Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 29-07-19, 14:32   #11
wmcintosh
Inactive

Only 2.

Angel of Darkness
Chronicles

Never played much of AoD (movement sucked and buggy), never played games beyond AoD.
wmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 14:34   #12
LaraCablara

1. Angel of Darkness: Hot mess
2. Tomb Raider Chronicles: Not a mess but an obvious cash in.
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Genuinely a good game but I can’t remember a single thing about it.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 14:38   #13
ESCachuli

3) TR Legend. I was almost gonna say Underworld, but having played both recently, Legend was way worse. Too easy, too linear, feels more like a movie game than a real game. It also started the "daddy issues" and white ledges trend in the games.

2) TR 2013. Bow and arrow, no puzzles, no real platforming, white ledges... At least have some nice moments and could be forgiven if it wasnt because of...

1) Rise of the Tomb Raider. The worst TR game ever. It starts kicking classic fans in the balls by both ditching the dual pistols (when TR2013 build them up by being Lara's mentor's guns and by using them at the end of the game) and by creating the fantastic Syria scenario but being only a 5 minutes decoration. Still no platforming, white ledges, lots of inconsistencies and daddy issues at their worst, and the game is just a carbon copy of TR2013 with a snowy skin. I just hate it. The hatred has been growing in me after finishing it, to be honest, but I never actually enjoyed it for what it was. I was always expecting it to be better and then... it ended.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 14:48   #14
Grimaldi

In no particular order:

Angel of Darkness for a few reasons. I think Core took the new direction too seriously, resulting in the brooding, gothic aesthetic becoming monotonous after awhile, lacking in the whimsical grandeur and colour of the first 5 games.

I wasn’t a fan of Lara’s new personality which just felt forced and grating, even out of character. The decision to strip her of her strength to be regained through RPG elements, effectively making her harder to control than she was in 1996, for the next leap in consoles is a bit counterproductive, even if it had been properly implemented. I think they should have focused on fluidity instead, like Legend. Just wasn’t a fan of how Lara was handled in general.

Not big on the story either. Very little of it takes us to tombs, and there’s a myriad of side characters I just don’t care far. Ultimately, it doesn’t feel like the right tone for classic TR.

There’s definitely talent in AoD, but it’s not what I’d want for TR.

TR3 is a strange beast. It’s beautiful, taking us back more into tombs than its predecessor, but is designed like Core suddenly decided they hated the player. I think the level design is excessively obtuse and has a lot of cheap “gotcha” traps and deaths that, with the PS1 save system, were a nightmare.

TR2 is technically fine, but filled to the brim with combat that isn’t fun even the first time you do it, let alone the hundreds of times you’ll be side-jumping to avoid yet another mafia sniper. The locations are pretty boring as well: modern, dank, bland, industrial, and with some colour palettes that get hard on the eyes (looking at the blue and orange of the Maria Doria).
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 14:49   #15
laracroftswest

1. Underworld - Blegh.
2. Chronicles - Decent game and pretty fun to play, just not that exciting.
3. Last Revelation - I enjoy a majority of this game honestly, at least up until Cairo. After that it just seems to drudge on.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 14:51   #16
Vaskito

No special order, but:

Tomb Raider Chronicles - absolutely uninspired

Tomb Raider AoD - Blergh

Tomb Raider II - I can't get the mass appeal it has, at all
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 15:11   #17
Hazelphoenix

ROTTR: this one’s actually the worst for me, even worse than TR2013. I just found it too bland and got bored real fast. It was a chore to go through, except for Baba Yaga and a few challenge tombs/The Orrery. I don’t like the art style, the locations, Lara’s characterization , the plot, the side characters, the main villain... nothing impressed me.

TR2013: this one’s actually good when you look at it as its own separate thing, it has some strong points and quite a few memorable moments and all in all, it’s a nice action-adventure game. As a game part of the Tomb Raider franchise though it just doesn’t cut it for me. Too many elements are either outright missing or heavily twisted. In addition to that, I don’t think they a great job with Lara’s portrayal. I understand what they were aiming for, but ultimately the result wasn’t satisfying enough for me (this can also be applied to the reboot trilogy in general). I don’t want to say that it’s objectively poorly written, just that the narrative aspect doesn’t seem to be on par with other triple A games out there and much more could’ve been done with a blank slate.

Between TRA and TRU the struggle is real cause they both have strengths/weaknesses in different fields and I appreciated some aspects of one game that the other one did way worse, and vice-versa. Ultimately, I have to go with Underworld, if anything because it was the biggest letdown of this franchise. After Legend, I had a lot of expectations for its sequel, and sadly it turned out to be extremely underwhelming. There are some levels that stand out, like Thailand, Mediterranean Sea and Mexico, but save for them it was a hot mess. I tend to heavily criticize TRA for butchering some of the original TR1 levels and adding unnecessary parental drama to the plot, but at the very least it was complete, and a good game if I completely forget that it’s supposed to be a faithful remake.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 15:21   #18
Portugalraider

In order from least favourite to less least favourite. But I have to notice that I don't actually dislike any of the games. My bottom one is just indifferent for me, and I do enjoy the other two.

That being said:

1. Tomb Raider Chronicles: everything in this game is just meh, with the exception being Ireland. Again, it's not that I dislike it, it just feels completely bland and unnecessary, all previous games have done what this game did, and better.

2. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness: the great concept and the "what could have been" does make me enjoy this game, but a good concept does not make a good game. Also the excellent music, and I love Goth Lara. A well designed, polished game with good controls does, and oh boy does this game fail in all this.

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation: definitely a good game, but I feel this would have been much better a generation later. I feel that being in the PS1 made its hub system not work as well as it should, because of some questionable loading placement, and it hindered my enjoyment of it. Still, a great game that I love, just not as much as all other.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 15:28   #19
TrustyBow

TR2 - The fact that this game is so praised is one of the worlds great mysteries. Theirs barely any room to breathe, with all the enemies. The greater focus on action really takes away from the enjoyment of exploring an area to its fullest. I actually find this to be possibly the hardest classic title. Not hard in a fun way though, like in 3.

Underworld - There was just too much going on with this games story and that kind of had an impact on how the game was played. It has its moments but overall the bad outweighs the good.

Chronicles - Not a bad game really. I think every title above Chronicles on my ranking list would have more good than bad things. Chronicles is pretty much in the middle. It has just as many good levels, as bad levels.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 15:33   #20
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Bottom 3, best to worst:

1. AOD - Too dramatic and too far of a shift from what Tomb Raider was originally about. Not enough exploration, too story focused.

2. TR2013 - Great action game, but too far of a departure from Tomb Raider. Also very uncomfortable with how it feels like excessive torture of Lara while she moans so much.

3. Legend - The initial change in Lara's backstory that took away her agency and rebelliousness, feels like a kid friendly version of Tomb Raider, extremely easy and linear action game that's beautiful and flashy with no depth

Last edited by Melonie Tomb Raider; 29-07-19 at 15:41.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote