www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 06-12-19, 09:39   #28951
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Yes, both the songs used for the E3 trailer and launch trailer (was it the launch trailer, I don't remember) were great songs. But a great song doesn't excuse the weird editing and the awful graphics on the E3 trailer.

But we'll, at least better have the end product look better than on E3, and not the other way around like most games do nowadays
Old 06-12-19, 13:36   #28952
LateRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Omg yes! I actually loved every trailer. Even if E3 one was somehow disappointing in the way that they had poor graphical settings, the music made up for it!
I just wish that there had actually been themes of immortality in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It would have made Lara's reading of the poem a lot more poignant
Old 06-12-19, 14:05   #28953
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
I just wish that there had actually been themes of immortality in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It would have made Lara's reading of the poem a lot more poignant
Yeah, that's one of my biggest gripes. The fact that they didn't connect that plot better between the three games
Old 06-12-19, 14:29   #28954
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

It's a shame that SotTR doesn't really link to the immortality myth, as it could have been something better linking the trilogy besides Lara's origin and character growth.

But maybe we should see the link between the game's myths less about one overarching theme for the trilogy, and more as a natural development of Lara's research work.

As in: Lara was initially set to discover Yamatai. The finding of Yamatai led her to discover Himiko's Immortal Soul which leads Lara into finally going through her father's work, which was very much focused on that theme. This leads her to Richard's unfinished research on the Immortal Prophet, which leads Lara to Syria and Siberia. Due to Lara's starting to meddle in this specific mythology, she gets involved in Trinity's activities, and their relation becomes very much hostile. Learning for how long Trinity has been involved in her life, and how deep that involvement can actually get, she sets on shutting down as many Trinity cells as she can, which leads Amaru into concentrating Trinity's resources into the box-dagger myth, which he considers their most urgent plan. Which inevitable leads Lara into that whole mythology as well and to her discovering Paititi.

It might not be as thematically satisfying as if the three games' mythologies had one overall theme in common, but as a researcher, I can definitely see a logic on how Lara's work has been evolving in a actually logical way.
Old 06-12-19, 15:16   #28955
LateRaider
Professor

brilliant as always, portugalraider. that's definitely much better than how i thought
Old 06-12-19, 15:46   #28956
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
brilliant as always, portugalraider. that's definitely much better than how i thought
Thank you!

But to be honest, I also came with this analysis after reading your thread and your post about how this abandonment of the immortality theme bothered you. Because I do feel like it is a sort of missed opportunity, yet I wasn't bothered by it. I just tried to see why didn't it bothered me, and it was because it still can follow a sort of thematic sense, but in this case is not about a theme, but about how Lara's work has evolved
Old 06-12-19, 19:58   #28957
NYCL@R@
Professor

So I’ve been going back-and-forth between rise and shadow and I can honestly see the differences with the graphics. For me shadow is a bit of a downgrade but still looks pretty good. Rise on the other hand just looks way much more realistic.
Old 06-12-19, 21:07   #28958
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ View Post
So I’ve been going back-and-forth between rise and shadow and I can honestly see the differences with the graphics. For me shadow is a bit of a downgrade but still looks pretty good. Rise on the other hand just looks way much more realistic.
RotTR does have a more realistic artstyle, but technically the only thing it does better is character rendering and arguably lighting (though SotTR's is more consistent). SotTR excels in environment rendering and has a better post effect pipeline. It does go for a more stylistic direction, which while not necessarily worse, it makes things look a bit more unrealistic. Personally I prefer the look of SotTR, even when going back and forth the two games.
Old 06-12-19, 21:15   #28959
MissJodieG
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Yes, both the songs used for the E3 trailer and launch trailer (was it the launch trailer, I don't remember) were great songs. But a great song doesn't excuse the weird editing and the awful graphics on the E3 trailer.

But we'll, at least better have the end product look better than on E3, and not the other way around like most games do nowadays
Personally, I didn‘t mind the editing. I actually liked it for the most part. The unpolished graphics on the other hand were just bad and should have never been put out there.
MissJodieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 00:25   #28960
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Rise definatly had a edge in graphics in some areas. Like Wet Lara, it's like the effect does not exist in Shadow. Only time I've ever seen the wet effect on Lara is with the tribal skin. It's the only outfit where Lara actually appears wet.

Look at the shine on her jacket

Look her pants and see how the cling to her skin because they are wet.

Look at how Lara's hair actually sticks to her clothes until she wrings it out.

Like I said this is the only outfit in Shadow with proper wet effects. The shine looks very good here.