Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 02-05-21, 10:37   #1
Brutal

Default Lighting multiple "rooms" question.

Hi, I've made a fairly large room, made with many many small rooms. But i have just noticed that when i add some lighting it will only affect the room that its in and not spread through to other rooms.

Example: Say you make a room 4 clicks (1 block) high. Then you stack another 9 of the same room on top of each other to make a large room. Then when adding a light to one of the rooms the light will only effect that room.

Is there a way to change this so the light spreads to other rooms or do i have to put a light source in every "room" of the large room?

Thanks
Brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 10:49   #2
croftyboy

Light doesn't spread through rooms in the editor itself, but in game it should be spreading. Did you check how it looks in game?
croftyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 11:23   #3
klona
Golden

You have to put the light in each room.
Lights will not spread from room to room. Not in the editor, not in game.
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 13:16   #4
PedroTheGamer

Do you mean a "synchronization" between them? You have to do this manually between the rooms adjusting in the same way as the room above or right, regardless of position. I've done something similar and it's not very difficult, you train and you get results.
PedroTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 21:40   #5
croftyboy

Thanks Klona for correcting me. What I meant was portal transitions. I only just realised Brutal meant a single bulb to affect all the rooms below.

So I made a comparison screenshot to explain what I meant previously;

The top one is how it looks in-game. Red line indicates where two rooms are joint.
Bottom one is how it looks in TE.
As you can see, in the editor it is a sharp cut but in game there's a transition.

Be aware that both of the rooms have exact same textures and ambient lighting (which is 0,0,0) and I only placed a single point light and didn't even change any value. So playing with these values may give you various effects.

If your "Portal Shade" selection is "default" or "smooth", you will be having transitions. If you select "sharp" it will look exactly like how it looks in editor.

But unfortunately, TE/TRLE is still a 20 year old engine/editor so we can't have one single lightsource to affect multiple rooms.
croftyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 06:00   #6
TR-Freak
Unverified

What you can do is placing the light twice on the same position.
One light in Room 1 (where it is meant to be) and in Room 2 in the exact same position (i.e. outside of bounds).
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 08:47   #7
Brutal

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, i wish i knew all this before working on my room, thats made up of about 40 smaller rooms. Quickly finding lighting to be a pain in the butt. Just takes practise and patience i guess, i'll get there.
Brutal is offline   Reply With Quote