www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-01-19, 04:07   #21
Error96
Explorer

I would love to see some of the old characters get cameos in the game as a sort of Easter egg. Returning might be more difficult. I think any of Amanda, Larson, Pierre, Father Dunstan might work but I wouldn't want Natla redone again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
It would be cool for Sophia Leigh to return (voiced by Judith Gibbins!) There is a lot that can be done with a vain, wealthy psycho obsessed with immortality.. she could still be experimenting on people while seeking out an artifact.
Sophia Leigh is one of TR's most underrated characters and they wouldn't have to reason her behaviour except maybe to find out how she turned bad. I would be really excited to see a Sophia version in reboot as she would contrast so strongly with reboot Lara giving a great dynamic.
Old 24-01-19, 08:14   #22
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
Sophia Leigh is one of TR's most underrated characters and they wouldn't have to reason her behaviour except maybe to find out how she turned bad. I would be really excited to see a Sophia version in reboot as she would contrast so strongly with reboot Lara giving a great dynamic.
Sophia is strange. She's become iconic in the franchise despite only having very few lines and a short on screen appearance. Yet, everyone here knows who she is. I don't want her to return though.. as others said, only Winston is welcome to stay as he's become a part of Tomb Raider in general.
Old 24-01-19, 12:11   #23
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

The only Character I approve of is Von Croy.

Lara Croft at this point needs someone who can bring out the worst of her, make her more entertaining and skilled.

I don't see Roth did a good job here; he was more like a father to her; she cries as she speaks to him.

A character like Von Croy could be the key IMO to shake the grounds and helps in making this stupid girl a little more relatable
Old 24-01-19, 15:36   #24
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post

Lara Croft at this point needs someone who can bring out the worst of her, make her more entertaining and skilled.

I don't see Roth did a good job here; he was more like a father to her; she cries as she speaks to him.

A character like Von Croy could be the key IMO to shake the grounds and helps in making this stupid girl a little more relatable
It'd be hard to introduce Von Croy since Roth took his place pretty much, which is a shame, Von Croy's death in AOD had me rooting for Lara, Roth's death made me glad I didn't have to listen to him anymore.

Alex was sorta like Zip, if Zip wasn't funny and didn't actually do anything.

Whitman was Alistair, but just doing nothing aside from prolonging the plot.

Last edited by Samz; 24-01-19 at 15:38.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-19, 21:55   #25
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I'd like a re-imagined Von Croy but Natla we've seen enough I think.

Kurtis... I'm neither bothered or unbothered but I don't want him in the same game as Von Croy.

I don't feel Roth took Von Croy's place. Von Croy wasn't a surrogate father figure for Lara (or wasn't to me), he was a cantankerous, teacher / adversary from whom Lara learned a lot and developed affection for. I especially liked that he was cynical about strange powers and spooky mythologies ("Hocus Pocus" as he said) and that he had a huge ego about his abilities and renown.

Of course if they bring him back, it would make sense for Lara to be introduced to him differently from going on digs with him as a teenager, that bit is a bit like Roth, but it's easily overcome.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 24-01-19 at 21:56.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-19, 22:14   #26
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I'd like a re-imagined Von Croy but Natla we've seen enough I think.

Kurtis... I'm neither bothered or unbothered but I don't want him in the same game as Von Croy.

I don't feel Roth took Von Croy's place. Von Croy wasn't a surrogate father figure for Lara (or wasn't to me), he was a cantankerous, teacher / adversary from whom Lara learned a lot and developed affection for. I especially liked that he was cynical about strange powers and spooky mythologies ("Hocus Pocus" as he said) and that he had a huge ego about his abilities and renown.

Of course if they bring him back, it would make sense for Lara to be introduced to him differently from going on digs with him as a teenager, that bit is a bit like Roth, but it's easily overcome.
I guess, but Part of Von Croy's appeal to me was how he was a kinda (But not involved in every part of her life) mentor, yet they also hated each other in a sense, yet not enough for him to kill her and not enough for her to brush off his death.

It was never fleshed out well enough admittingly.(like all character traits in the Core-era.)

The trouble is I can't really see any classic Core characters "fitting" into the reboot, Zip's too comedic even in LAU, Larson and Pierre are too comical and Lara would have remorselessly killed them quickly unless the game contrived a way to not have that happen, Natla and her Atlanteans would have just been re-skinned Solarri like all the other "SUPERNATURAL" enemies for most of the reboot and characters like Von Croy and Charles Kane would have been mentioned by now for them to not come out of nowhere and the reboot simply takes itself too unironically seriously despite how absurd it is for most of them to fit.

Not even Classic Lara would really be able to fit, even in AOD where she was under extreme stress she still didn't take things deadly seriously all the time, more so if you count cut one-liners that were intended to be in the game. (Like calling the Bio-Research Mutants "Broccoli with attitude.")

Last edited by Samz; 24-01-19 at 22:23.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 05:16   #27
Grimaldi
Professor

Last edited by Grimaldi; 25-01-19 at 13:45. Reason: Rambling.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 22:16   #28
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post

I agree a thousand percent with this.

Roth was just another Dad to Lara and brought out her little girl side, whereas Von Croy brought a lot of competitive spunk out of Lara. Much prefer that.

Roth was swell and all, but how Lara acted around him made me applaud when he died.