www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-07-19, 13:56   #11
AshesBorn
Professor

Just having much fewer NPCs, each with their own agenda and a memorable personality. Paititi was oversaturated with a bunch of generic people saying or asking for generic things. They felt like props.

I think it could've been more impactful to find Paititi half-destroyed because of what Lara did and then occasionally come across survivors who have their own **** to worry about and don't particularly care for Lara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
A dark uninhabited jungle. The remains of a once great civilization, almost completely wiped out by Trinity. A once peaceful and loving people, forced to live deep underground in caves. Eventually becoming the Yaxil. When Lara takes the dagger at the beginning of the game she sets in motion a sequence of events that will lead towards a blood-moon-eclipse. An ancient magical event that will grant the Yaxil not only the power necessary to achieve vengeance against Trinity, but also wipe out the entire world and reclaim it as their own.

The only way to stop this is with the dagger and box, the combination of the two being the only thing strong enough to permanently wipe them out. Lara ultimately ends up having to help Trinity, as not doing so could potentially kill everyone on the planet, but part of her understands the Yaxil’s pain. This would also end up actually being a pay off to the hyped up “morally confused” Lara they kept yammering on about.
This sounds fantastic!
Old 23-07-19, 13:59   #12
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

I would have loved a large Jungle at sunset (and night) hub with Mayan Temples that you can explore and insane views.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-19, 16:14   #13
tomee
Tomb Raider

I can only guess, but I feel like Paititi and the subplot of Paititi was created before EM created Shadow. It's like they had this concept and they had to shoehorn it into a Tomb Raider game. The whole Trinity controlling it from within and as everyone says the way it's out in the open...

Personally I would've discarded the whole plot of the city, possibly the inhabitants as well and just have the Yaaxil roam the ruins.

Alternatively they could've put Paititi in a remote area. Think something like the Darien Gap in Panama/Colombia which has no road networks and it's overrun by paramilitary forces. These gunmen being part of trinity/being manipulated by Trinity would've made so much more sense than them trying to control this random indigenous town that's a 10 minute trek away from the modern world.
Old 23-07-19, 22:19   #14
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
I would have preferred a vast and deep jungle in the size of Paititi. Full of dangerous animals, beautiful sights and tombs. Not a single person in sight.
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Personally I would've discarded the whole plot of the city, possibly the inhabitants as well and just have the Yaaxil roam the ruins.
also this.
Old 23-07-19, 22:32   #15
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Many great ideas in this thread , all a thousand times better and more interesting than what we ended up getting . I vote for the Kitezh treatment , that is how you build up the discovery of a place truly hidden and reveal its grandeur at the end .

A ruined Paititi (whether positioned somewhere genuinely remote , isolated and extremely far away from any modernity like tomee suggested or buried deep under some ivy-covered caves filled with only Yaxxil and vicious wildlife) would've been super amazing , both from a gameplay and narrative perspective , because it would require a total re-write of the plot , which means no Uniratu , no insufferable Etzli , no embarrassing reduction of Trinity and its leader to Paititi babysitters , no incredibly boring NPCs or their noisy blabbing in the background and most importantly no Lara white-knighting and being everyone's obedient good friend .
Old 23-07-19, 23:34   #16
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

For me, I'd have liked something like this.......

Abandoned in the middle of thick forest. Something grand, ancient and inexplicable that NOBODY understood, even the local people who hadn't built it and knew only myths of the original creators.

Any native people we came across would have been hostile and not easily won over.

Our job would have been to work out the mystery of the site not bond with the locals in order to defeat the evil forces.

Our relationship with others seeking the same answers would have been more complex than just "these are the bad guys and Lara must get the *thing* before they wreck the world".

And personally I wouldn't have minded if there were time travel involved and Lara went back to when the site was populated and we saw it in it's pristine state - completely different from the shell it is now. With roads and canals and maybe even machinary and technology (I'd have preferred a more advanced civlisation than the one shown in Shadow). And maybe even saved someone from a ritual sacrifice at the top of a pyramid as in the original trailer..............
Old 24-07-19, 08:49   #17
Raider8
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
.... And maybe even saved someone from a ritual sacrifice at the top of a pyramid as in the original trailer..............
I was highly expecting this badass moment to happen in the game. Turned out nothing did.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-19, 08:51   #18
jackoimina
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Yes, if we're talking complete alternative to Paititi i the game than this is it. I mean for a tomb raiding game set in amazon jungle we never got to see a single pyramid up close, climb on it etc. I'm not counting the one in Cozumel, I wanted a pyramid in the jungle. Also yes, was expecting to have to stop at least one ritual sacrifice xD
Old 24-07-19, 11:23   #19
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post
Yes, if we're talking complete alternative to Paititi i the game than this is it. I mean for a tomb raiding game set in amazon jungle we never got to see a single pyramid up close, climb on it etc. I'm not counting the one in Cozumel, I wanted a pyramid in the jungle. Also yes, was expecting to have to stop at least one ritual sacrifice xD
We actualy climb a pyramid at the end of the game. The place when the boss attack us is a pyramid. And there's actually a sacrifice on it.
Old 24-07-19, 11:40   #20
_Seth
Explorer

An underground long forgotten city of ruins and ancient monuments, with its once-beauty still visible beneath the overgrowth of plants, moss, and erosion. Think Uncharted 2's Shambala, but underground, dirtier and more desolate.