Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 13-09-12, 20:54   #1
jonathanrij

Thumbs up Unfinished Business PS1 Project

16 years after its exclusive release on the PC, the first Tomb Raider expansion pack, Unfinished Business, has become a reality on the PlayStation 1. A dream come true for many Tomb Raider and PlayStation fans out there. Compared to the PC version, it runs without any annoying compatibility issues, provided it's loaded on devices that offer proper PS1 support or emulation. This makes it a great solution for those who were unable to play it before.

Credits
- Gh0stBlade: project leader; level conversion from PC -> PS1
- jonathanrij: testing; additional problem solving

Update log

Current status
Finished, but with PS1 engine constraints taken into account. Due to memory limits, all mutants in the Egypt levels have been replaced with panthers. This is to ensure smooth, uninterrupted gameplay without compromising the level experience too much.

Gameplay footage:

Please excuse the darkness of the video. Some settings were accidentally altered before recording.

To play it safe, we will only distribute the following assets:
  • PS1 level files
  • Loading screens
->DOWNLOAD<-

Audio track list:
2. Tomb Raider 1 theme
3. Egypt ambience (wind)
4. Atlantis ambience (heartbeat)
13. Secret chime

This order is relevant for when you want to make your own PS1 disk image, to ensure correct audio triggering. The ambience tracks can be found on most TR2 discs as track 29 and 30, respectively. TR1 Gold discs (like the Premier Collection edition) should contain them too, with the same track numbers as stated above.

Disclaimer:

It's up to the people themselves what they intend to do with these files. If there is any harm/damage incurred by the usage of them, we are not responsible.

Please do not ask how to use these files on PlayStation hardware.

This is a completely non-profit fan project. If you feel that the release of these files has somehow infringed your rights and you'd like them to be removed, please contact us or a forum administrator and they will be removed as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.

16-7-2014
Finalization of previously mentioned items. Texture conversion based on custom positions was replaced with automatic texture conversion and is pretty much done.
The project is around 95% done. Egypt now loads correctly with the winged mutant, but there are some camera and crashing issues every now and then due to boxes/zones being partially removed. This is in order to avoid breaching. The levels are therefore playable, but still unoptimized. A new way to effectively remove boxes/zones in inaccessible areas will be looked into to allow uninterrupted gameplay.

Link to original post, here.

24-11-2013
A number of things were worked on, which include custom texture position import to divide textures properly, a boxes/zones removal tool to allow the presence of winged mutants, underwater palette generation and the final exceptions of mesh conversion.

13-7-2013
Texture co-ordinate code is implemented and texture pages as a whole are temporarily converted to 4 bit.

7-7-2013
All new lighting info is imported into the Atlantis levels.
Egypt levels load after experimenting with removal of objects. The levels are now playable without the winged mutants. Most likely cause is memory allocation limits on the boxes and zones overlaps.
Texture conversion code is in progress.

9-6-2013
Gh0stBlade creates new .PHD -> .PSX conversion tool, with everything supported besides textures conversion. Lighting is now 100% accurate and full WAD conversion is supported.

6-1-2013
Attempt at rebuilding the Egypt levels in Dxtre3d, but that appears to be impossible.

12-12-2012
Test level generated with Dxtre3d, successfully converted to PS1.

29-11-2012
Latest video of this project [outdated now]:

8-11-2012
Atlantis comparison screens between PC and PSX.

2-10-2012
Video shows that Atlantean Stronghold and The Hive have been converted successfully. Save crystal placement still needs some work, but it's basically completely done. There is however an issue with the Egypt levels, caused by something that is unknown at the moment. So the project will be on hold until further notice.

22-9-2012
This level is really getting there. Room lighting has been fixed and it looks so much more atmospheric now. Some textures have been fixed as well. Progress has been going a bit slow lately, but it got a drastic improvement today.

21-9-2012
Atlantean Stronghold is still in development, about 90% done. Misplaced triangle textures will be fixed next. The Hive is being worked on.

Video [now private] shows off Atlantean Stronghold in its final conversion stages. There are major texture improvements and actual save crystals.

16-9-2012
Most textures in Atlantean Stronghold have been fixed, so this level is almost done.

15-9-2012
A lot of textures have been fixed in Atlantean Stronghold.

14-9-2012
Video [now private] shows that a lot of progress has been made. There are now objects and items, plus the camera has been fixed. The only big issue left is the misplaced textures.

Additional info from the designers of Unfinished Business (quoted from Stella):
Quote:
According to Philip Campbell, the level designer for Unfinished Business, the Atlantis levels were meant to be played before Return to Egypt, and Lara was intended to start with only the pistols. In an interview with Theresa Jenne from tombraiders.com, Campbell explained, "That sets them at the correct difficulty level (i.e., expert). You have to start without pickups and only with your pistols. Then, the shotgun is easy to get, and I provided plenty of shells to influence the player to use it, and perhaps also influence the style of play—slow and stealthy. The Uzis are then not available until the second level, and they are in a special place (the 'shop window' in the big Lava room). The magnums are reasonably well hidden in the first level."
Gh0stBlade may use this level order, but he'll most likely just use the PC order.

13-9-2012
Video [now private] shows level with no objects and items, a lot of graphical issues, camera issues and misplaced textures, but the rooms are all there.

This project has been approved by a moderator, so we're fully allowed to talk about it. I'll update this thread whenever there are more updates.

Last edited by jonathanrij; 11-07-19 at 17:27. Reason: Added credits and finalized OP
jonathanrij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 20:56   #2
Drone

I wonder who's porting it
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 20:57   #3
peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanrij View Post

It has happened. 14 years after its release on the PC, Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business is getting a port to the PlayStation 1. A dream come true for some of you. Compared to the PC version, it should have no compatibility issues, and it'd possible to play it on handheld devices that support PS1 games.

As you can see, it still has a lot of graphical issues and misplaced textures, but it's getting there. Release date is unknown at the moment.

This has been approved by a moderator, so we're fully allowed to talk about it. I'll update this thread when there's more info.
WOW! I can't believe it happened however I'll only be interested in the TR3 gold since the environment is beautiful there unlike TR1 Gold, TR2, Gold and TR4 Times bonus level.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 20:58   #4
Phlip
Inactive

Interesting... mildly pointless, though. Surely it would be easier to port it to Windows.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 20:59   #5
RoxasKennedy

Holy ravioli.
RoxasKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 21:00   #6
jonathanrij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
Interesting... mildly pointless, though. Surely it would be easier to port it to Windows.
No way it's pointless. I could play it on my PSP .

So excited, because I've never played Unfinished Business before, due to compatibility issues.
Old 13-09-12, 21:00   #7
peeves

I hope the US PSN store will eventually get a TR3 gold to the PSN. The UK store will probably happen but I was surprised that the US PSN never got TR5 nor TR6.
Old 13-09-12, 21:07   #8
Phlip
Inactive

How cool would it be if this works out, gets officially recognised and put on PSN?
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 21:08   #9
jonathanrij

^ To be honest that wouldn't surprise me at all .

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
I hope the US PSN store will eventually get a TR3 gold to the PSN. The UK store will probably happen but I was surprised that the US PSN never got TR5 nor TR6.
This is an unofficial port. I really doubt a different team would invest time in porting all of them for PSN. We can only hope.

Last edited by jonathanrij; 13-09-12 at 21:09.
Old 13-09-12, 21:08   #10
peeves

^ what do you mean unofficial?