Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-11-18, 09:12   #1
Mr GaGa

Default More Combat

There I said it, we need more combat. I was bored to tears in Shadow. I just finished the forge, got a shiny new gun but there was absolutely no combat. I mean do people actually find running around aimlessly fun? What's the point in Lara having dual pistols next game if she never has enemies to use them on.

I for one love combat scenarios, they feel great, fun and is a nice way to wake gamers up after a long tedius puzzle and platform sections. I'm not talking about 1000 enemies randomly spawning over and over, but more along the lines of what TR 2 had. I fell asleep during Shadow my second play through, and I never felt that way towards a TR game. Please make combat fun again, engaging and meaningful.
Mr GaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 09:21   #2
AshesBorn

If it's just more brain dead mercs, then no thanks... I'll stick to exploration and puzzles.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 10:26   #3
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
If it's just more brain dead mercs, then no thanks... I'll stick to exploration and puzzles.
I agree.

I don't know if I find a game boring, the combat would be the the solution. Heck even in TR'13 I get tired of combats already with Shantytown. At least with Shadow combat/stealth was welcome because they were few. Maybe Rise ratio was good, I didn't really mind them I remember.

I admit on replay Shadow was a bit boring and I think I know why. I felt it was because there were some moments in the game when we walk in pretty places with the only thing to do was to collect, with some light platforming sometimes. Well in the story path, because tombs and crypts are far more interesting to traverse and solve, especially because they have a proper level design.

For the next game they should manage to make all of it interesting, whether it's for combat, platforming, exploration or puzzle. I know, it's easier said than done !
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 10:45   #4
Rai

Nope. I'm perfectly fine with the amount in Shadow. It could be nice maybe for more animal encounters, particularly randomly placed rather than in specific areas. Depending on location of course.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 10:57   #5
jajay119

I don’t see why there can’t be more areas for combat but they should be optional side areas, highlighted by a sound effect and a warning that you’re entering a high combat area just like the tombs have been for so long.

I love running round and exploring old places, finding tombs and solving puzzles- that’s what Tomb Raiser is and it’s taken way too long for it to get back to that.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 11:27   #6
charmedangelin

I agree, Shadow had too little combat. The problem is that combat needs an overhaul. For some reason they are still hell-bent on having battle sections. They need to remove the battle sections and actually integrate combat into the level design.

Tomb Raider always had a fair balance of combat and exploration. Eneimes were placed strategically about the levels. Reboot could take a lot of inspiration from the classic Tomb Raider games when it comes to combat.

It's like they went from one extream to the other and that's inexcusable. More combat is needed, but not as much as 2013 and Rise.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 11:37   #7
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I agree, Shadow had too little combat. The problem is that combat needs an overhaul. For some reason they are still hell-bent on having battle sections. They need to remove the battle sections and actually integrate combat into the level design.

Tomb Raider always had a fair balance of combat and exploration. Eneimes were placed strategically about the levels. Reboot could take a lot of inspiration from the classic Tomb Raider games when it comes to combat.

It's like they went from one extream to the other and that's inexcusable. More combat is needed, but not as much as 2013 and Rise.
Its mostly because the bad Cover-based shooting system would ONLY work with battle sections, since without constant waist-high cover enemies pretty much aim-bot you.

I've never been a huge fan of this type of Cover system because it drastically restricts level design.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 13:58   #8
Yeauxleaux

I think of the three Reboot games, Rise had the best balance between combat and other kinds of gameplay.

It was often, but only a little when it did show up. Still a little too much in my opinion, but the right amount for what I would want on a "combat section" of a TR game. It wasn't constant waves of mercs like 2013's Shanty Town had, it wasn't literally hours without seeing a single enemy like Shadow was.

I personally was fine with how it was in Shadow, I thought it was risky and refreshing seeing a high-budget game attempt less combat, but I can see why some might have been bored by it.

As has been said before too, the issue isn't so much the amount of combat, it's also the lack of variety these games have, especially 2013 and Rise (not so much Shadow). It's all human mercenary enemies for the most part, lacking in supernatural enemies and animal encounters like the old games had. It needs better variety and more classical boss battles.

There's also an issue in the reboot games that, maybe again excluding Shadow but still now to an extent, their puzzle and platforming/exploration elements still aren't fully developed and complex enough. So on those sections where there's no combat, there's not much interesting in its place except for "running around aimlessly" as you put it. There's still more they could do with opening up the exploration a little (not necessarily "open world", but less linear/more complex level design) and more involved grander-size puzzles to flesh things out where there isn't combat.

I do think the games need some notable segments with little-to-no combat though. "Tedious" puzzles and quiet platforming segments are part of Tomb Raider's identity and character as a series, and if that's "tedious" and boring to you, then hey maybe it's not the series for you? Not every game needs to conform to the popular constant third person cover shooter model to be "fun", I hate that idea.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 17-11-18 at 14:08.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 14:40   #9
PaNtHERA

I want acrobatic combat like oldies. Combat was much more enjoyable for me both in Classics and LAU. I miss jumping running while shooting automatically.
PaNtHERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 14:49   #10
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
"Tedious" puzzles and quiet platforming segments are part of Tomb Raider's identity and character as a series, and if that's "tedious" and boring to you, then hey maybe it's not the series for you? Not every game needs to conform to the popular constant third person cover shooter model to be "fun", I hate that idea.
But it has to to make money, you know that. To make back the astronomical investment it has to be as generic as possible for a wide as possible audience. It has to be just like the other successful generic videogame series that are made nowadays, except it has to bear the name of a legendary videogame series so that it has a good ring to it, regardless of whether this original series had anything to with the current product. 'Maybe it's not the series for you' is unacceptable: those people have to get on board and the franchise has to change in whatever way necessary to get them to buy it.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote