtaking. Story-wise, it’s nothing groundbreaking and even resorts to certain motifs that have plagued the reboot so far, but the pacing felt natural and the storytelling elements weren’t that forced for some reason, it felt organic. New areas opening as we delve deeper, gain new gear and fight new enemies; it was all assembled in a way like a Classic experience would be. Not enough mandatory exploration is my main complaint, but everything else was pretty much spot on considering it’s a reboot game we’re talking about. The jungle felt alive from the beginning, with all the buzzing wildlife and the spectacular sound design. The level of immersion was the highest this trilogy has seen and isn’t replicated ever again throughout the game. I would’ve liked to see the Wild Jungle (Paititi) and the surroundings of San Juan to be part of the Peruvian Jungle, it would’ve made it even better. The challenge tombs, despite not being as riveting as others, still featured lovely puzzles and incredible vistas. The isolation and sense of discovery they provide is great and very appreciated. Jonah’s presence wasn’t a big burden, but I could’ve done without him, although there was some interesting dialogue between the two of them. All in all, the undisputed best area in the game.

Favourite part: For some reason, the spot where the Jungle Ruins camp site is was very reminiscent of Tomb Raider III and the first time I reached it, a stream of nostalgia went down my spine. It’s now my favourite place in the area.

– – –

I’ll update the next levels’ scores as polls roll out.

Level 3. Lara's Dream (?/10)
Level 4. Kuwaq Yaku (?/10)
Level 5. Trial of the Eagle (?/10)
Level 6. The Hidden City (?/10)
Level 7. Belly of the Serpent (?/10)
Level 8. Mountain Temple (?/10)
Level 9. Cenote (?/10)
Level 10. Riverbed / Porvenir Oil Fields (?/10)
Level 11. Mission of San Juan (?/10)
Level 12. City of the Serpent (?/10)
Old 24-06-19, 19:32   #28
Chamayoo
Professor

^ Thank you very much for this implication, a pleasant reading !

I like a lot your idea to assemble the surroundings of Paititi and San Juan with Peruvian Jungles !
Old 25-06-19, 00:14   #29
trfan16
Archaeologist

Level 1. Cozumel - 6/10 - The beginning part of the level was essentially a forced walking segment. It would've been nice if you were able to have more freedom in exploring the town parts, but I guess you do more of that later in the game anyways. The catacomb parts of the level were a pretty nice way to touch up on the Reboot mechanics. I feel Siberia from Rise of the Tomb Raider was a better intro level, but this one wasn't so bad.

Level 2. Peruvian Jungle - 8/10 - First off, I have to say that EM nailed the jungle environment in this game. I love the beautiful colors and openess of the jungle areas. My only two complaints about this area is 1.) Being forced to walk with Jonas through a majority of the jungle and 2.) the lack of threats in the jungle. I wish the jungle was a little similar to the Jungle in TRIII that was filled with deadly traps and other environmental hazards.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-19, 08:46   #30
Chamayoo
Professor

New week, new poll !

Lara's Dream
The entire flashback sequence when you played Young Lara at Croft Manor.

Kuwaq Yaku
The hub of the sinking village, the path when you fight Trinity soldiers in the jungle and above the water, the Temple of the Living (when all is on fire with the puzzle of the dates) and the path underwater with piranhas.

The first poll is still accessible in the very first post.