Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 24-07-22, 09:21   #31
mojtra

I recently finished Shadow of the TR.
I found some beautiful natural environments and some interesting battles - these parts of the game are creative.

But that's only a small part of the game.

Most of the game is about collecting items, hundreds of little items that only show up as 2D icons in the inventory - that's irrelevant, unnecessary and it seems to me like they only did that to hide the fact that they ran out of ideas.

And there's no more challenging platforming, jump'n'run or acrobatics. The climbing looks good, but I never had the feeling that I wanted to learn or practise this way of playing in order to master the game better.

The story of a TR game or Lara's character may be useful for marketing purposes, but they have nothing to do with the game itself.

The game is about what the player actually has to do, about skill, dexterity and - as a counterpart to the fast-paced parts of the game - about standing still and finding the solutions to the puzzles.
And here Shadow of the TR has far too few good moments.

I understand that a company wouldn't release a TR game with only 5 or 10 hours of gameplay, but as a player I would have enjoyed something like that much more.

It's not a bad game, I liked it enough to even play it twice. But I'm always happy to return to playing custom levels.
mojtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-22, 16:17   #32
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
On a surface level they're pretty similar. After all they have the same animations, same model, crafting, skill trees and basecamps, hubs with collectables, side tombs and crypts etc etc. However, once you delve deeper into details, you find the reasons why some people (including me) will pick Rise over Shadow anyday..

To name a few of them, imo:

Rise: balance, polish, diverse hubs, reliable mechanics (like the grapple axe), inoffensive story that didn't bite more than it could chew, no restrictions, no social aspect, bloated skills and upgrades but with the right amount of combat to actually try them.

Shadow: none of the above.
I must insist : and vice versa.
I mostly agree with the reasons you cited and why Shadow is below, but slightly as for myself. Though I can understand those mistakes could sour the enjoyement, after all it depends of how much those things can afect us.
I still can't relate when I saw once a gaming website (don't remember which one) which praise Rise on the very top and being harsh on Shadow, almost bottom on the list. As another example, I thought Gameradar was a bit more logical, with Rise still at top but Shadow not far behind (#4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Rise and Shadow are just completely different, it make sense for people to love one and hate the other and vice versa.
Well that is the first time I see such opinion.
Usually poeple complained "too much of the same", "just with refine mechanics", "basically Rise DLC but in the jungle" (the last one I don't really agree it's a bit extreme)

Last edited by Chamayoo; 24-07-22 at 16:19.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 09:48   #33
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Well that is the first time I see such opinion.
Usually poeple complained "too much of the same", "just with refine mechanics", "basically Rise DLC but in the jungle" (the last one I don't really agree it's a bit extreme)
Similar on the surface but, except for a couple of checkbox openworld activity types, when it comes to what those games want you to do they're completely different.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-22, 14:45   #34
SnatchingEdges

If it didn't have that boring af story it would've been better...

But unfortunately Shadow had to carry a bad legacy from 2013 and Rise.

Some of its bits (Cenote, everything before Paititi) were gold tier Tomb Raider.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 17:21   #35
Shirley_Manson

^ Yep, boring story, completely forgettable, feels like it's being told in slow motion.
Plus being the third game in the trilogy with the same engine and gameplay Shadow kiiinda feels like a big DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 18:14   #36
Costel

Talk already in many threads about it. I wont go in much details again but few reason would be Paititi, outfit restriction, trash outfits forced to wear, nothing to do beside walking and picking stuff inside hubs. All the platforming, puzzles and fighting happens in this small zones around hubs.
Oh and the main villain of the story is meh. Nothing about him made me hate or like him. I was indifferent towards him and for me that is a bad written villain.
Oh and Etzli sucks. Etzli is trash. Oh and Paititi is trash too. Did I mentioned I hate Paititi? Oh yea I HATE PAITITI!!!

Last edited by Costel; 05-03-24 at 11:24.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-22, 11:22   #37
Patrick star

Almost everything involving Paititi is a snoozfest. But then there's snoozfest and pure nerve-torture and Etzli was the latter for me. Every time he speaks...just god. Why couldn't they have made Unuratu slightly older and her son an early 20s guy? much more believable, much less unbearable.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-22, 11:26   #38
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick star View Post
almost everything involving paititi is a snoozfest. But then there's snoozfest and pure nerve-torture and etzli was the latter for me. Every time he speaks...just god. Why couldn't they have made unuratu slightly older and her son an early 20s guy? Much more believable, much less unbearable.
looool i haaate kids that act like fully grown adults
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-22, 15:38   #39
.snake.

It's even more ridiculous when Jonah says towards the end "He's going to be a great leader."

How? Why? What has Etzli done that in any way indicates that?
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 17:36   #40
Dennis's Mom

The dialog is horrible in all the games. Someone is always saying something that feels like it's out of nowhere.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote