www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 04-08-19, 14:36   #51
Prinz Eugen
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
2013 was my first AAA game in a loooong time. That game encouraged the player to use SI, so I did... but after a while I stopped using it except for whenever it was time to loot dead bodies. There were a lot of those.

then I played Assassin's Creed, Dead Space and Resident Evil 6 and those made me realize how stupid that mechanic was.

ever since Rise came out I started disabling everything related to hints, but the stupidiest implementation of this system was the one implemented in Mirror's Edge Catalyst: while the original Mirror's Edge had a not so invasive red texture system, for the 2nd game the studio went nuts and put a frigging red trail that literally tells you where to go. The worst part is that a specific type of side mission (the one involving cops) required that red trail, mainly because of the time limit. So stupid.

My conclusion is that this kind of mechanic shouldn't be in any game, and that games shouldn't be designed around SI or immersion breaking HUD elements in general: objective markers, trails, compass, minimap etc.
if the environment and/or the quest log is not detailed enought to make people progress, you're doing it wrong.
Indeed, there are also more games that use the mechanic. I am playing AC Odissey and the “SI” (if you want to call it that way ) is stupid. Origins was the same. But luckily it can be disabled. In fact I disabled all interface things except for loot (so I can see what I am picking up) and I am enjoying it much more and I can see the landscapes around me cleanly, which is cool.
Particularly, with the interface things on, I didn’t like the fact that Ikaros highlights where the enemies are, and what level they are, permanently. I mean, it’s cool to watch things from above but the highlights makes the bird act like a modern day drone which makes no sense. But then again, it can disabled.

AC Odissey is also the reason why it will take me a while to get back at Shadow, as I already said previously. It is a pretty big game. Took me 61 hours just to finish the main quest, I am almost 80 hours in now and I still haven’t discovered all regions yet and the only region I cleaned up completely is Boeotia
I intend to clean up everything, just like I did in Shadow (which took me 27 hours, just for comparison )

By the way, sorry for the off topic question now but can someone tell me how to multiquote? Rai told me there’s a button for it but can’t figure out where.
Do I need perception plants to find out?

Last edited by Prinz Eugen; 04-08-19 at 14:40.
Prinz Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 16:30   #52
Gabi
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz Eugen View Post

By the way, sorry for the off topic question now but can someone tell me how to multiquote? Rai told me thereís a button for it but canít figure out where.
Do I need perception plants to find out?
From our rules thread:
Quote:
If you want to quote more than one post you can do so by clicking the button on those you want to include in your reply and then proceed to as usual.
Old 09-08-19, 02:03   #53
Prinz Eugen
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Perception is actually even more powerful than survival instinct.

You can see living things through walls, it's active even when you move...
Ahah I didnít even remember that! Iíll make sure to not use them at all next time. Maybe I will just sell them to the first merchant I pass by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi View Post
From our rules thread:
Thanks for your kind response Gabi