Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 19-06-19, 18:44   #1
Chamayoo

Default Rate the levels of Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Every saturday a poll is open to rate two levels from the game. 1/10 to 10/10. I will made a list after the results from everyone and also include them in the big list of the entire franchise (made last year, if you miss it).

I will give you the link to the first poll next saturday : June 22nd.
The last poll will be open July 27th
I will wait one month to let you vote a bit more and reveal the results. It will be August 27th.

We'll use the official level constitution :

Level 1. Cozumel
Level 2. Peruvian Jungle
Level 3. Lara's Dream
Level 4. Kuwaq Yaku
Level 5. Trial of the Eagle
Level 6. The Hidden City (Paititi)
Level 7. Belly of the Serpent
Level 8. Mountain Temple
Level 9. Cenote
Level 10. Riverbed / Porvenir Oil Fields
Level 11. Mission of San Juan
Level 12. City of the Serpent

Poll n°1 - Cozumel and Peruvian Jungle >> VOTE <<
Poll n°2 - Lara's Dream & and Kuwaq Yaku >> VOTE <<
Poll n°3 - Trial of the Eagle & Hidden City >> VOTE <<
Poll n°4 - Belly of the Serpent & Mountain Temple >> VOTE <<

A rule to deal with :
It is forbiden to put abusive ratings. For instance, I will not accept 3 or more successive 1/10 or 10/10. The fun is to rate the levels with honesty, not to brings the game down or up. If really I witness this, I need an explanation or it will not be count in the final results.

You are perfectly allowed to share your ratings and why not short reviews for each levels. However the results will be secret until the reveal.

Last edited by tlr online; 14-07-19 at 18:11. Reason: Restored links.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 18:57   #2
MissJodieG

Great idea! Personally, I‘d prefer the official constitution.
MissJodieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 19:13   #3
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodieG View Post
Great idea! Personally, I‘d prefer the official constitution.
Thanks ! Ok I take note.
Old 19-06-19, 20:32   #4
Robwood

The official level constitution :

Level 1. Cozumel (1/10)
Level 2. Peruvian Jungle (7/10)
Level 3. Lara's Dream (7/10)
Level 4. Kuwaq Yaku (7/10)
Level 5. Trial of the Eagle (9/10)
Level 6. The Hidden City (Paititi) (4/10)
Level 7. Belly of the Serpent (5/10)
Level 8. Mountain Temple (6/10)
Level 9. Cenote (6/10)
Level 10. Riverbed / Porvenir Oil Fields (4/10)
Level 11. Mission of San Juan (9/10)
Level 12. City of the Serpent (7/10)

Cozumel looks pretty, but it's the epitome of a walking simulator. Also, despite this game having a heavier emphasis on puzzles, we're not allowed to solve the first one (the constellation puzzle that reveals the dagger).

Peruvian Jungle would be rated higher if it didn't have that "wait to get the ax before you can go everywhere" nonsense.

Lara's Dream would be rated higher if it didn't come completely out of nowhere and added something new to the Lord Richard narrative instead of telling us things we already knew. Otherwise, as a stand alone set piece, it's a wonderful romp through Lara's innocence.

Kuwaq Yaku is a wonderful little town that I enjoy exploring. It gains a point for its reference to Dr. Whitman (fan service done right!) but loses points due to the game taking over control in order to point people out in mandatory and unskippable cut scenes (the waitress and that one mission giver). Yes, we can go around them, but we shouldn't have to; they can have an icon over their head for talking like everyone else.

Trial of the Eagle (and the rest) are wonderful set pieces. Despite not having any worthwhile puzzles in them, traversal is pleasant. A half point is lost due to the unnecessary slow bit in the Spider's crouch tunnel and not being able to jump down to the rope bridge at the beginning of the Eagle Trial.

Paititi was bloated before the DLC and became over bloated afterward. The empty calories are obvious and abundant. I don't hate the area like most, but it has worn out its welcome by now. It gains a point, however, due to the fun I'm able to have in the jaguar den (I can't remember how to spell nahual, or I would've used that word). Three points are lost, unfortunately, due to the outfit restriction.

Belly of the Serpent had an excellent atmosphere and a nice puzzle for obtaining the silver key. It loses most of its enjoyment factor, though, by having Serrilock Holmes point everything out...and I mean everything.

Mountain Temple was good enough, but nothing special.

Cenote would rank higher if it hadn't attempted to be scary, which never works, and didn't cover up the poor puzzle configuration with combat. As it stands, it's an otherwise OK area to look at. The only saving grace are its visuals with the two doors. Had the cut scene areas been explorable, then it would have also ranked higher due to that.

Riverbed / Porvenir Oil Fields have great stealth sections that allow you, in most places, to avoid combat entirely, making traversal a little quicker. Two points are lost for Lara being so stupid that she couldn't see through Rourke's deception about Jonah being dead (among other stupidities with the walkie talkies in general) and two additional points are lost for having the so-called badass moment come out of nowhere and be confusing upon first viewing due to having improper set up.

St. John is a wonderful area to explore. I love the side characters (despite the lack of acting chops all of the side characters in this game have in general). One point is lost due to being another walking simulator (especially in the church), one point is lost since the "Yeah!" kids won't shut up (and for their voices being assigned to sound effects volume instead of dialogue volume, which I had to find out the hard way), one point is lost due to the jaguar that can't figure out how to show up again, and three points are lost due to not being able to climb anything despite all of the verticality the area offers. Three points are gained due to St. John being the only area that I can go out of bounds in as well as turn Lara invisible in. I've had great pleasure doing both on my PS4, so if I can do it, I know others can, too!

City of the Serpent makes for a good finale, but it loses a point by giving Trinity's council a rushed death. A point is also lost due to not being able to kill Roarke ourselves (and the game itself loses credit for not making him memorable and thus having us want to kill him ourselves). A point is lost due to not being able to explore the beginning part where Lara parts ways with the Patitians.

Last edited by Robwood; 21-06-19 at 13:17.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 21:26   #5
mandylane

great thread.

i checked out recently the wiki on shadow and everything is in mexico and peru mostly.

i like the cozumel caves and peruvian jungle would to see alot of this in next game hopefully.
mandylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 21:27   #6
Chamayoo

Thanks for your reply !

Belly of the Serpent :
This is the part where all is dark with a lot of corpses and the puzzle with the blood and the oil. Lara was looking after the silver serpent.
https://youtu.be/WyphuHpbMP8

Mountain Temple :
The section you have to cross to reach the Cenote. You're inside the mountain infiltrating Kulkulkan's goons.
https://youtu.be/Myqqf5GRkYE
Old 19-06-19, 22:43   #7
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandylane View Post
great thread.

i checked out recently the wiki on shadow and everything is in mexico and peru mostly.

i like the cozumel caves and peruvian jungle would to see alot of this in next game hopefully.
You needed to check the “wiki” for Shadow in order to come to a conclusion as to where the entirety of the game is set...?

You didn’t pick up on that by just... playing the game?

Anyway.

I actually like the areas of the game in the order they’re shown.

My favorite is the claustrophobic Cozumel caves.
Then second to that is the dark, atmospheric jungle.
Then after that is the flash back level.
Then Paititi.

And you get the idea lol
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 22:45   #8
Yuna´s Wish

I love the idea, Chamayoo!

I prefer the personal level constitution.

It is more balanced and it's a more clear way to show Shadow's content.

E.g.: the official constitution jumps from Kuwaq Yaku to Trial of the Eagle. But that would mean Kuwaq Yaku is composed of:
- the hub;
- the Temple of the Living path (my favourite section of the game);
- the first Trials before the Trial of the Eagle.
It's a lot of -very different- content under the label of "Kuwaq Yaku".
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 22:48   #9
charmedangelin

Maybe Level 1 was good?

Everything else after was, well, a challenge to put it in polite terms.

charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 22:59   #10
mandylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
You needed to check the “wiki” for Shadow in order to come to a conclusion as to where the entirety of the game is set...?

You didn’t pick up on that by just... playing the game?

Anyway.

I actually like the areas of the game in the order they’re shown.

My favorite is the claustrophobic Cozumel caves.
Then second to that is the dark, atmospheric jungle.
Then after that is the flash back level.
Then Paititi.

And you get the idea lol
sometimes talking to you feels like you are anoyyed
mandylane is offline   Reply With Quote