Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 14-06-19, 14:03   #31
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
It worked because they stripped the first Reboot game back so much it barely resembles TR. So it might as well have been a new IP. That's my point.
Would it make it any difference to you?

Quote:
Well since the majority of comments have been regarding the absence of Hawkeye, I can say it's not off to a good start.
Didn't they say they'd be adding more heroes in the future?
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 14:06   #32
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Well for me they kinda have because she's still called "Lara Croft", and their "vision" was so poorly planned it's been a mess. They should have just made a new character.
In all fairness, it could have been a lot worse. Like Disney's Star Wars films who are blatantly insulting the George Lucas trilogy and the characters in it. TR's reboot just ignores the old games...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 14:12   #33
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
TR's reboot just ignores the old games...
Exactly. I'd understand frustrations if, like I said my posts, they've picked up on classic Lara and changed her instead. At least they had the decency of leaving her untouched in her prime form, and created a separate new version instead. I think both parties win.

Just as I hope once they're done with reboot Lara, they leave her alone, and create a new version, instead of making a personality transplant and change her to back to the monotone type of character of the past

Last edited by Vaskito; 14-06-19 at 14:16.
Old 14-06-19, 14:13   #34
larafan25

If Crystal Dynamics (or whoever) had an appreciation for Tomb Raider then we would not be here talking about this. There is nothing to be confused about. Know your history I guess. But of course many here do not have an appreciation for Tomb Raider, and so, have not noticed it’s absence. Not that we don’t want double guns for the ponytail girl to hold.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 14:15   #35
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Would it make it any difference to you?
Yes. Let's say the franchise was called "Survivor". It had the same basic story as TR2013, but had it's own female character, I'd be a lot less bothered.

Quote:
Didn't they say they'd be adding more heroes in the future?
I dunno. But this decision has already made a bad impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
In all fairness, it could have been a lot worse. Like Disney's Star Wars films who are blatantly insulting the George Lucas trilogy and the characters in it. TR's reboot just ignores the old games...
I haven't watched those so I can't really judge. But yes it could be worse, but it also could be a lot better, and that's what I want Tomb Raider to be. Better.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 14:18   #36
Vaskito

Quote:
Yes. Let's say the franchise was called "Survivor". It had the same basic story as TR2013, but had it's own female character, I'd be a lot less bothered.
Again, doing it would have the exact same result for you. Classic TR and Classic Lara wouldn't come back anyway
Old 14-06-19, 14:22   #37
Amunet

Quote:
I completely agree with you. The names "Lara Croft" and "Tomb Raider" come with certain expectations no matter how much they insist on "forget everything you know". I would certainly be able to enjoy the Reboot character a lot more if she wasn't called Lara Croft.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 14:24   #38
Legends

I've also seen the leaked gameplay and Black Widow basically looks like the LAU move-set with an upgrade. It's like they took the Legend engine and re-worked it to fit the Avengers, what the hell Crystal? I hope Square Enix gives Tomb Raider to competent people next time. Absolutely sick of Crystal after seeing this.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 14:24   #39
Tombraider95

Quote:
Again, doing it would have the exact same result for you. Classic TR and Classic Lara wouldn't come back anyway
If CD had made a new IP, by now Tomb Raider could be in someone else's hands. That could have happened.

I don't necessarily want Classic TR and Classic Lara back how you imagine it. Reboot just seems the extreme opposite for me. I want a happy medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I completely agree with you. The names "Lara Croft" and "Tomb Raider" come with certain expectations no matter how much they insist on "forget everything you know". I would certainly be able to enjoy the Reboot character a lot more if she wasn't called Lara Croft.

Last edited by Tombraider95; 14-06-19 at 14:25.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 14:28   #40
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
You could also enjoy her a lot more if you accepted that she's a new different version of Lara Croft, like there were in the past, and like there will be in the future.

"Certain Expectations" are down to each individual. I didn't have those expectations when I was told it would be a complete reboot. As a long fan of the Tomb Raider, I enjoyed and aproved the changes and new take, Which one of us is right in this instance?

Quote:
If CD had made a new IP, by now Tomb Raider could be in someone else's hands. That could have happened.
No it could not. TR was put in CDs hands for a reason - it stopped working with its old formula, and stopped being profitable. Their first attempt kept it pretty familiar, in a modernized way, and it also didn't work. They did something more drastic then, and it did work.
Turning the reboot into a new IP would only result in the TR brand being shelved, nothing else.

Last edited by Vaskito; 14-06-19 at 14:31.