Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 20-02-20, 08:39   #15941
Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I hope they don't make the movie too female centric, by the way. Lara, Anna and another female character? Cool, but let's add some guys in there, otherwise I can already see the dudebros boycotting this.
Yeah you think WB would have learned from birds of prey. As long as there's no love interest I'll be happy regardless of gender.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 08:39   #15942
PinkyPromise

Charlie's Angeles and Birds of Prey show that forced feminism is a bomb at the box office.

They should focus on making a good adventure movie ... TR is already a feminist: if they build a good character around Lara.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 08:56   #15943
Portugalraider

Can I just say that I find so, but so weird that the general narrative is that Birds of Prey is bombing? It's a mid-high tear movie that made almost twice its budget in over two weekends, a big chunk of that movie from the domestic market, where studios make their most money, and has already made 63M domestically, more than the entire domestic run of Tomb Raider, for example. The movie is doing fine! Not great, but fine...
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 09:12   #15944
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Can I just say that I find so, but so weird that the general narrative is that Birds of Prey is bombing? It's a mid-high tear movie that made almost twice its budget in over two weekends, a big chunk of that movie from the domestic market, where studios make their most money, and has already made 63M domestically, more than the entire domestic run of Tomb Raider, for example. The movie is doing fine! Not great, but fine...
The movie is not a failure, it is a disappointment.

WB's forecasts of TR were low. WB's forecasts of BoP were high.They expected 60M of opening and the movie made half. BoP is a superhero movie, with a very popular character, with a lot of marketing ...

Then the movie misunderstands feminism (like Charlie's Angels) where all the women are good and clever and all the men who appear in the movie dumb and bad.

One thing I liked about TR2018 is that they built Lara well and they made an Asian character something that was not a stereotype but without the need to force it.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 20-02-20 at 09:13.
Old 20-02-20, 09:15   #15945
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
The movie is not a failure, it is a disappointment.

WB's forecasts of TR were low. WB's forecasts of BoP were high.They expected 60M of opening and the movie made half. BoP is a superhero movie, with a very popular character, with a lot of marketing ...

Then the movie misunderstands feminism (like Charlie's Angels) where all the women are good and clever and all the men who appear in the movie dumb and bad.
You haven't seen the movie because all character aren't perfect or good in BOP.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 10:03   #15946
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
You haven't seen the movie because all character aren't perfect or good in BOP.
Yes, I've seen the movie!

Yes, the huntress, canary, Harley are not perfect ... but finally they do the right thing. But the men in the movie are dumb, bad or corrupt (in the station they are all bad except Rene, of course)

Is any male character in the movie a good person? think about it! even Harley's old friend is a traitor hahaha It is a movie that misunderstands feminism. Like Charlie's Angeles movie.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 20-02-20 at 10:05.
Old 20-02-20, 12:41   #15947
Ellioft

Quote:

Yes, the huntress, canary, Harley are not perfect ... but finally they do the right thing. But the men in the movie are dumb, bad or corrupt (in the station they are all bad except Rene, of course)

Is any male character in the movie a good person? think about it! even Harley's old friend is a traitor hahaha It is a movie that misunderstands feminism. Like Charlie's Angeles movie.
It's not a feminist movie if I recall also there's good mens like the men who have saved Black Canary then trained her in his family wich was made of mens.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 12:54   #15948
Mani_Man

Quote:

How someone can claim to have seen the movie and still think there is some feminist agenda or so...is really beyond me.
Are males so tiny that the slightest bit is "feminism bargh" to them...really?

The men in the movie are as they are depicted in most male lead movies, the only and literally only difference is that the "heroes" are women.
Which of course is "argh, feminism...forcing things" because fragile egos and so on.

We live in 2020 and it gets more and more embarrassing how easily you can throw off alpha males.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 15:09   #15949
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
How someone can claim to have seen the movie and still think there is some feminist agenda or so...is really beyond me.
Are males so tiny that the slightest bit is "feminism bargh" to them...really?

The men in the movie are as they are depicted in most male lead movies, the only and literally only difference is that the "heroes" are women.
Which of course is "argh, feminism...forcing things" because fragile egos and so on.

We live in 2020 and it gets more and more embarrassing how easily you can throw off alpha males.
I am a VERY feminist person. Trust me. Simply Charlie's Angels and Birds of Prey have not done well. You can be satisfied with the movie but I see something very forced in it.
Old 21-02-20, 00:02   #15950
Tonyrobinson

MGM just announced Tom Harper to direct one of their new projects so it seems things are still going ahead as normal for now, perhaps there's nothing to worry about with the change at all if they're still developing new films.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote