Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 03-01-15, 02:35   #1
larafan25

Arrow Finding Lara's Face

I've posted this here because the fanwork section might be overlooked, and doesn't necessarily lend itself to an interactive thingamajig

So, I thought it would be fun to deck TR1 Lara out in some photo texture, which I am currently doing. But my overall goal has been to find a safe spot, or a balance between Lara's definite characteristics and a more realistic looking portrayal. The reason I've brought it into a thread is because I know y'all like to talk about Lara's face. I decided to make it a sort of tug-o-war creative process in which, with your help (and possibly clashing opinions) we could find a face for Lara.

This is where I am currently:

It's first going to be a 1:1 covering of Lara with photos, to inject some texture and reality. However, once that point has been reached, as I said, I'd like to try and create a more believable interpretation of TR1 Lara, with y'alls help.

Currently, even as a 1:1 trace-over, I've rounded some edges and have left some room to breathe (), as well I let the photos do a lot of the work. But, as you can see here, her cheeks are currently very full, due to the original photo and the way it has been manipulated so far. These are details I tend to forget, so when it comes to paying attention to Lara's bone structure, I'll need opinionz.

Progression:

With FearEffect's edits

Last edited by larafan25; 06-01-15 at 17:50.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 02:38   #2
Phlip
Inactive

Very, very interesting concept. A good, true way to see what a modern Lara would look like.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 02:43   #3
larafan25

It's a creepy way too.

That's what I love about photoshop. Like. It creates the standard of beauty that confuses us all. The edible models who don't eat or ****. Yet. The process is so gory looking and horrific sometimes. It's weird.

But yes. This should be interesting. I hope it turns out well.

edit: This just in: When you give TR1 Lara a thicker neck, her face looks like a thumb. FYI.

Last edited by larafan25; 03-01-15 at 02:49.
Old 03-01-15, 02:52   #4
Sardoc

Interesting, let's see how this develops.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 03:08   #5
tomblover

This is sehr cool.

I think, so far, just pinch the bridge of her nose a little bit (countour so it looks smaller, I guess) and turn the tip down a tad. Maybe make it a little bigger overall, or save that for the non-1:1 thing.
Also, for her brows... They curve upwards a little where they meet her nose. Lessen that? Lara's are straighter there, but the "outside" arch is identical.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 03:59   #6
larafan25

I love so much that you have a Lana avatar right now.

I was working with another nose, at one point. But it wasn't pointed enough. Then I used Lana's nose, and it was perfectly pointed, but like you said. It's sticking upward too much. Imma try to fix that without mucking it up too much.

Currently, the eyes are the hardest part. It's hard to give her giant bug eyes without giving her giant bug eyes.
Old 03-01-15, 04:00   #7
SebCroc

This... Is actually amazing (in a funny way) XD I really look forward to seeing it completed. It's always so off-putting when videogame characters are recreated realistically
SebCroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 04:06   #8
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebCroc View Post
This... Is actually amazing (in a funny way) XD I really look forward to seeing it completed. It's always so off-putting when videogame characters are recreated realistically
It is, tbh. We need to give CD more credit.

Anyways. Pinched the nose and brought the bridge down a bit. As well, turned the tip of the nose down:

I think I need to make her overall skin tone more yellowish like you see around the roots of her hair.

Last edited by larafan25; 03-01-15 at 04:21.
Old 03-01-15, 04:09   #9
GUMI

She looks like an alien. Lmfao. Interesting project!
GUMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 04:33   #10
Vinkula

I like it. Very much. Nice to see Lara doesn't look like a model
Vinkula is offline   Reply With Quote