Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 06-04-24, 11:05   #21
janissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
Core was making their own, and undoubtedly more faithful, remake simultaneously with Crystal. Considering that Crystal had already rebooted the series with Legend, they had reason to compete with Core by releasing their own remake with their own DNA included in it. This is how (and why) we got Anniversary that is a part of the Legend-timeline, not an Anniversary that sticks to the original's story and Lara's bio. Crystal was being protective of their own vision of what TR should be, and their own status of being the gatekeepers of TR continuity.

It's as simple as taking an original idea and making it yours through alterations. But you also need to ensure that the original iteration of the idea is forgotten. That's the perfect reason for sabotaging projects that invite attention to what that original idea was all about.
I still think sabotage and theft are very unfair worlds to use in this case. Little empathy would suffice; you are making a game that's rights given to you and it's original developer, after the fiasco of unfinished game, makes their own remake to polish back their scratched pride, I would've had a problem with that too. Especially after the huge success of Legend - which saved the franchise from extinction. At the very least they did not intent to sue them over the Anniversary attempt. It failed on it's own.

When we use the world sabotage when it comes to Anniversary we have to wonder what might one feel about the Angel of Darkness - where a secondary playable character has introduced because of the general fatigue over Lara Croft games [among the crew] and mere reason to create such character was the mentality that Tomb Raider has far gone at that point. So they can bounce. Because practically there's nothing that motivates one fraction of the said crew to come back after conceptual phase of the project to say the working fraction was "off the rails" other than well... sabotage. Can we, I wonder, say that if Core Design itself stole it's own IP from it's fanbase and it's writers thinking of a much safer cash grab with The Angel of Darkness? But it was a trick question. No we can't - because this is a very negative perspective to observe these types of topics... or any topic in particular.

Last edited by janissary; 06-04-24 at 18:14. Reason: Typos
janissary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-24, 10:11   #22
dg1995

It was a remake and at that time remakes weren't really that popular or successful.

Resident Evil 1 got RE 1 remake on Gamecube in 2002 and that wasn't that successful.

Metal Gear Solid got Twin Snakes on Gamecybe in 2003 and that also wasn't successful.

Sid Mier pirates got a remake and that also wasn't that successful.

TR anniversary wasn't successful and after that they didn't make any TR 2 remake.(And based on rumors they cancelled a new TR 1 remake around 2019-2020)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-24, 16:25   #23
CroftCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
It was a remake and at that time remakes weren't really that popular or successful.

Resident Evil 1 got RE 1 remake on Gamecube in 2002 and that wasn't that successful.

Metal Gear Solid got Twin Snakes on Gamecybe in 2003 and that also wasn't successful.

Sid Mier pirates got a remake and that also wasn't that successful.

TR anniversary wasn't successful and after that they didn't make any TR 2 remake.(And based on rumors they cancelled a new TR 1 remake around 2019-2020)
I wouldn't say that's the reason. RE1 Remake still sold very well, selling over 1 million copies back in 2002, all other RE titles on PS2 around that time, Code Veronica, RE4, and RE: Outbreak all sold around the same amount, with RE4 doing huge numbers of course. So even thought most will blame the GameCube for it's lackluster performance, the RE1 Remake really did just fine, but I still think it's exclusivity to the GameCube and some franchise fatigue was more of contributing factor, not because it was a remake. There aren't many sales figures out there for Twin Snakes, all I can find is a figure of around 71k copies sold, but this is only accounting for Japan physical sales so it's hard to gauge how well it sold elsewhere. But in general Metal Gears sales are very random. The mainline titles do MILLIONS, but almost every other title that's released is maybe a couple hundred thousand. I think the GameCube certainly hindered this games performance but overall MGS has weird sales data so it's hard to say.

I think TRA just had an issue of marketing, but I really don't think it did that terribly, it sold over a million copies and topped the game sales charts back when it released. Also remember video game rentals were still a big thing back then, the Wiki even says it was in the top 5 most rented games for the month of June, the sales more than likely would've been higher had rentals not been a thing, but I still think it did well. I really wish we could get updated sales figures for the franchise, so much of this info is really old and outdated. Would be nice to get a current figure for each game.
CroftCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-24, 18:49   #24
dg1995

I know Shinji Mikami claimed that RE 1 remake wasn't successful enough and that was one of the main reasons that RE 4 became more action focused. So, it is confirmed.(And after that RE 0 came which also didn't meet their sales expectations)
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09...e-of-re-remake

Yeah. I also agree that marketing was also a main factor in sold copies TRA.

At that time PS3 and Xbox 360 were the hype and TR Anniversary was a PS2 game that was getting released in 2007.(1-2 years after the start of next gen consoles)
And next gen games were getting more advertisement I guess.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-24, 19:40   #25
CroftCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I know Shinji Mikami claimed that RE 1 remake wasn't successful enough and that was one of the main reasons that RE 4 became more action focused. So, it is confirmed.(And after that RE 0 came which also didn't meet their sales expectations)
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09...e-of-re-remake

Yeah. I also agree that marketing was also a main factor in sold copies TRA.

At that time PS3 and Xbox 360 were the hype and TR Anniversary was a PS2 game that was getting released in 2007.(1-2 years after the start of next gen consoles)
And next gen games were getting more advertisement I guess.
Right, that's true, they made RE4 more action focused because the games didn't sell enough, despite that not really having anything to do with why the games didn't sell, it's not that no one wanted horror games, it's that the series had not innovated enough and became stale by that point, but overall it still has nothing to do with RE1Remake being a remake, as you said, RE0 also did not meet expectations and that is not a remake. RE0 has it's own slew of issues that make it the most polarizing entry in the franchise next to RE6, plus it was exclusive to GameCube, so the majority of games never even got to play it. RE1Remake wasn't successful enough because they put all their eggs in the GameCube basket, and gated them behind the least popular console of that generation, then Capcom acted surprised when they didn't sell enough, blamed it on the horror, and moved into an action direction.

Capcom has a never ending cycle of repeating this same mistake, they've done it multiple times, but I digress. RE1 Remake lack of sales had nothing to do with remakes not being popular at the time, but everything to do with Capcom signing that exclusivity deal with Nintendo, look at how much the games sold once they were put on modern consoles back in 2016.

That's also a great point, Anniversary came out on the PS2 well after the PS3 and 360 were released, the TRA ports came out late 2007. That's why I really want updated sales figures. I think the game sold decently enough, but I'd be interested in knowing how many units it moved on the PS3/360 vs the PS2.
CroftCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:11   #26
KylieDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftCore View Post

That's also a great point, Anniversary came out on the PS2 well after the PS3 and 360 were released, the TRA ports came out late 2007. That's why I really want updated sales figures. I think the game sold decently enough, but I'd be interested in knowing how many units it moved on the PS3/360 vs the PS2.
Anniversary didn't get a PS3 port along with 360, didn't get it until the HD Collection in 2012 or so.

I think this is one reason why Anniversary did bad, the largest chunk of the fanbase was on PlayStation and many had already moved onto PS3, even those still just with PS2 probably saw the 360 port and thought there would be a PS3 one, so didn't buy for PS2.

The first of many exclusivity blunders that removed TR from it's biggest fan base.
KylieDog is online now   Reply With Quote