www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 20-07-19, 10:40   #21
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Translating isn’t always necessary though. “Tomb Raider” is essentially the character’s title. Kinda like, Crash Bandicoot, Batman, Spiderman or something like that.

For example, in Japanese we say “スパイダーマン” (Supaidaman), not “雲の人”(Kumo no Hito: Person of Spider) because the second one, while being a literal translation, doesn’t mean anything. It’s also not a Japanese property, it’s a foreign one so using the katakana to spell out the original English term just makes more sense.

As an adjective though I suppose a literal translation could work (like in a scene detailing or discussing what it is she does) but as far as the character itself, I think the katakana works the best.

The kanji you’ve listed is also very very complex. And unfortunately it doesn’t really make all that much sense or translate very well. Even in English, the title “Tomb Raider” isn’t gender specific either. It TECHNICALLY makes sense to me because I know what you’re trying to say but... it’s still a bit weird.

I think you’re approaching translating from the mindset that just because there’s a Japanese word for an English word that it’ll translate really well and that isn’t always the case. The Japanese language and culture use words and phrases completely differently to English. The best example for this is “Dickhead.” If you call someone a dickhead in English then it’s obvious that it’s an insult. Because that’s an insult in the English language.

So you might think, oh! Okay. So “Dick” is ちんちん(ChinChin) in Japanese. And head is “あたま.” (a ta ma)... so therefore if I want to call someone a dickhead in Japanese, I should just say “ちんちんあたま!” right? Nope. Not at all. Because it isn’t a phrase or insult that exists in Japanese. You could call a Japanese person that but they wouldn’t at all understand it as an insult and would most likely just laugh at the weird combination of words.

The better Japanese equivalent to calling someone a dick is really just “おまえ” (Omae). Which in English would just translate to “You.” And in English, the word “You” isn’t considered rude is it? Kinda funny and interesting isn’t it? ^.^

Anyway sorry for my long winded post, what I’m basically trying to say is, is that sometimes not literally translating something actually works out better ^.^ Very happy you’re enjoying the Japanese game though!
Old 20-07-19, 11:00   #22
New Dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Translating isn’t always necessary though. “Tomb Raider” is essentially the character’s title. Kinda like, Crash Bandicoot, Batman, Spiderman or something like that.

For example, in Japanese we say “スパイダーマン” (Supaidaman), not “雲の人”(Kumo no Hito: Person of Spider) because the second one, while being a literal translation, doesn’t mean anything. It’s also not a Japanese property, it’s a foreign one so using the katakana to spell out the original English term just makes more sense.

As an adjective though I suppose a literal translation could work (like in a scene detailing or discussing what it is she does) but as far as the character itself, I think the katakana works the best.

The kanji you’ve listed is also very very complex. And unfortunately it doesn’t really make all that much sense or translate very well. Even in English, the title “Tomb Raider” isn’t gender specific either. It TECHNICALLY makes sense to me because I know what you’re trying to say but... it’s still a bit weird.

I think you’re approaching translating from the mindset that just because there’s a Japanese word for an English word that it’ll translate really well and that isn’t always the case. The Japanese language and culture use words and phrases completely differently to English. The best example for this is “Dickhead.” If you call someone a dickhead in English then it’s obvious that it’s an insult. Because that’s an insult in the English language.

So you might think, oh! Okay. So “Dick” is ちんちん(ChinChin) in Japanese. And head is “あたま.” (a ta ma)... so therefore if I want to call someone a dickhead in Japanese, I should just say “ちんちんあたま!” right? Nope. Not at all. Because it isn’t a phrase or insult that exists in Japanese. You could call a Japanese person that but they wouldn’t at all understand it as an insult and would most likely just laugh at the weird combination of words.

The better Japanese equivalent to calling someone a dick is really just “おまえ” (Omae). Which in English would just translate to “You.” And in English, the word “You” isn’t considered rude is it? Kinda funny and interesting isn’t it? ^.^

Anyway sorry for my long winded post, what I’m basically trying to say is, is that sometimes not literally translating something actually works out better ^.^ Very happy you’re enjoying the Japanese game though!
Be the localization for my game.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 00:27   #23
Cat Woman
Explorer

Interesting above two posts. I am bilingual (English & French) where English is my first language. I find too that when I translate something between the two that I will translate it literally- and you miss some of the meanings.
Old 21-07-19, 02:06   #24
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman View Post
Interesting above two posts. I am bilingual (English & French) where English is my first language. I find too that when I translate something between the two that I will translate it literally- and you miss some of the meanings.
yes it’s so interesting ^.^ mostly difficult and confusing but still definitely very interesting haha
Old 23-07-19, 08:48   #25
Prinz Eugen
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post

Your post is fine and detailed
I am no japanese speaker but I know how japanese is structured, the scripts it uses etc... I even know all the hiragana and katakana. Kanji, on the other hand... well...