Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 20-01-19, 23:07   #361
Patrick Shannon

The Great Wall level also presents a tempting wonderland for glitching, and it's not even necessary to "corrupt" the level to do it. This is an utterly beautiful level.

With a bit of magic thanks to xXApelaumXx's marvelous discoveries of the flare-wall bug and the flare-creep bug, Lara gains unauthorized access to every glitcher's mandatory destination in any Great Wall level: the unreachable roof of the first guard tower!

The view from up here is gorgeous...

Bojrkraider and SrDanielPonces have created an extensive periphery for the game map of this level. Some judicious bugging allows Lara to explore all of its "forbidden" reaches. Here she stands at the inaccessible top of the waterfall, to admire a stunning view of the staircase that climbs up to the third guard tower...

Up in the inaccessible hills on the other side of the wall, she looks down on guard towers four and five. The wall section between them is normally forbidden to players. In standard gameplay, Lara can only look out at it, from inside the barred window of the fourth tower, on the right...

But that won't stop Lara. She just says, "Right! Let's go adventuring!"
And so here she is, trespassing on that off-limits section of the wall...

Hmmm... What could possibly be inside that entrance to the fifth tower?
Alas, only the level builders and we glitchers know for sure!

Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 21-01-19 at 00:27.
Patrick Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 01:40   #362
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Great Wall....
I just played through that level as normal.

Great pictures Patrick, maybe you could post a link to some savepoints at these inaccessible locations as shown on your pictures, so others could put them in the normal game, and get to these locations

I for one am absolutely hopeless at bugging as I just end up with Lara jambed in the wall. I am more into using TR tools in a level to get places

St Marco Square....
As for the St Marco Square level, I used your (save 6) on the corrupted version, and made a video of it, which may interest others, and want to try it....

Venice (save 6) @1.14 mins to 4.40 mins

Last edited by The Great Chi; 31-03-19 at 19:47.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 10:07   #363
Boobandie

Wonderful video Chi. Have you managed to glitch your way into what we can see of the next level yet?

(Completely tangential. But you, Chocolate, and the late rr_carroll, have been major inspirations behind me creating detailed 'background' areas that players don't normally have access to)

Last edited by Boobandie; 21-01-19 at 10:09.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 13:57   #364
Patrick Shannon

In my save 6 of the corrupted version of St. Mark's Square, I've been studying those little hip-mesh "fish" under the pier. I believe they are actually beetles. One appears out of the mud near Lara, and runs forward into that corner of the slip beneath the conversing couple.

If Lara is quick, she can run forward and climb up onto the dock to see the second beetle appear. It comes up out of the concrete, scuttles forward toward her, drops into the water, and scurries around the corner underwater to join the other one on the lagoon floor.

Unlike normal game beetles, they do not seem interested in Lara, and make no attempts to follow her around...

Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 21-01-19 at 13:58.
Old 21-01-19, 15:34   #365
Gabi
Super Moderator

Guys, I am loving this.
Sadly I don't currently have the time to "explore" myself, so please keep the screenshots and videos coming.
Gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 16:11   #366
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Talking Phantom monkey bar swing

Using the corrupt version of St Marks Square, I noticed about every one in three goes that Lara's swing animation on the monkey bars go out of synch, and she swings on phantom monkey bars between the real monkey bars

I am not 100% sure that this is caused by the corrupted level or just a glitch in the normal game. But I would think the corrupted file had something to do with it.

Here is where I tried this, remember to shoot the window in the lane first, before monkey swinging to the window...

here are the results...

GIF....
It was not worth doing a video on it, so here is a short gif on the out-of-synch monkey swing animation, it does not take long to auto load and play....
http://www.mediafire.com/view/7any88...9r/lara111.gif

PS....not sure why the Christmas hat keeps coming and going in all this, must be a corrupted hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Wonderful video Chi. (Completely tangential. But you, Chocolate, and the late rr_carroll, have been major inspirations behind me creating detailed 'background' areas that players don't normally have access to)
Thanks for the kind words. A lot of players love to get to see all of a game, and that includes inaccessible areas. Keep up the good work regarding detailed background areas. We will find them, he he

Last edited by The Great Chi; 21-01-19 at 16:37.
Old 21-01-19, 19:28   #367
Patrick Shannon

I always hope to find some kind of Easter egg hidden away in an inaccessible area... but I can't recall ever finding one. Back in the day, I remember how thrilled I was to finally get across Madubu Gorge to that temple across the river... I was envisioning a secret treasure hoard of pick-ups stashed there by the level builders... but alas, the doors to the temple didn't even open...

Regarding the phantom pole swings in St. Mark's... so far, the horizontal poles in the library and out along the canal seem to work normally for Lara in the corrupted game; but those poles leading up to the alley window are definitely glitchy.

So far, I've managed to play the corrupted level successfully until discovering the House Key missing from the library office. This means the henchmen's house cannot be opened after shooting the two guard dogs.

However, the ever-resourceful Lara notices the glass windows up on the third floor above, ripe for bugging...

She lights a flare, drops it next to the wall, and prepares to perform xXApelaumXx's flare-wall bug...

And voila! She instantly bugs up into the top floor room of the henchmen's house...

From here, she can shoot the window and jump over to the balcony to collect a Venetian Mask...

Jumping back into the room, she can grab the final Venetian mask. At this point Lara has collected all ten Venetian Masks (mis-labeled as "golden bricks" in this corrupted version ), both Bartoli Medallions (labeled as "loads"), all three secrets, and the motor boat.

However, she has only one of the Xian Clan Sign halves (called "loads"). The other half is held by a thug down on the floor below (assuming he even exists in this corrupted version). Since the door into this room was never opened from the other side in normal game play, Lara is stymied. Without that other half of the Xian clan sign, she cannot open the final canal gate and reach the end trigger area.

Hoping to somehow get past that door, she tries a diagonal flare-creep... but merely finds herself jammed up in non-game space, able only to make futile, truncated jumps...

So, she side-flips back out, and leaves the room by dropping from the open window.

Is Lara trapped in corrupted Venice forever? Perhaps so...

Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 21-01-19 at 22:58.
Old 22-01-19, 12:23   #368
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Nice exploration Patrick

Getting back to the Great wall level, you see such a beautiful level it is, just as wonderful as the Venice level. This is what I like about the builders of this custom game, as anyone can build square rooms and long corridors with the game editor and put a few basic textures in it. But it takes real imagination to create levels like this that are thinking way out of the box, and thats why I love these levels, that really stand out on TRLE net. It has a rating of 9.3 out of 10 so far, and that's real good and well deserved. They are way beyond the original levels they were based on with regard design and just sheer beauty. Though new gen textures and design does help.

Getting back to bugging and modding, it is one of the ways of getting around the whole of the level. The other way is to edit the script with scripter4 and that lets us use the fly cheat DOZY, not sure if that works with FLEP new gen games though, as I cannot test it as the TR tool 'scripter4' does not work on my win7 computer, can someone check please, and maybe supply a modified script with DOZY on here? (Thanks) it would be nice to see these levels by air

Anyway, with Patrick's bugging saves we can see more of the Great Wall....
Here you can see the realistic Great wall, as in real life it does have such steep sections of wall...

This next inaccessible location shows the builders dramatic design of wall, note the waterfall in the distance....

Finally, just for the shear beauty, we see the level from the waterfall itself, and this is why exploring all of a level, makes the game far more enjoyable.

Last edited by The Great Chi; 22-01-19 at 12:37.
Old 23-01-19, 17:22   #369
Patrick Shannon

Nice screenshots, Great Chi. It's true, SrDanielPonces and Bojrkraider have an obvious talent for creating beautiful, breath-taking vistas. I can't wait to see what they do with the next levels!

Getting back to Lara stranded in the corrupted St. Mark's level, she suddenly realized that she can indeed get to the end trigger without using the Xian Clan Sign to open that final gate for the motorboat. She can go "overland" instead...

She makes her way from the henchman's house to the alley courtyard where she picked up one of the early Venetian Masks... she can see the end trigger area beyond the locked gate of the brick wall...

A flare-wall bug teleports her atop that brick wall...

Where she can hop down to the final area. The end trigger is just over that wood and mesh fence ahead on her left... it is the alley where she begins the Venice level in the original game...

Out on the dock where she would have parked the motorboat, she looks at the wall where she would normally start climbing and jumping to reach the awning where she could leap over the fence into the next level... but... there seems to be a tempting inaccessible area beyond that gate...

Another flare-wall bug takes her to the top of the wall, with a stub area beyond...

Looking down, she sees a dock, a tunnel entrance, and a canal...

Lara dives into the water, explores the canal, (which merely leads to a dead end,) and then climbs out onto the dock... where does that intriguing tunnel go? Only the builders and we glitchers know for sure, hee, hee...

Lara bugs back over the wall, but before leaving the final area, she bugs up onto the roof for one final peek behind the curtain of creation...

And from here, (directly above the awning where she would normally jump across to the trigger,) she can prepare to leap across in grand style. As much as she would like to bypass the end trigger and explore that area beyond, she will have to wait for the next level from SrDanielPonces and Bojrkraider. There is no way to bug up and over because the buildings there have no top surfaces. So, Lara calls it all good and jumps. When she passes over the fence, the level ends, the final cutscene for The Great Wall level plays, and the game crashes to desktop!

Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 23-01-19 at 17:27.
Old 23-01-19, 19:46   #370
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Talking Flycheat (at last)

A far more useful tool for exploring is the flycheat, I have a friend on here that gave me a flycheat that allows flying (swimming)
in this FLEP new gen game. This now allows me to fly anywhere in this wonderful game and enjoy sky high views or come out of
the fly cheat and land on any solid ground

Lovely views from on high....used flycheat to get up there to the solid roof of boat house

Up close to this statue...Just look at the amazing detail

Using Patrick's invisible Lara save...to see the tower from high up (fly an invisible Lara to not have her in the view)

Using Patrick's invisible Lara save...to see the other high statue

Using Patrick's invisible Lara save...Pidgeon's eye view of St Marks square, he he

Seeing the helicopter flying away...Come back, don't leave me here

A high view of the wall...

Getting up close to the wild life....Argh! Just look at those teeth

Last edited by The Great Chi; 31-01-19 at 01:58.