Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 15-02-15, 21:39   #501
Kirishima

This is more off topic, so I apologize in advance.

I haven't said anything about this here since it really doesn't matter. For those who are trying out the latest ykhwong dosbox builds, kekko's glide emulator has been updated and actually works now with Tomb Raider and opengl. It's already included in the ykhwong build so you don't have to go looking for it, and you don't have to uninstall nglide either.

If your card does not support opengl, don't bother with this.

In dosbox config, under PCI set "voodoo=opengl"(emu setting is still SLOW). Under GLIDE set "glide=emu".

The emulator is not going to please everyone(or anyone, maybe). It's a very "to the point" emulator, you won't be playing Tomb Raider at anything higher than 640x480 since the game didn't support it. The mipmapping and anti-aliasing work probably the same as the original hardware(with all the flaws) and the water has that brown color to it. There are also problems with it, Lara's shadow is missing.

I'd add pictures, but my computer thinks the desktop is more interesting than anything I had in mind.

EDIT: I totally forgot about this, change the output from Direct3d to opengl under SDL(the very first options). If you don't do this, you will have problems.

To change back to using any glide wrapper: set glide=true and output=direct3d. The voodoo settings under pci only apply if glide=emu.

Last edited by Kirishima; 16-02-15 at 00:10.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-15, 22:25   #502
Dustie

Interesting! I will check it out.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-15, 23:16   #503
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
I'm curious
since I have no 20something inch display to try
have you ever customized scaler usage
you know in \tombraider\*.conf
Code:
[render]
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
#           Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,hq2x,hq3x,
#                         2xsai,super2xsai,supereagle,advinterp2x,advinterp3x,
#                         tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.
#           If forced is appended (like scaler=hq2x forced), the scaler will be used
#           even if the result might not be desired.
scaler=normal2x
advmame3x, superagle... none: if so what was the outcome? lagging? blurryawful ugly?

I've enjoyed them pretty much with lots of ScummVM things, but here?
If used together with nGlide, maybe it will affect only 2D stuff such as fonts/hud? I can't check it out at the moment since I'm not in my hometown yet.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 13:19   #504
Dustie

I'm using nGlide and it does apply those filters, if I'm not mistaken. I use none though, since I don't want to cripple my framerate (which is fine, but still) or cause crashes...
Old 16-02-15, 15:46   #505
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I use none though, since I don't want to cripple my framerate
indeed they might lower the fps figure, I'm afraid too and here's why I wouldn't set any as a rendering default
about the same concern goes for Kekko's 3dfx voodoo chip emulation Kirishima wrote about

otoh performance usually wouldn't be such a problem w/ScummVM games, then again that's an interpreter so quite lighter than Dosbox for the cpu to handle.

Last edited by gidierre; 16-02-15 at 15:50.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 21:03   #506
Kirishima

Quote:
indeed they might lower the fps figure, I'm afraid too and here's why I wouldn't set any as a rendering default
about the same concern goes for Kekko's 3dfx voodoo chip emulation Kirishima wrote about

otoh performance usually wouldn't be such a problem w/ScummVM games, then again that's an interpreter so quite lighter than Dosbox for the cpu to handle.
Actually, I got decent speeds with Kekko's emulator, only for opengl settings with anti aliasing disabled(looked terrible anyway). It only slowed down for areas like the cistern. Whenever I try using scalers, there appears to be no noticeable difference between any of them. Must be the ykhwong build's fault or the output in use.

Last edited by Kirishima; 16-02-15 at 21:12.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 23:45   #507
ToMbRaIdErxFtW

Ok im having a little issue here. Basically, changing resolution and gamma work fine but I can't seem to make my game have borders (no stretch).the area asking if I would like to stretch to display or use borders does not work. Ive tried changing my resolution to a 4:3 resolution but that hasn't worked. how do I get it to use borders?
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-15, 00:10   #508
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
Ok im having a little issue here. Basically, changing resolution and gamma work fine but I can't seem to make my game have borders (no stretch).the area asking if I would like to stretch to display or use borders does not work. Ive tried changing my resolution to a 4:3 resolution but that hasn't worked. how do I get it to use borders?
you mean pillarboxed as shown eg in screens from post #496 by Famicon

I don't know what your display native resolution is, anyway as I wrote here http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=408
if you're using a 16:9 display and nGlide configurator, screen res & aspect ratio ie 4:3 have to be adjusted
other than that or for instance not using nGlide, but the glide patch instead
there's always the chance to go pillarboxed customizing the gfx driver properties usually via control panel so the aspect ratio is constant
when this is done (how, it depends on the gfx card brand and software) if a multiple of 4:3 is picked the game display must end up non-stretched and pillarboxed.

HTH or else you'll have to show your specs such as resolution, gfx card, glide wrapper/installer used and so on.

Last edited by gidierre; 17-02-15 at 00:18.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-15, 22:15   #509
ToMbRaIdErxFtW

Quote:
you mean pillarboxed as shown eg in screens from post #496 by Famicon

I don't know what your display native resolution is, anyway as I wrote here http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=408
if you're using a 16:9 display and nGlide configurator, screen res & aspect ratio ie 4:3 have to be adjusted
other than that or for instance not using nGlide, but the glide patch instead
there's always the chance to go pillarboxed customizing the gfx driver properties usually via control panel so the aspect ratio is constant
when this is done (how, it depends on the gfx card brand and software) if a multiple of 4:3 is picked the game display must end up non-stretched and pillarboxed.

HTH or else you'll have to show your specs such as resolution, gfx card, glide wrapper/installer used and so on.
Well I have tried setting my nglide resolution to 640x480 just to see if that would work. It still stretches it though even though I have it set to 4:3 in the options on nglide.

My moniters native resolution is 1920x1080
My graphics card is the Asus GTX 770
My glide wrapper is Nglide which came preinstalled with version 1.7.2.

Thanks for your help
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-15, 22:34   #510
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
Well I have tried setting my nglide resolution to 640x480 just to see if that would work. It still stretches it though even though I have it set to 4:3 in the options on nglide.

My moniters native resolution is 1920x1080
My graphics card is the Asus GTX 770
My glide wrapper is Nglide which came preinstalled with version 1.7.2.

Thanks for your help
What about your graphics card settings panel, if you have one? Your graphics card might be set to force stretching for anything that attempts to display in a 4:3 ratio. Can you run other games (like other Tomb Raiders) in 4:3 with pillarboxing and without stretching?

Other than that, maybe your monitor is stretching the image?