www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 08-04-21, 00:51   #11
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

I believe Survivor Lara is the last reboot lol. Don’t think there will be anymore.
Old 08-04-21, 00:54   #12
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Unified Lara seems like what they want to work with now for the future. I think the reboot is what gave them the right push they needed to pivot back into the old school vibes but with more ideas this time.
Old 08-04-21, 01:05   #13
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

We're going to see all sorts of reboots of everything in our lifetimes, sometimes fighting change is just a sign you're getting old.

It is too early for another reboot though, I think this unifying concept could open up possibilities for sequels to the classic games I would love to have the level design back, anyways. Tomb Raider does not need to be open world. Reboot that **** back. (Deboot?)
Old 08-04-21, 02:08   #14
Ellioft
Professor

This is the perfect exemple why I have changed plans on my next video I don't want to claim bull**** over something we don't even have a slight indication for now. It's too vague... also Rai and other have already said everything that needed to be said.
Old 08-04-21, 02:49   #15
lance6439
Legend

no developer cares about Classic Lara and it makes me so sick how she’s always mistreated

We need a hard reboot based solely on Classic Lara already!
Old 08-04-21, 04:50   #16
amiro1989
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
I still, to this day, have no idea why people are finding the whole "unifying timelines" thing so hard to grasp.

They're obviously not planning on including every adventure she's been on in the exact form that it happened in during the older games, Crystal aren't stupid and anyone with any sort of base-level common sense can see that such a move would create more holes in the plot than on a block of swiss cheese. Every adventure will have happened in some form. Therefore a reboot will not happen nor will it be necessary.
Then again, storylines are not their forte... So who knows what kind of rabbit they'll pull out the magician's hat this time.
Old 08-04-21, 05:41   #17
Lio123
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
no developer cares about Classic Lara and it makes me so sick how she’s always mistreated

We need a hard reboot based solely on Classic Lara already!
Call my crazy but didn't the developers of Shadow of the Tomb Raider admitted on camera that she wouldn't be going back to her old ways? now they say we're unifying the timelines, they don't know what to do anymore. I'm scared!
Old 08-04-21, 05:53   #18
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

It doesn't seem they will reboot the current storyline and universe, more like they keep it and add new plots and details from Classics and LAU. The animation series will possibly be the bridge.

How many times Lara will be rebooted ? I guess a lot but not now. For me it's pretty much a comic book character. She will change as much as Batman or Superman did.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 08-04-21 at 05:54.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 07:08   #19
E.Carnby
Archaeologist

I think the fourth game will be a turning point and it will decide whether to move on or whether it's over. Legend, Anniversary and Underwold were unsuccessful, sales numbers were small, the story suffered from a ridiculous plot called "Mommy Story" and Underwold brought an exclusive end to the Xbox 360.

Lara Croft and… was not very interested in the player, also a failed concept, I would say. I can't imagine a sequel.

LAU trilogy and Lara Croft.. these were all projects where five million or more copies were expected to be sold.

The only reboot of 2013 I would say was the real success for Crystal Dynamics. At the end of this game, we had Lara as a Tomb Raider with dual pistols.
When Rise started, it looked like Lara would have a backpack, but that didn't happen. She didn't take it from the car wreck before the explosion and everything went in a different direction. It is strange to have three games about the origin of Lara Croft, which include her 6 years of life (2013-2015-2018) and thus bring a different experience than the original / classic.

In Shadow, the developers ran out of ideas, I'd say. They bet on Paititi, and that wasn't good. I think the biggest problem with devs is the unnecessary effort to explain the meaning of the environment, so there are incredibly boring diaries everywhere. Check out Tomb Raider 3, how lively the jungle is. Birds, snakes, wild monkeys, tigers, carnivorous fish. And the danger in Shadow? Just a jaguar and carnivorous fish. I think it will be weird if rebooted Lara suddenly puts on shorts, has a braid and uses dual pistols. I wonder how the devs will do it if they plan to. If not, I think Tomb Raider will disappear. Perhaps the Crystal Dynamics Avengers project has brought fresh ideas and some will be included in the series. Personally, I don't need Tomb Raider to play as Assassin's Creed and other open word boring games. I'm very curious how the Tomb Raider brand will work as a game requiring millions of sales. In the Tomb Raider game, I would like to finally ride a motorcycle and visit the streets of a modern city. I'd like to stop camping and shoot rope arrows with a bow. It is already a big limitation for fresh fun and experience. They still have opportunities for the future, perhaps they will use them.

Last edited by E.Carnby; 08-04-21 at 07:11.
E.Carnby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 10:21   #20
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
I still, to this day, have no idea why people are finding the whole "unifying timelines" thing so hard to grasp.
Probably because those people have a huge lack in imagination. After all whenever gameplay changes are discussed, all they can think of are things that have already been done in the TR series instead of thinking of actually fresh ideas. And the same seems to apply to their understanding of "unifying the timelines": They can't imagine anything that hasn't already been done in the TR series, therefore the only thing that they can think of is "exact retellings of the original stories".

And if anyone feels offended by what I just wrote, then this probably applies to you and I'm not sorry for your lack of imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
It is too early for another reboot though, I think this unifying concept could open up possibilities for sequels to the classic games I would love to have the level design back, anyways. Tomb Raider does not need to be open world. Reboot that **** back. (Deboot?)
This! I still hope that the success of Doom Eternal and the Resident Evil 2 remake will have a huge impact on the AAA industry and show the creators of sequels to old games that 90s game design can work well in unison with just the right amount of modern elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
How many times Lara will be rebooted ? I guess a lot but not now. For me it's pretty much a comic book character. She will change as much as Batman or Superman did.
Exactly! Another comparison could be made to James Bond. I mean, in the past Lara got compared to Bond a lot, but when she gets rebooted just like 007 gets every decade or so, then the fans are surprised. You can't have a character in a story set in the present and use this exact same character forever while they also age in each new story. In this case reboots are inevitable once the character gets too old and their actions become unbelievable (so far that didn't happen in TR, but if the original timeline would still be active, then Lara would slowly become too old for the stuff that she's doing).