Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 18-06-19, 22:03   #591
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
If I don’t see Lara’s mother, secret stepsister, twice removed cousin, and long lost uncle in the sequel, I will riot!!!

Well, of course they will introduce them. But all in different movies from the shared Tomb Raider Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
I wonder if Jump will make Vikander more cheeky like that "Leaked script" from Geneva back in 2016. That third draft + the bike action sequence that made the final film might have made the london section more enjoyable for gamers who didn't understand what they were watching (Watching character exposition and setup etc)
Wasn't the London version of that third draft just exposition as well? I haven't read it, but going by the spoiler thread it was also used to present who Lara was and why she went on a journey. And she was already quite cheeky in the final script, just not over the top, "action comedy" style of cheeky.

And what wasn't there to understand in the London? It clearly shows who Lara is at the beginning of the movie and sets the movie quite well:
- A young woman who is prone to dangerous physical activities (training MMA, working as a bike courier and participating in the Fox Hunt)
- Both book-smart and street smart (quoting Shakespeare and inventing things about her necklace on the fly based in actual Asian history, and her quick thinking on how to trick the "hunters")
- Quite snarky, especially when frustrated (her response to the coach and her sparring partner, to Ana, in a way to Bruce, her whole scene at the Pawn shop)
- Desperate for money (not being able to pay for her training, participating in the Fox Hunt for the money) even though she is rich (explained when Ana first appears)
- Doesn't want her inheritance because she hasn't move on from Richard's disappearance and accepting it would mean to accept that he probably is dead
- So desperate to know what happened to Richard that she even sells her only reminder of both her parents to go to the other side of the world, even though he basically tells her to burn everything and move on.

Honestly, even if I have a big problem with her motivation being Richard, as a set up the initial London segment explained everything quite well. Maybe it could have been a bit shorter, but it wasn't just exposition: the MMA training and the Fox Hunt provided some light action to keep things from getting too stopped. And most of that exposition came naturally from dialogue that made sense in the situation and from character actions. Probably the best planned segment of the movie, really IMO...

Last edited by Portugalraider; 19-06-19 at 00:40.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 13:14   #592
TrustyBow

^^ Very well said! I really like your observations.

It's so funny, because I expected the London scenes to be the worst part of the movie, but they actually ended up being one of my favorites. As far as exposition goes, this movie surprisingly does a good job of building Lara's character. It doesn't feel like they're in your face (Except for maybe the Shakespeare quote) about showing you her character. She just comes across as a naturally likable character. I really like that we saw her as someone that hung out on the streets. Imo, that was a really good way to show her independence.

I actually really wish that we could've seen more of Lara's London life. I'd love to see some of those deleted scenes with Sophie.

Also, I'm not sure if the draft I read was the third draft, but I really didn't like how they portrayed Lara, there. It seemed like they were trying too hard to make her seem like a girl next door type. She went to school but didn't show any interests, she went out with her friends to get wasted in bars, she had her card declined, etc. The Lara in the movie seemed to be a lot more responsible and at least sought out ways to deal with her financial struggles.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 13:24   #593
Ellioft

Someone still have the picture with Amy writting please ?
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 14:04   #594
GeekOfComedy

I loved the London scenes but you can’t deny the mass reaction online from gamers who thought it wasn’t needed because those story points are traditionally established for them during game play and they don’t identify that this was needed because it’s a movie.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 16:01   #595
Tonyrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Someone still have the picture with Amy writting please ?
It's been deleted from his Instagram. You really couldn't see anything anyway.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 17:55   #596
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
I loved the London scenes but you can’t deny the mass reaction online from gamers who thought it wasn’t needed because those story points are traditionally established for them during game play and they don’t identify that this was needed because it’s a movie.
I admit I didn't look for the reactions of gamers specifically, but that reaction is just... odd at best.

Like, I seriously cannot comprehend that logic. I've been trying to write it down here and I just cant... :/

Like, the movie has to establish who its main character is. I could understand if they wanted that "character establishment" occur already on Yamatai like the game does, but every story needs to set up its characters.

And if I am understanding what you're saying, gamers didn't want that because games do that during gameplay, and since this is a movie and it doesn't have gameplay, it doesn't need to establish its characters? How could anyone think that, it's just mindboggling... :/

Or is it because they already know who Lara Croft is and think we don't need to establish who she is? That doesn't make any sense either. Regardless of how famous the character already is, every story needs that "set up moment". Wanting shorter versions is one thing, but you can't just skip ahead, else the story suffers.

Again... I'm trying to see any sort of logic in that "gamer's consensus". But I just can't.
Old 19-06-19, 18:36   #597
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
It's been deleted from his Instagram. You really couldn't see anything anyway.
I know but it's for an illustration purpose ^^
Old 19-06-19, 18:44   #598
Grizzly Bear

The important thing for me is that this time they need to show Lara's own passion for archeology.

I'm afraid they could make Lara go against Trinity just to revenge her father.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 18:49   #599
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
The important thing for me is that this time they need to show Lara's own passion for archeology.

Nah he killed himself, and maybe he was a bad guy who know
Old 19-06-19, 18:56   #600
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post

Going against Trinity is basically a guarantee at this point, considering the Ana tease at the end of the first movie.

But I do hope that Lara has a more archaeological background now. Like, Lara decided to study archaeology to better understand what Trinity is doing, and ending falling in love for it that her true wish is just to get rid of Trinity to go explore the mysteries of the ancient world without a care would be really cool, IMO.